Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes Question for 22 M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to turn off regen braking? I don't think I see an option. When I had my 16 MS70, there was an option. I am noticing that after rainy days (which is a lot so far), the brakes squeak SUPER LOUD when reversing or using the brakes.

I had Tesla Service come out (for another reason), and he said the only recommendation was to go super fast and brake once in awhile since the car has performance brakes. If I do that, then my Tesla Insurance will dock points for aggressive braking. Catch 22!

Any tips or recommendations?

Only possible with a M3P using track mode so what the tech said was true. The car will also use the brakes if regen is 100% capable of slowing the car so that might help. I noticed some noise with my wife's Model Y LR but after they introduced blended braking it seems to use the brakes enough that the noise doesn't happen anymore.

Reactions: jaygeewin
No such option on recent cars. There are a few ways to use the brakes anyway:
- brake harder than the regen provides, as you suggest. I find the regen not enough to stop at a stop sign so I always use by brakes a bit... You don't need to push them hard.
- a cold battery will have less regen, or no regen when it's cold enough. Happens here in winter but maybe not in Texas.
- a full or nearly full battery will also have low or no regen... You might sometimes charge full and then go for a drive.

or you live with the squeak. Your brakes still work, there's no security issue.

EDIT: OH: the S3XY buttons do provide regen adjustments, if that's something you're interested in...