Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Braking [groaning noise when braking]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are cases where the brakes become noisy after a while. It depends how you drive your car. IF you drive relatively gently, regen does all the braking for you and the brakes never see significant friction and heat. The surface rust that builds up naturally in humidity, when it rains etc never gets removed and the brakes become noisy.
If that is your situation, it's recommended that you do a few "hard" braking sessions from time to time. People used to recommend driving a bit with the low regen setting but that setting is not available on newer cars. If you do hard brakings, make SURE you are not followed by anyone and do that in a safe area.

There are cases where the brakes become noisy after a while. It depends how you drive your car. IF you drive relatively gently, regen does all the braking for you and the brakes never see significant friction and heat. The surface rust that builds up naturally in humidity, when it rains etc never gets removed and the brakes become noisy.
If that is your situation, it's recommended that you do a few "hard" braking sessions from time to time. People used to recommend driving a bit with the low regen setting but that setting is not available on newer cars. If you do hard brakings, make SURE you are not followed by anyone and do that in a safe area.
Car is brand new 150 miles in it

Surface rust doesn't take that much time to happen. Maybe there was a bit of rust on the rotors from the time between production and delivery... It was transported for a while without driving...
If you want you can remove the aero covers if you have any and have a look at the brake rotors. Either they look shiny like a mirror and it's something else, or they are dull and slightly rusty.

Have the same issue, slowing to a stop when turning into parking spots. Car delivered in December 2021. Did you ever get resolution? Tesla service tried bedding the brakes with no luck. They then told me it was “normal” after putting it on the rack and digging for more clues. Said if it persists after a few thousand miles I should come back…

Have the same issue, slowing to a stop when turning into parking spots. Car delivered in December 2021. Did you ever get resolution? Tesla service tried bedding the brakes with no luck. They then told me it was “normal” after putting it on the rack and digging for more clues. Said if it persists after a few thousand miles I should come back…
I got the same answer. Give it some time. Nothing they saw was weong

I got the same answer. Give it some time. Nothing they saw was weong
Hi there- I also experiencing the same issue on my brand new model Y with 30 miles, makes a groaning noise on the front brakes when slowing to a stop or parking spots only when its at a turn but doesn't happen when its going straight.. is this normal on new Tesla 3 / Ys? Did your's go away eventually ?