Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake vs. Break - grammar lesson

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a verb, the word brake means to slow down or stop.

As a noun, brake is a device for slowing or stopping motion.

The word break means to smash or to shatter as in to break a cup. It also means to take a recess, as in a coffe break.

You're preaching to deaf ears, Ron. The misspellings of homophones on here are rampant, but other than a few of us like you and me, no one seems to care.

But let someone conflate kilowatts with kilowatt-hours, and they lower the boom.

And, coffee has two e's! LOL

As a verb, the word brake means to slow down or stop.

As a noun, brake is a device for slowing or stopping motion.

The word break means to smash or to shatter as in to break a cup. It also means to take a recess, as in a coffe break.

Third post is an off-topic grammar missive?

Yep, you're gonna get on here just fine. Welcome.

Oddly, most spelling errors and instances of someone using the wrong homophone I notice but have learned not to care about. However, break/brake is a particularly jarring one for me in postings about vehicles because vehicles can break and they can brake (fail to brake, you break your car) and both meanings sometimes make sense until you've read a little further and the brain goes "whoa!" because it assumed the writer used the correct word when they didn't, but the error isn't apparent until a few words later when the sentence no longer makes sense.

Many a time I've resisted the urge to point out the difference, but have restrained my inner grammar-Nazi. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to let this out. I feel better now.

Last edited:
There were times when I spotted spelling or grammar mistakes in my own posts after reading them later on, but for some odd reason this forum locks you out of the ability to edit after a certain time. What gives?