Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes stick when switching to reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s certainly no way to disable it as people generally expect their cars to stay where they were left when parked.
I am learning. I thought my Tesla had a "stop" , a parking prawl, on a drive gear when you placed it into park to hold it like a normal car. I hope the parking brake is better than an ICE car, because those were never sufficient to hold a car on a hill. Park always kept it parked.

Reactions: ucmndd
The past week I've twice got into my car in my garage in the morning (after it was sitting overnight), powered on the car and selected Reverse yet the car won't move when I apply the usual light pressure to the accelerator. The first time I thought I'd done something wrong and switched back to Park, then back to Reverse. Same result so I just pushed a little harder on the accelerator and it felt like the car strained against the brakes then they released with a "clunk" and abrupt movement. Same thing today. Anybody experienced this?
We still have this problem, car is in the shop now its crazy 3 years now!

The past week I've twice got into my car in my garage in the morning (after it was sitting overnight), powered on the car and selected Reverse yet the car won't move when I apply the usual light pressure to the accelerator. The first time I thought I'd done something wrong and switched back to Park, then back to Reverse. Same result so I just pushed a little harder on the accelerator and it felt like the car strained against the brakes then they released with a "clunk" and abrupt movement. Same thing today. Anybody experienced this?
We have the same problem and the local dealer refuses to look at it or even fix it for 3 years now and the problem is only getting worse. Now they are saying they know the problem and its the disc brakes fusing to the rotors. Now they are saying its common even the new cars do it. This means they have been lying to us for 3 years, we are at a loss of what to do they are threatening us with Tesla`s legal department if we continue to try to get the car fixed. Crazy crazy experience They have a design problem resulting in a defect and safety flaw and expect us to ignore it.

We have the same problem and the local dealer refuses to look at it or even fix it for 3 years now and the problem is only getting worse. Now they are saying they know the problem and its the disc brakes fusing to the rotors. Now they are saying its common even the new cars do it. This means they have been lying to us for 3 years, we are at a loss of what to do they are threatening us with Tesla`s legal department if we continue to try to get the car fixed. Crazy crazy experience They have a design problem resulting in a defect and safety flaw and expect us to ignore it.
My BMWs and Mercedes had this same issue when you park the car with the emergency brake on when the rotors are wet. It is not a design defect. It is normal for the rotors to corrode as they dry and fuse to the brake pads. If Tesla had a true "park" with a stop gear on it, you may not be forced to use the Tesla emergency brake, which is applied automatically for you even if you park in a flat garage or surface. Without the emergency brake applied, you would not experience this issue.

To anybody that thinks the brake pads sticking to the rotors after getting wet and being parked is a problem, then just replace your brakes pads with non-metallic ones (ceramic brake pads). The OEM pads are semi-metallic, which means that they actually have metal particles in the friction material. Those particles rust to the steel rotors and stick. I went through a few months 2 years ago where my brakes would stick like this, until I started using my brake pedal every time it rained or I washed my car. That helped dry them out versus just relying on regen.

we are at a loss of what to do they are threatening us with Tesla`s legal department if we continue to try to get the car fixed.
You could always stop wasting their time and your time trying to fix a problem that is not actually a problem. 💡

You could also stop responding to the same post in the same thread with the same info repeatedly in hopes of a different result.

Reactions: leonwu and dbldwn02

This is an old problem with brake pads and getting wet. My 1992 Buick did the same thing in the winter if I put the parking brake on in the garage. New cars have electronic parking brakes that always engage when you park. For electric cars it's a necessity because you don't have the transmission (in automatic transmission ICE) to hold the car in place when parked.

In wet weather the brakes get wet along with the wheels. When the parking brake is engaged, the pads develop rust and stick. It doesn't matter if they are disc or drum, if the brake pads have any iron in them, they will rust to the wheel.

It's Physics. Someone mentioned getting ceramic brake pads. It's about the only solution, though I don't think ceramic has the stopping power of pads with steel embedded.

Reactions: dbldwn02
You could always stop wasting their time and your time trying to fix a problem that is not actually a problem. 💡

You could also stop responding to the same post in the same thread with the same info repeatedly in hopes of a different result.
To anybody that thinks the brake pads sticking to the rotors after getting wet and being parked is a problem, then just replace your brakes pads with non-metallic ones (ceramic brake pads). The OEM pads are semi-metallic, which means that they actually have metal particles in the friction material. Those particles rust to the steel rotors and stick. I went through a few months 2 years ago where my brakes would stick like this, until I started using my brake pedal every time it rained or I washed my car. That helped dry them out versus just relying on regen.

You will continue to have this problem, as it's not actually a problem.

This is an old problem with brake pads and getting wet. My 1992 Buick did the same thing in the winter if I put the parking brake on in the garage. New cars have electronic parking brakes that always engage when you park. For electric cars it's a necessity because you don't have the transmission (in automatic transmission ICE) to hold the car in place when parked.

In wet weather the brakes get wet along with the wheels. When the parking brake is engaged, the pads develop rust and stick. It doesn't matter if they are disc or drum, if the brake pads have any iron in them, they will rust to the wheel.

It's Physics. Someone mentioned getting ceramic brake pads. It's about the only solution, though I don't think ceramic has the stopping power of pads with steel embedded.
This is a New Car under warranty, Do you work for Tesla your on like 15000 post?

This is a New Car under warranty, Do you work for Tesla your on like 15000 post?
Yes. We all work for Tesla. We’re actually all TeslaBot AI accounts programmed to tell you the same thing to throw you off the scent of the serious problem and safety defect you’ve discovered.

Warranties are for things that are broken, not imaginary problems.

LOL You are vary funny!
Honest question: how often does this really happen for you? As others have repeatedly stated, this is not a defect or real problem. Iron rusts, almost “instantly” in the case of rotors. Usually the worst after a car wash. Normal rain driving and then next day start will also produce the clunk as you overcome the sticking pad-to-rotor condition.
If this happens daily, then you may have an issue with the pad guide pins/sliders getting stuck or not being lubricated.
If there’ll be a break in the rain here soon, I’ll wash the car and post pics of the rotors and maybe even a quick vid upon first drive after to show you it’s a naturally occurring thing. That’s why I pull the car into the street and then put it into the garage - minimizes the water on the rotor and pads as they dry.

Reactions: android04
Happens to me every time I wash my car or drive in rain/snow and then park in the garage. Pads rust to the rotors. It's not rocket science. You're wasting your time taking the car into service for this. SMH. They're not going to "fix" it. Get used to it or sell the car and buy a gas one with an automatic transmission.

No, I don`t think so. A tesla tech came to the house to try to drive the car. The event we are talking about happened again . He also looked at the videos and he agreed that there is something abnormal and he needed the vehicle at the shop to check it out. We took it to the shop and the service writer and manager stopped the tech cold. We called Tesla`s 800 number and they picked it up and towed the S to another service center, 100 miles away. They agreed with what I told them about what this group was saying, they tried soaking the pads and made them fusing to the rotors. They agreed with the mobil rep and told me to turn the regenerative brake all the way down. We have done this and heated the brakes after the cars wash after we had picked it up (saturday). I moved the car in the garage on monday and nothing,Tried again tonight (thursday) and it has locked up again. I`ve been in the Car Biz for a 20 plus years never have i experienced anything like this. It must be more than wet brakes, I have tried everything to keep them dry for years now. Our S is an 2018 with 20,000 on it and we love it and have no intention on getting rid of her. Just need to find out what this defect is. Thanks All!