Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you check out the videos that people posted in the Fremont test drive thread, there were at least a couple who slammed on the brakes. I believe the one where they drove Elon's car was among them. The drivers seemed to indicate that it stopped very effectively.

Yeah, I slammed the brakes in Elon's car - after warning the passengers (see video). I hit it hard enough to trigger the ABS. It stopped quite quickly, and did not "feel" heavy. I also did a brief hard brake at 80 mph, no problem.

I think the low center of gravity helps with the braking - it reduces the weight transfer, which means the rear wheels are helping more than they would on most cars.

I slammed the brakes from about 105-110mph with 5 people in the car ....AWESOME!!!!!
I did get a tiny shimmy that felt super controllable but I didn't try swerving. So the ABS was definitely kicked in
that was on the way back in at the Factory. so it was legal and my copilot seemed fine with it
Braking from 35mph was practically instant

I spoke with George B. before my test drive at LA and he told me how much fun it was to floor the car then slam on the brakes along the straight away at the beginning and end of the circuit. So I did exactly that three times, once at the beginning and twice at the end. I concur that the brakes grabbed fabulously and the ABS did a great job. My copilot was astonished and all my guest's belonging got thrown forward all around the car. I told him George told me to try it. George was right, it was fun!

yep. couldn't lock it up, i stood on em at the end of the straightaway.. felt really really solid. a quick, smooth decel just like you want, no lunge or swerve. the car was immediately just so comfortable to drive. very safe feeling on all fronts.

really wanted to feel what the car did with the dynamic stability program off, but my tesla co-pilot wouldn't let me. she almost jumped out of her seat when i pressed the button to bypass it (has a confirm step)! lol. she was great though.