Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New M3.... Towed away today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet if you create a service ticket in the app you will receive a response. I would at least try it.

About that. I created a service appointment / request, the soonest available was 15 days out. On day 14 they finally looked at my car and determined they needed parts that would take a MONTH to get there. If they had done the extremely basic diagnostic check they said they ran on day 14, but on day 1 or 2, the car would already be fixed. Instead, I'm dealing with New England fall temperature swings in a car with no functioning HVAC.

Tesla service sucks. It's that simple. The idea that the app would fix all service request issues was idiotic on its face, but it was a cost saving measure by Elon so that's what they're going to do. So much for service centers everywhere by end of 2018.

And there in lies the problem. Call who, exactly? The service center? That number takes you to phone tree. The person who you ultimately talk to on the phone tree is not at the service center. All they can do is email the service center and try and get them to call me. They don't call me. I tried chatting on the website (chat is under solar roof section, but you get someone). They said they would have somebody call me. But they don't call me. Every interaction is supposed to be via the app. But there is no service item in the app. No way to communicate. Nobody at Tesla seems to care. Certainly there seems to be no established protocol for this type of event. Elon probably fired them. He can just tweet instead. Starting to loose my patience.

So annoying, I know!

What’s worked in the past is to call the service center but, following the tree, press the option to check on an existing service ticket (or something like that) and the person who picks up will be in that local center.

Of course, as mentioned, that worked in the past and it’s been a while so I apologize if that’s what you did which took you to a call center.

About that. I created a service appointment / request, the soonest available was 15 days out. On day 14 they finally looked at my car and determined they needed parts that would take a MONTH to get there. If they had done the extremely basic diagnostic check they said they ran on day 14, but on day 1 or 2, the car would already be fixed. Instead, I'm dealing with New England fall temperature swings in a car with no functioning HVAC.

Tesla service sucks. It's that simple. The idea that the app would fix all service request issues was idiotic on its face, but it was a cost saving measure by Elon so that's what they're going to do. So much for service centers everywhere by end of 2018.
Tesla service does suck! When I could not find out what was going on when they were supposed to get a third party quote to fix my scratches that were on the car upon delivery I created another service appointment in the app and I received an answer to what was going on and they requested I not create another appointment ;).

Sorry to hear about your car, I'd be pissed if I waited so long and spent so much only to have such a catastrophic failure followed up by lackadaisical service. They are exceptionally reliable cars but there have been a handful of drive unit failures reported on this forum. Hopefully you got all your bad luck out of the way now.

Tesla was founded in 2003 and like any 18 year old they will only communicate by text, Twitter, or Venmo. You should have good results by texting them in the app or liking their profile on Grindr.

They hate it when creeps cyberstalk them so they disable tracking whenever your car is in service. They also disable cabin overheat protection because they hate the fact that electric cars sometimes need to be charged and they don't want to try to figure out how to do it. Other than that, service tends to be very good.

Update: They have finally at least scanned the car in which created a service item on the app. The communication I got was a message that they are too busy to look at it. No idea when it will be diagnosed, parts ordered or fixed. No attempt to provide alternate transportation. Or even say sorry this happened to you on your brand new car. They don't give a crap. At all.

They hate it when creeps cyberstalk them so they disable tracking whenever your car is in service. They also disable cabin overheat protection because they hate the fact that electric cars sometimes need to be charged and they don't want to try to figure out how to do it.
I think my new car is stuck in that mode. Neither the dashcam (because the employees don't want to be recorded while handling the car) nor the cabin overheat protection work right now. Both are grayed out on my 1 week old car. I went back to the dealer to ask them to address that, and they said my car shows as fully delivered and should be 100% functional (which it is not). It's still wonderful to drive.

I had a very similar experience to yours shortly after delivery in 2018. I chalked it up to "new car roll out" issues. Sadly, after three years, it sounds like issues remain.

On a positive note, once our car was returned, it has been trouble free (as we quickly approach the end of the four year warranty). Lots of posters have noted that a Tesla is much like a modern electronic device, i.e. if problems arise it will be within the first few weeks of ownership. After that, the device usually remains trouble free throughout its useful life. So far, that has been my experience.

Note the I (and no doubt other early adopters) will consider quality and availability of service when it comes time to replace our Model 3 a few years from now.

