TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Brakes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by kevincwelch, Jul 1, 2012.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Did anyone slam on the brakes during the test drive? How was the stopping power?

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I didn't do an extremely hard stop, but found the regen and braking both to be adequate

3. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

If you check out the videos that people posted in the Fremont test drive thread, there were at least a couple who slammed on the brakes. I believe the one where they drove Elon's car was among them. The drivers seemed to indicate that it stopped very effectively.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

And the passengers. /chuckle

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, I slammed the brakes in Elon's car - after warning the passengers (see video). I hit it hard enough to trigger the ABS. It stopped quite quickly, and did not "feel" heavy. I also did a brief hard brake at 80 mph, no problem.

I think the low center of gravity helps with the braking - it reduces the weight transfer, which means the rear wheels are helping more than they would on most cars.

6. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

#6 Trnsl8r, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Here you go, from the Fremont event:

Go to the 3:00 minute mark and you'll see me slamming the breaks from about 40-45 mph or so. I was really impressed.

7. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Hi Kevin,

While driving at Fremont I didn't realize we were coming into a sharp right hand turn when coming off the straight away at high speed. I hit the brakes very hard!! They worked beautifully with no fade.

Larry

8. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

9. Zextraterrestrial

I slammed the brakes from about 105-110mph with 5 people in the car ....AWESOME!!!!!
    I did get a tiny shimmy that felt super controllable but I didn't try swerving. So the ABS was definitely kicked in
    that was on the way back in at the Factory. so it was legal and my copilot seemed fine with it
    Braking from 35mph was practically instant

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I stopped hard from 100 mph. It did fine, but I could tell the brakes were warm after. I would have liked to do a second stop from 100 to further judge fade.

11. ddruz

ddruz Member

I spoke with George B. before my test drive at LA and he told me how much fun it was to floor the car then slam on the brakes along the straight away at the beginning and end of the circuit. So I did exactly that three times, once at the beginning and twice at the end. I concur that the brakes grabbed fabulously and the ABS did a great job. My copilot was astonished and all my guest's belonging got thrown forward all around the car. I told him George told me to try it. George was right, it was fun!

12. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Awesome.
    Thanks for all the great responses.

13. dtich

dtich #P708

yep. couldn't lock it up, i stood on em at the end of the straightaway.. felt really really solid. a quick, smooth decel just like you want, no lunge or swerve. the car was immediately just so comfortable to drive. very safe feeling on all fronts.

really wanted to feel what the car did with the dynamic stability program off, but my tesla co-pilot wouldn't let me. she almost jumped out of her seat when i pressed the button to bypass it (has a confirm step)! lol. she was great though.