Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes/Suspension Noise when coming to a stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want peoples opinions and thoughts on an ongoing issue I've had with my 2016 X with just 1K miles. Is your Model X completely quiet when coming to a stop??

When coming to a complete stop, as soon as the car stops it makes a weird creak noise. Think of a 18 wheeler coming to a dead stop and the noise you hear when its come to a stop. I don't know exactly how to describe the noise.

I took the car to service and rode with the service manager and he also noticed the noise and we agreed it was not a normal sound. Yesterday I was picking up my car and the service guy told me its a normal sound when coming to a stop, without much feedback.

Any advice from MX owners please?

I have the exact same issue on my S when using my 21" turbine rims. On my 19 " cyclone rims it is dead silent
I have not found a sution to this, and Tesla does not know either it seems.

Not much help in this reply, but you are not alone. Would love to get it fixed

It's the brakes engaging vehicle hold. They grab pretty hard. The X will not move an inch, not even on a steep hill.

Try turning vehicle hold off, see if the noise goes away.

I think it's worth the quirky creak from the brakes. It's hard to compare to other cars since I've not had one that has the same feature. The closest was a car with hill assist that often made a similar sound.

I noticed the sound as well when coming to a complete stop as well best way I was able to describe the sound is a creaking sound but with a deep tone vs high pitch squeaking. Also the brakes squeak in reverse every day when I'm leaving my garage which has a tiny very minimal slope.

Assuming you have AS, try turning it off for a few days and see what happens. That might tell you if that is the source or not. It could also be the brakes. Ours only get used during the last few mph and make some noise, especially after being washed or a rain storm due to corrosion.

Sorry for the late responses. I've avoided messing with air suspension to see if it helps but it doesn't. Just to clarify I have the stock 20 inch wheels. Whether rain or shine the brakes my noise. I understand if it makes noise if theres corrosion build up from rain but even on bright sunny days it'll make noise when coming to a full stop.

Tesla Service tries to not deal with the problem by saying that its a normal noise from the Model X.

On another note, what happens if I have to take the car into service for the same issue more than 3 times? Although the first time they claim it as a normal noise,and didn't do any repairs, would it count as servicing brake attempt 1?

I recently came across the shuddering issue as well. I was okay with purchasing the car knowing that this car will have issues due to being first year production. But, the fact that Tesla Service tries to avoid the concerns of owners by saying that its a normal sound is just crazy.

I've recently started hearing rattles in the passenger side door as well, but dont want to take it in cause service will just say its normal. HA.

Cross posting - this is not unique to X. I have an S. And it's an 85D with ~35k miles, so I don't know that it's mileage based per se. Beyond that I can't say what or why. I planned to ask at my next service, which will be soon. I'm sure someone with more technical acumen will offer an explanation before that. If not, I will post what I learn. In my case, I'm assuming it will be wear or cleaning the pads, but we'll see.

I want peoples opinions and thoughts on an ongoing issue I've had with my 2016 X with just 1K miles. Is your Model X completely quiet when coming to a stop??

When coming to a complete stop, as soon as the car stops it makes a weird creak noise. Think of a 18 wheeler coming to a dead stop and the noise you hear when its come to a stop. I don't know exactly how to describe the noise.

I took the car to service and rode with the service manager and he also noticed the noise and we agreed it was not a normal sound. Yesterday I was picking up my car and the service guy told me its a normal sound when coming to a stop, without much feedback.

Any advice from MX owners please?
Model S75 here. 8K miles. Sounds like same symptoms. I find it annoying on this expensive and otherwise awesome car.

We've owned a lot of different cars, sports cars, sports sedans, small and large SUVs.

Never had this noise in any of them except in our 2017 P100D MX. The squeak when stopping, it's a mushy squeaky sound that makes a $165k vehicle sound like a $5k used car.

Appointment for various other issues set for 2 weeks, hopefully they can adjust something to eliminate this. It's not normal for any brake system to make this type of noise if property installed.