TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Brakes squeak when backing up slowly on brand new MX

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by LCBlue, Sep 30, 2016.

1. LCBlue

LCBlue Member

Hey guys,

I just picked up my 60D MX yesterday. Overall happy with build quality and fit and finish. I have noticed a slight brake squeak sometimes when backing out of the driveway slowly. Otherwise brakes seem fine. Do you guys think this is just the brakes needing to "break in" or something I should have SC look at?

Thanks!

--LCL

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I had a nasty squeak on mine when I pulled it out of the showroom. They told me it was a cleaning product, and would go away in a day or two. It did.

• Like x 1
  3. outie

outie Member

Brake squeak is normal most of the time. As long as it works it's not a safety concern. If it doesn't go away in a few days and if you are concerned then take it in to see what they will do. I guess if the brake works they will not do anything other than spraying some brake cleaner on it.

Our BMW brake squeaks since day 1 (not just when car is cold, all the time) and every time we take it in for maintenance they say the brake is normal and will not replace them because the pads/rotors are still above replacement-spec, although they are able to replicate the noise every single time. It's annoying.

4. Wynn

Wynn Member

I've had mine for a month, about 700 miles on it now. The brakes squeak too, sometimes loudly, when backing out of my garage.

5. TSammy

TSammy Member

what is "brake cleaner"? Should we all use this?

6. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> what is "brake cleaner"? Should we all use this? [TSammy]

No, this is for cleaning out brake drums that are clogged with brake dust and (often) leaked brake fluid. A messy job that requires this highly volatile cleaning fluid. Nasty stuff that should be kept off plastic or painted surfaces ie nowhere near a Tesla.

If Tesla brake discs get rusty you can clean them by actually using your brakes as opposed to relying solely on regen. Also don't weasel the brakes - either use them positively or don't use them at all (just regen instead).
    --