Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes groan and creak - 2020 MX 6k miles

jrofman

Nov 20, 2018
Los Angeles
I had this problem looked at by a service rep and was told every model x does this. When about to stop or releasing the brake from a stop on an incline or decline the brakes on my model x just groan and creek. It’s not from the hold feature always, but is this common from other’s experience? Or does the Tesla just have crappy rotors and brake pads or inadequate brakes? My old BMW X5 didn’t do this, nor does my model y or my previous model 3. Any advice would be great.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
MA, NH
My 2019 with 20K does not do that.
They can make some odd noises turning tightly in parking lots with auto hold on.

How do your rotors look?

Some folks don’t use their brakes enough and they can become very rough/ pitted.

I always make sure I dry out my rotors after washing the car or it rains (on any car) but it’s particularly important on cars with regenerative braking.

Also driving the car enough regularly also helps. Sitting for long periods isn’t good for the rotors.

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
I notice it less if I've had a moment where I've had to use the brakes hard recently. So, I think it's probably just lack of use.

If I had to guess why Model Y doesn't do it, I'd bet it's a pad compound difference between the cars. Model X needs more heat tolerance thanks to power and weight.

FirstInTown

Sep 22, 2020
Northern Wi
My 2020 doesn't really do this, but get close. When left in the garage for 4 humid days, when drop next, on first movement, the brakes made a creak/groan. Normally, they don't do this. 13,500 miles at this point

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC