Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes -- caliper running against rotor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had the brakes replaced on our X earlier this week. We are now hearing a high-pitched squeaking sound, metal on metal, from the front driver's side. It may be that the brake and caliper are rubbing against each other. We are out of town, and it's fairly rural, no idea where the closest service center is. We have a 144-mile drive home, not sure if it's safe to drive. We will contact our home service center tomorrow but anyone have any advice in the meantime?

Would put a call into Tesla Service. Probably something that could be handled by any local brake shop. The Tesla Brakes are from Brembo. Most every brake shop would be familiar with them. If it is something Tesla specific, perhaps they can handle it via OTA or even ranger service.

We had the brakes replaced on our X earlier this week. We are now hearing a high-pitched squeaking sound, metal on metal, from the front driver's side. It may be that the brake and caliper are rubbing against each other. We are out of town, and it's fairly rural, no idea where the closest service center is. We have a 144-mile drive home, not sure if it's safe to drive. We will contact our home service center tomorrow but anyone have any advice in the meantime?
When did this start? How do your rotors look? Are your pads worn down enough the backing plate is rubbing on the rotor?

When did this start? How do your rotors look? Are your pads worn down enough the backing plate is rubbing on the rotor?
We just had new brakes installed Tuesday, so we are afraid they screwed up something. It started last night, about five we arrived at my in-laws house, who live in a remote location. Been trying to reach our home service center all morning, no one answers.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. They probably just adjusted the caliper position a hair to close to the rotor. Maybe they did it when the car was cold, and after driving a bit the heat expanded the components just enough to make contact. Likely any brake shop could resolve this. I assume the brakes work fine?

We just had new brakes installed Tuesday, so we are afraid they screwed up something. It started last night, about five we arrived at my in-laws house, who live in a remote location. Been trying to reach our home service center all morning, no one answers.
Oh, in that case it's likely they just bent the rotor shield. If the rotor looks fine and there's no contact from a backing plate, that's where I'd start. Which corner was this again?

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. They probably just adjusted the caliper position a hair to close to the rotor. Maybe they did it when the car was cold, and after driving a bit the heat expanded the components just enough to make contact. Likely any brake shop could resolve this. I assume the brakes work fine?
Calipers don't have adjustment.