TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Brand new 3...brakes squeal. Is this normal for new brakes?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ratsbew, Jul 17, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

The title says it. Do I need to turn Regen to low and do a few hard stops to seat the brakes?

2. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Brakes are usually bedded in at the factory.

Few quick stops might quiet them down/

Do not stop to 0 mph. Just brake agressively from 60 and let off about 5 mph.

• Like x 1
  3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

My Model 3 has never had any brake squeak / squeal. I am past 2500 miles, and never heard a peep.

4. azred

azred Active Member

A Service Center visit is your friend.

5. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

This is very common with a Tesla especially if you have the regen set to standard instead of low. It happens because you aren't using your brakes as often as you do in an ICE. Really want a good squeal out of your brakes? Wash your car then take it for a spin, the same will happen once you have been driving in the rain.

To periodically get rid of the noise, put your car in low regen mode and get out on the interstate. Get your speed up to like 60-70mph and brake really hard. Rinse and repeat about 3-5 times and you will be good to go for a while.

6. brobinson

brobinson Member

I had this issue when I got my car (22k vin), and it has popped up for many others near my VIN range. There is an issue where the retaining clips for rear brake pads are bent and rub against the back of the rotor. service will fix it for you.