Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes not working after braking hard, please help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just washed my Roadster 2.0 and tried to brake hard afterwards to make sure the brake discs would not get rusty before parking the car.
I could not activate the ABS so I braked very hard to try to activate, without success.

But I managed to totally disable the braking function. I can now push the brake all the way and nothing happens, no braking.

So now the only way of braking is to use the regen and handbrake. If this happens to you, please remember to use the handbrake if you need to brake, it took a minute before I figured that out....

It has happened about two years ago that the brake pump did not work, so Tesla Service replaced it. I did not drive that car so I don't know the details, but the person driving said she had to brake really hard to get it to work before this was fixed. But now the brake doesn't work at all. Did this happen to anone else, any advice on how to fix it?
Need to use the car in a few hours :(

Thanks for the replies. Excuse my poor communication. "I can now push the brake all the way and nothing happens, no braking." was supposed to mean that there is no pressure building while the pedal is pushed all the way to the floor :)
It is not "ice mode".
The brake fluid was changed about a month ago.
The brake reservoir was filled and the hoses looked fine.
When the car is parked and I push the brake back and forth, there seems to be some pressure building, but it quickly looses the pressure and the pedal can easily be floored.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wiztecy
Found the problem. Was a small hole in the "metal hose" that goes to the right front wheel, so there was a leak making it impossible to build enough pressure.

There has probably been some tear since I drive with smaller winterwheels (15" instead of 16"), so my fault. Now I need to wait until they get the hose, I am used to it taking a month to get part for the Roadster, if they order the right part...

• Helpful
Reactions: wiztecy
Glad you found the issue and happy you found it while "testing" out the brakes while cleaning them off after your wash rather than having to do a real world emergency panic stop. Yes, when the pedal goes down to the floor there's been some compromise to the 'closed' braking system, either by letting air pockets in or by letting fluid out which then air pockets typically fill-in afterwards.

Thanks for adding the details, that'll help the next person significantly if they find themselves with similar symptoms.

No problem on the communication, happy you post on the US forums. I'm sure I'd have the same communication challenges posting on your side of the world. Just want to ensure we add proper solutions / troubleshooting steps and understanding what and how it happened for our own reference as well.