Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Chademo "Charging adapter fault"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Chademo adapter 6 months ago and used it often with no issue even fully charging. Unfortunately, about 3 weeks ago, I got a "charging adapter fault" when I was almost fully charging to about 96%. I called Tesla and I got a replacement and I used it with no issue. However, today when I tried to fully charge again at around 96% I got the notice again. I unplugged and retried. It worked for about 10 minutes and got the notice again. Anybody had the same experience or is it just my luck that I got another faulty adapter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. It happened on the same site and only one Chademo charger. I have not tested the adapter at different site though. That is my next step and I will do that this afternoon. I called Tesla support and they couldn't figure it out. Support mentioned that it might have something to do with internal temperature when charging. She recommended that I make an appointment to get it checked out. I asked if this is part of warranty and she didn't know. ( I am past my 2 year warranty.)

I would think, they would update the firmware before sending it.
Well, no, they are taped up in boxes from when they were built. They are not going to open it up, take it out, and update the firmware and box it back up just because someone ordered one. But with them going in and out of stock pretty frequently, I would think it was built recently, and they are hopefully putting a pretty new firmware on them where they are being made.

Same problem.... I use my adapter 1 month, now, every time I charge, the same error pops up "charging adapter fault" in the car and the charging speed is limited to 17-18 kilowatts. Tesla support does not answer, sellers from the Tesla store do not answer ... what to do is not clear because I live where there is no Tesla service center... If some one know how to fix the problem, please let me know...cheem.ulei @ gmail.com

I also have had my adapter for almost a year without issue and the starting about a month ago same as you mentioned. At a greenlots station often times get adapter fault and charge limits to around 17kw/hr anyone solves it let us know

Similarly my Chademo adapter worked for a few months, then stopped working, nearly standing me in northern BC (no Superchargers North of Cache Creek) and ruining a trip. Now it sometimes works, sometimes fails. Usually the car does not record the session, and the charger says the car would not accept a charge. Sometimes it works for 10 minutes, then stops.

Tesla blames the chargers. I have no solution - at $600, can't justify just buying another one - a real disappointment, as is the lack of a ccs adapter for NA.

I also have had my adapter for almost a year without issue and the starting about a month ago same as you mentioned. At a greenlots station often times get adapter fault and charge limits to around 17kw/hr anyone solves it let us know
What did Plugshare says for those locations?

"kw/hr" makes no sense. Charging rate is measured in kW. Watts are joules per second to joules per second per hour makes no sense.

So I have a new CHAdeMO adaptor and a lot of times it will only charge at 37kw on the car screen but 48 kw on the CHAdeMO screen. It car will stop around 67-72% and will not charge. I have tried 3 separate chargers next to each other. Same issue. I was there with Tesla online for 2 hours trying to resolve the issue. Dealing with Tesla has been a night mare. I finally have a request to go to a service center for testing now.

So I have a new CHAdeMO adaptor and a lot of times it will only charge at 37kw on the car screen but 48 kw on the CHAdeMO screen. It car will stop around 67-72% and will not charge. I have tried 3 separate chargers next to each other. Same issue. I was there with Tesla online for 2 hours trying to resolve the issue. Dealing with Tesla has been a night mare. I finally have a request to go to a service center for testing now.
When you say 67 to 72%, is that on the charger's display or on the car's? Some DC FCs are set to stop at 80%. If the car is telling the charger 80% and you're at one of the stations...

Also, some providers have session length limits (e.g. EVgo Charging Plans | How Much Does it Cost to Charge an EV). That said, if you started another session, the session length clock would start over.

Do you have the address of this charger and/or a Plugshare link so we can take a look?

So , some responses, I did switch off the heating and anything else I could. Still not above 37kw. The location is
Western New York Welcome Center/Grand Island Travel Plaza
2182 Alvin Rd Grand Island NY 14072

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Google Maps

Had this happen multiple times charging only to 70% ish. Tesla confirmed the 37kw when they were online with the car. Model 3 2020 September

So , some responses, I did switch off the heating and anything else I could. Still not above 37kw. The location is
Western New York Welcome Center/Grand Island Travel Plaza
2182 Alvin Rd Grand Island NY 14072

PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
Looking at the label which says 100 amps, it wouldn't surprise me if you maxed out at 37 kW. 370 volts * 100 amps = 37,000 watts = 37 kW. I'm making assumptions about the voltage.

I've used some of those units (exactly in the picture) that Home Page - DRIVEtheARC (limited part of Nor Cal) used to call BTC Fatboy (and EVgo's app still does under Details). Some of them have been quietly updated to be 125 amp max (so they can go over 37 kW and do w/my Bolt over CCS) w/o updating their labels while one probably wasn't (PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You).

I can't speak to the supposed 48 kW on the screen on the charger vs. 37 kW in the car.

"kW" labeling on DC FCs can be misleading. Many "50 kW" chargers are really only 50 kW at 500 volts (500 volts * 100 amps) which is too high a pack voltage for probably every EV out there.

Update: I looked thru some photos and on some pics, they've clearly gone past 37,000 watts, so I think some were upgraded. Pic 28 shows a Bolt get 43 kW. Pic 32 shows 355 volts * 119 amps = 42,245 watts = 42.2 kW.

Last edited:
Update CHAdeMO firmware annually if you have any access to a Service center.

I got mine three years ago. It’s been updated three times. They’ve never told me, “Your firmware was still current, no update needed!”
  • Your car’s charging software evolves.
  • The CHAdeMO standard may get occasional enhancements.
  • New CHAdeMO equipment enters the market, charger firmware evolves.
  • New adapter bugs may be found and fixed.
It seems only a handful of Tesla Techs are familiar with the adapter and its update process. Don’t let them brush you off.

Guys/Gals, Thanks for reminding me that the firmware in my CHAdeMO adapter may need updating.
I don't recall reading that it may need updating when I read the manual available at the Tesla.com/chdemo page.
Thanks for reminder. Doh how could I not realize that this could be a problem?......when I have been working for years with software enabled electronics.

I tried out my '1 month old' CHAdeMo adapter at new Electrify America installation that had
3 CCS2 capable of 350KW and
1 CHAdeMO capable of 50KW
a. Tap and go card reader did not work had to use chip reader, could not find adapter, screen suggested unplug and start over.
b. Unplug CHAdeMO from car, unplug CHAdeMO from adapter and redo.
This time it said found my chip card, found the adapter and would start charging momentarily, oops cannot charge, unplug and try again
c. Same message on the 3rd attempt

As there was only 1 CHAdeMO equipped stal, I headed North and took my usual 1 hr detour to a high usage Supercharger where I could have to wait for a charge.

A day ago I decided to test the CHAdeMO adapter at a Electrify America installation that is nearby just off the ring interstate extension
and it worked after 2 attempts.
!
IMG_0386.JPG

Have to go again and check to see why the NFC touch and go has a problem as I am not keen on leaving my card in the chip reader.

May have to get a CCS2 adapter as the 2021 manual for the MS sez that the J1772, CCS2 and CHAdeMO adapters are available....when? for the CCS2 is not stated. The CCS2 ports on the Electrify America stall sez it is capable of 350KW.
Hmm..... Taycan Gran Turismo? Supercharger moat drying up?