Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new M3 RWD - Supercharging won't go above 52kw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my M3 for a week now and have completed a return journey from Cardiff to Manchester (approx. 350miles). I have only used Superchargers, and letting the car do it's pre-conditioning with the Supercharger in the navigation journey. So far, I have not seen any charging speed above 52kW even when no other cars where charging, and I chose the first stall in a pair. Each of the sites was rated to a max of 150kw. Just wondering is this normal?

Lots of threads about it. It may well be pretty normal, or may be not, likely to be the former as its very temperature and state of charge dependent. Peak only lasts a short period of time (its far from a linear charge curve, see link below), the warmer (ie preconditioned - aka set as navigation stop) and less charge you have in your battery the quicker its likely to be.

An old resource and probably not 100% representative, but this may give some more insight as to what to expect. tl;dr it depends...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkbird
All the advice above is spot on so I won't regurgitate but it may be worth setting up a service appointment. The team can then do remote diagnostics and see what is going on with the battery. They will have your charging history data there so will be able to see how the battery was behaving each time you charged.

Worth a shot.

all under 20% charge starting off

10% or under would be a better test (although should still get a decent rate at 20%). If you don't get 100+kW then there is a problem. First move to a different stall (one that is not paired) "just in case" the first stall is duff. If still low then I would book a service appointment.

note that it may well take a couple of minutes to ramp-up. When I plug in I sit and wait for a couple of minutes before walking away. Rare for a stall to be delivering low power (if not paired), but on the rare occasion it has happened its very frustrating to come back after 20 minutes and find SOC hasn't increased much

Reactions: Sparkbird