Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new 2017 Model S damaged during warranty service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dopeasy

Feb 23, 2017
NYC
Hi,

I'm a new owner...purchased my brand new Model S90D in December with all the bells and whistles and have generally loved it except for what I just experienced. Wanted to share what happened in the hope that some folks may have ideas for how to handle it. In any event, I had an error message come on the other day relating to a chargeport door malfunction. I call up Tesla service and they agree to send someone to pick up the car and bring it in for the door to be replaced. They say they will have the car back to me in a day. So far I'm super impressed. I dont need them to pick up or drop off the car for me. I was close enough to do it myself and I told them that but they said it wasn't a big deal and didnt want to make me go out of my way.

Yesterday a flat bed tow truck comes to my building to pick up my car. We do a walk around to make sure no damage. We notice one small hairline scratch on the driver's side door and some paint swirling on the back passenger side door panel. The tow driver marks down on his inspection sheet only that there was a hairline scratch to the driver side door and I initial. Stupidly, I didnt ask for a copy and the driver didn't volunteer one. Other than this, its a brand new mint condition car (which I baby because obviously). I even gave the tow driver a $20 tip because I watched him carefully load the car onto the truck and do what appeared to be a good job of loading it and in the hope that he would be careful with the car.

Fast forward to today. I'm in an apartment building with valet garage attendants that I tip very well to take care of my car (its not a self park garage). They call me to let me know that the car just got back (driven / not towed and a later than promised but I dont really care) but there is a big dent in the rear bumper that they have never seen before. I also find some big deep scratches in other places and at least one nick to the interior leather. I call up Tesla and ask why they delivered a car that was damaged and they tell me that at least some of this damage was reported on the yellow inspection sheet that they got from the tow company when the car was delivered to them. They send me the yellow sheet and it doesn't have my initials at all and contains a description of damage that I didn't sign off on including a scratch to the front fender (never saw one before) and a scratch to the area where the dent appears. Tesla tells me that the dent is indicated on that yellow sheet so it "clearly" existed before the car was delivered to service. Obviously, what they sent me was completely different than what I signed off on and I tell them this but its like deaf ears and finger pointing at me and my garage attendants.

So, I'm thinking that something is definitely not right. I ask to speak to a supervisor and we go through the motions that maybe they will pay for some damage but not for the dent since it was preexisting. I ask if Telsa got any pictures that the tow company took since I observed the tow driver at all times before he left with the car and saw he took only one picture of the driver side door mini scratch which I signed off on. To my surprise, the supervisor said yes they have a picture from the tow company of the preexisting damage to the rear bumper. I ask whether the picture has date/time or geo location info but it doesn't. [I'm a former criminal defense lawyer]. Anyway, and here's the kicker, whoever took that picture that was trying to hide the fact that they caused the damage didn't do a good job since you can see in the picture in the car's paint's reflection the surrounding neighborhood where the car was when the picture was taken and its clearly not my neighborhood but the neighborhood (which I've been to before) right near the Tesla service center. I live in Manhattan and the service center is in Brooklyn near the shipping yards and lo and behold in the background of the picture you can clearly see shipping cranes and shipping containers, which is kind of funny except that now my car is freakin damaged. So its pretty obvious at this point that the tow driver took the picture after he left my building and probably right before he delivered the car to the service center which means he caused the damage and probably falsified the inspection sheet.

I pointed this out to Tesla and they finally stopped pointing the finger at me and offered to repair the bumper and some other scratches I noticed. But now I'm concerned that I dont know what caused this damage, there could be other damage that maybe Tesla won't repair, and I'm generally quite frustrated and the nice new car experience that I had before this is pretty much gone. I own the car and would appreciate any thoughts for how to handle this with Tesla or others.

Thanks

Sorry to hear what happened. Unfortunately, especially when multiple parties are handling the car, it's really easy to get into a "probably wasn't me" finger pointing standoff between all the parties. From a practical standpoint, IMO what you should do is if Tesla won't offer to repair the vehicle, file a claim to your insurance. But it sounds like Tesla will take care of it. Beyond that, any other damage will either be covered under your insurance or under warranty, so I'm not sure I would lose sleep wondering whether or not a bumper scrape is hiding additional damage to the vehicle.

Unfortunately it's just part of the complication that comes with owning a (nice) car. There's been a couple occasions in the past where I came back to my car to find a scrape on a bumper, but I can't honestly say whether it happened there or I just noticed it. One day, I realized that I simply was not able to enjoy having a nice car if I cared about babying it and keeping it showroom-quality, especially given the dense metro area where I live. In the end it was a decision that I enjoyed having nice cars, and I'll just have to deal with whatever happens to it.

Reactions: croman
I had a less than favorable service experience and laid it all out in the post service survey I received via email. They called me within 48hrs of receiving this survey to discuss the issues. I believe someone at the service center is obligated to investigate negative surveys.

Sounds like they're already addressing your immediate concerns by offering to fix the car. A negative survey outcome should lend you some open ears to really voice your other concerns.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
What I immediately wonder: was the car driven before it got to service?

That's the same thought that came to my mind. Does the damage look like it could have happened when the vehicle was being driven? Did you put it in valet mode before it went into service? Did you check the history on the energy usage?

[I'm a former criminal defense lawyer].

I don't know how far you want to take it but falsifying a damage report, and creating pictures at a later date to attempt to back it up, is criminal in my view. I doubt the police would do much but you never know and I would be reporting it.

Reactions: CSFTN
Tesla can certainly tell from the logs whether the vehicle was driven after collection, I would go in person to the SC and get the SC manager to check this and provide proof to you that the damage was (most likely) caused when taking the vehicle off the truck - i.e. that no mileage was involved between you giving up the fob and them receiving it. If they still seem uninterested I'd start talking about my experience as a lawyer, and the ramifications of causing damage to the vehicle and then falsifying the paperwork ...

Hope it's just poor delivery ... sorry this happened, always a shame once the shine goes from the new toy.

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful. Will try to get Tesla to run the logs and see if there was any driving. I provided the car to service with the fob that I never use so it shouldn't have any mileage on it at all.

I would ask the service center for a copy of the inspection sheet they received from the tow truck driver. Somehow the process that was supposed to prevent this has failed. Tesla should find out why it failed and then fix it.