Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Braking in rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like someone filed a complaint on the NHSTA site for this about a week ago.

SOME CUSTOMERS ARE REPORTING POOR FRICTION BRAKING PERFORMANCE AFTER RAIN, SNOW OR CAR WASHES. ALLEGEDLY THERE IS AT LEAST ONE ACCIDENT FROM REDUCED FRICTION BRAKE EFFECTIVENESS IN WET CONDITIONS. MANY ALLEGE THAT SOMETIMES IN WET CONDITIONS THE FRICTION BRAKES TAKE SEVERAL SECONDS TO BECOME EFFECTIVE.

TESLA Problems - 2013 TESLA MODEL S Problems Complaints - ODI #10567108

I too have seen this on my MS. Initial braking after getting them wet it feel like its slides/slips but 1-2 sec later its normal and issue is gone.

Mine did not recover after 1-2 sec.... I did 5 "emergency stops" in a row, and while the car did stop, it felt like about 50% of the braking power there normally is. No ABS kicking in, no screeching tires. I could come to a stop normally at a stop sign, but if a kid ran in front of me or something, there would have been a problem...

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
are you guys braking hard now and then? Those brembo brakes will need some training to not build up rust and other issues. Also seen some people use stuff on the breaks due to squeel... if using the wrong type that have lubrication the brakes will become dangerous... pretty sure this is not the issue here but seen people put some strange things on the brakes due to squeel and you have to know what you are doing... brake hard after each washing and once a day to keep the brakes clean and avoid putting stuff on the brakes... ;-)

Sorry to mention the obvious but that would scare the living crap out of me.

Yeah, I didn't even notice it until I was just about home, since in normal driving I just use regen with the occasional light pressure on the breaks. Something made me brake a little harder which is when I realized I didn't have my usual braking power.

Again, I only noticed it once, it was immediately after a cheapo car wash - no tire dressing or wheel cleaners or wax or anything.

I just tested them again under dry conditions and they are back to normal. I do plan on hitting up that car wash again as a test. Might even take a video this time since I'm looking for it...

Got mine back from service. The Work Order says "Brembo pads seizing in calipers, Serviced Brake Pads and Calipers, Vehicle operating as designed". It's been cold and dry so I haven't had a chance to test wet yet, but they "feel" exactly the same as before in normal braking.

Got mine back from service. The Work Order says "Brembo pads seizing in calipers, Serviced Brake Pads and Calipers, Vehicle operating as designed". It's been cold and dry so I haven't had a chance to test wet yet, but they "feel" exactly the same as before in normal braking.

Typically, disassemble, clean and inspect. Basically everything you'd do if you were replacing the pads, but the old pads go back on.

So, what kind of rims/wheels do you have? Do you have the turbine or cyclone (19") or standard 19"? If turbine or cyclone I wonder if water is more easily getting pushed into the caliper/pad/mechanism causing it to fail.

Again, I have 19" standard rims/wheels, drive through a lot of rain (yeah Northwest!) and don't go through car washes (I wash myself) but have never experienced this.

I don't know that I really understand what they meant with "pads seizing in calipers." They had trouble removing them? Calipers seizing, that makes sense. Pads in calipers is a little more confusing.

I've taken mine twice to the car wash where I had the issue previously and the car behaved properly both times. Continuing to keep an eye on it, though.

I received mine back this evening from service as well, I have standard 19" OEM wheels, I was also having issues with a noisy master cylinder, so they replaced that was well, they cleaned the rear brakes, and replaced the front rotors and pads. see below...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concern: Customer states: Brake assist vacuum pump is noisy. Please replace.
Pay Type: Warranty
Cause: Master cylinder creating excessive noise.

Correction: Brakes Discs & Calipers General Diagnosis

Confirmed squeaking brake master cylinder push rod. Disconnected pedal linkage and
master cylinder to isolate noise to master cylinder. Replaced master cylinder, bled brake
system. Confirmed noise no longer present.

Correction: Master Cylinder and Reservoir Assembly, Replaced master cylinder.
Part Qty
(1) MASTER CYLINDER SERVICE KIT (1012042-00-A)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concern: Customer states: Brake performance feels degraded in the rain. Customer feels like there is "no stopping power".
Pay Type: Warranty
Cause: Brake pads glazed over.

Correction: Brakes Discs & Calipers General Diagnosis

Confirmed poor braking performance, even in dry weather. Inspected pads and rotors and found normal glazing from lack of use. Performance also likely related to master cylinder, replaced on line 4. Burnished brakes and cleaned remaining pad glazing on rear brakes, working as designed.

Correction: Brake Pads and Rotors - Front - Set

Brake pads removed and replaced.
Part Qty
(1) FR BRAKE PAD & NOISE SHIM KIT (6006429-00-B)
(2) BLT CSK TRX M8x1.25x20 10.9-ZnAl-W (1004377-00-B)
(2) SVC FR BRAKE ROTOR W/ AS-CAST OUTER HAT (1025099-00-A)

I was in the service center today for a different issue and mentioned the two times my braking was almost nil after a drive in rainy conditions. Service advisor opened a case and wrote it up. He email a suspension/brake engineer he knew at the factory asking for them to review the case. SC inspected my brakes and found all fine(not a surprise to me as it's nice and dry today). Said pads and rotors had very little wear.

Later today he called me and said the factory is very interested in this problem. They want me (and other owners) to email them the date and time of occurrences so they can check car log files for any error codes, etc.

I also emailed him this thread and that was passed on to the engineers too.

So if anybody can recall the time and date of their brake issue please email your service tech and have them forward to engineering. Might get some resolution here.

So, what kind of rims/wheels do you have? Do you have the turbine or cyclone (19") or standard 19"? If turbine or cyclone I wonder if water is more easily getting pushed into the caliper/pad/mechanism causing it to fail.

Again, I have 19" standard rims/wheels, drive through a lot of rain (yeah Northwest!) and don't go through car washes (I wash myself) but have never experienced this.

Standard Tesla 19" rims.

SOME CUSTOMERS ARE REPORTING POOR FRICTION BRAKING PERFORMANCE AFTER RAIN, SNOW OR CAR WASHES. ALLEGEDLY THERE IS AT LEAST ONE ACCIDENT FROM REDUCED FRICTION BRAKE EFFECTIVENESS IN WET CONDITIONS. MANY ALLEGE THAT SOMETIMES IN WET CONDITIONS THE FRICTION BRAKES TAKE SEVERAL SECONDS TO BECOME EFFECTIVE.

Okay this sounds like someone trolling the NHSTA. Really sounds like he's reporting stuff he read in an internet forum, rather than a personal experience. Lame.

I had a car wash the other day in -15C conditions and had absolutely no trouble stopping afterwards.

Okay this sounds like someone trolling the NHSTA. Really sounds like he's reporting stuff he read in an internet forum, rather than a personal experience. Lame.

I had a car wash the other day in -15C conditions and had absolutely no trouble stopping afterwards.

Yeah. You don't report 'I heard' to the NTHSA. You report the problems you had with your personal car.

Only skimming some of the above but I have some requests/suggestions to any forum members:
1. If you have "surprises" or "drama" with your brakes, contact your nearest service center ASAP. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Don't mess around with "scary" brakes. It's not smart on any car to be lackadaisical in addressing this.
2. Please don't be shy about posting confirmed info and feedback from Tesla. This is always good information.
3. If you feel the need to discuss problems in this area on TMC (or the TM forums for that matter) without any official response from Tesla, I don't have a strong opinion about that but PLEASE do #1 (and #2 if they have anything interesting to say) first.

Thanks.