TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Brakes sticks

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by towman26, Aug 23, 2013.

1. towman26

towman26 Member

So we don't use the brakes that much but I'm having a issue. Every time when we go to leave the house when I put it in reverse the car makes a loud clunking noise. After the first initial moving of the car it doesn't happen again until the next day or two. The rotors have a light surface rusting (more like a film of tan dust) in the brake area of the rotor but the rest of the rotor is rusting pretty good. It is way worse if I wash the car in the evening and don't drive it for a day or two. Unfortunately I don't get to drive it all the time so if it sits for two or more days I really have to put the pedal down for it to move. Anybody have this going on

2. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Sounds like your parking brakes aren't disengaging correctly.

I'd have it inspected at a local shop.

3. highfalutintodd

It's happened to me a couple of times, when it's been driven in the rain and put away wet to sit there overnight.

IIRC, speculation on other threads is that the parking brake rusts to the rotor in those types of situations and then they have to "break free" which causes that clunking sound.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Yes, that's the reason. When put away wet, your brakes will stick to the rotor. It's normal for them to break loose like that. Happens to a lot of cars that use bigger brakes.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's normal. Happens occasionally with my Model S. Happened once in a while with my former Infiniti G37. Happens often with my Roadster.

6. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

Happens a lot with my roadster

7. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Whenever I wash the car I take it around the block afterwards and do a few hard stops to dry the brakes, and I don't set the parking brake. Completely solves the sticking problem.

8. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

I agree with everyone here: it's likely due to wet conditions. Have you been out in the rain quite a bit, or do you wash your car frequently (or a combination of both)?

9. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Happens every time I wash the car, but don't move it til the morning.

10. towman26

towman26 Member

Thanks for the info, I was sure it had to do with the water My parking brake applies every time it is in park so I guess its something I have to deal with. I know im going to paint the stud area of the rotor to stop that rust look