Note the I (and no doubt other early adopters) will consider quality and availability of service when it comes time to replace our Model 3 a few years from now.
Yes, I get that. But, having come from several BMW 3 series cars, a Porshce Macan, a Lexus GS-350, and most recently two Mercedes E-class AMGs, the Tesla Model 3 Performance is the best car I have ever owned or driven. It's only been a week, but I am so impressed with this car. For those reasons, I might have to overlook some service glitches down the road.

Something else to consider is that *every* other car company has had *many* more years to build up a network of THIRD-PARTY service providers (yes that's right, they don't service their own cars). Tesla is certainly overloaded at many of their service centers.

This seems to have created a culture of "ignore the 50 customers at the end of the queue and focus on the handful at the front". It's not great, but it does get the work done. In my personal experience, the service center employees have always been professional and helpful... but definitely not interested in talking to you if your car isn't next in line.

To the OP... your car may not actually be under repair yet... perhaps Altanta is a super busy service center.

Reactions: Phlier and WhiteWi
Progress! They have finally started to communicate with me (after 3 days). The car has been looked at and needs a new rear drive unit. They offered a rental but it would be a standard chevy POS type rental and I have no interest in that (but that's my choice). We'll see how long it takes now...

Reactions: c00sebookpro
I think my new car is stuck in that mode. Neither the dashcam (because the employees don't want to be recorded while handling the car) nor the cabin overheat protection work right now. Both are grayed out on my 1 week old car. I went back to the dealer to ask them to address that, and they said my car shows as fully delivered and should be 100% functional (which it is not). It's still wonderful to drive.
I had same frustrating experience at Cherry Hill. Had to bring car in and the service manager was perplexed. I showed him a thread on here about it not being fully delivered and he turned to me and said “the internet isn’t always right” and walked away.

Rude service manager returns with another tesla employee who tells me the car wasn’t fully delivered and they put a ticket in to get fixed. He also mentioned frequency of this issue has been increasing. Update arrived in car during drive home, also with the premium connectivity email.

go back and push them to put a ticket in with corporate. You paid gobs of money for a new car, it should work with features advertised. Tesla has worse than average service.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Got new buyers to deliver to. You're already an owner, so they've already got you for what they need.

They're months behind on delivering to those new buyers. Wouldn't it make sense that they're also behind at their service centers? I don't think it's a good idea to make someone who's just bought a new car feel like they made a really bad decision. The truth is... they *will* fix this vehicle, and it'll be a great ride for a very long time. Patience may be necessary.

I had same frustrating experience at Cherry Hill. Had to bring car in and the service manager was perplexed. I showed him a thread on here about it not being fully delivered and he turned to me and said “the internet isn’t always right” and walked away.

Rude service manager returns with another tesla employee who tells me the car wasn’t fully delivered and they put a ticket in to get fixed. He also mentioned frequency of this issue has been increasing. Update arrived in car during drive home, also with the premium connectivity email.

go back and push them to put a ticket in with corporate. You paid gobs of money for a new car, it should work with features advertised. Tesla has worse than average service.

Hey, whaddya know, the internet got it right. Unlike when Tesla offered that RSM his job via online recruiting.

Update:

I'm feeling completely let down by Tesla. They have had my car since last Tuesday (eight days). The rear drive unit is "back ordered" with no ETA. My car has 748 miles on it. I have not made the first payment yet. I have not registered it yet. And Tesla has no idea when or if they will get the part to get the car fixed. They will not take it back and give me a new one... They have no Tesla loaners to offer.

Basically, I'm screwed. Obviously, buying this car has been a huge mistake. I guess at some point I have to lemon law it or sue Tesla? I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. And all Tesla will tell me is that they don't have the part (and don't seem to care since they have my money). I'm starting to feel like Tesla is a terrible company. I had no idea they would treat customers like this...

Very disappointed to hear this about Tesla. When I was first considering buying a pure EV vehicle Tesla was an obvious choice but I was concerned about the longevity of the company. Never did I think they would treat customers as they have. Then there's this:

Initially I thought Tesla was treating their customers very well, it appears that thought was misplaced.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Update:

I'm feeling completely let down by Tesla. They have had my car since last Tuesday (eight days). The rear drive unit is "back ordered" with no ETA. My car has 748 miles on it. I have not made the first payment yet. I have not registered it yet. And Tesla has no idea when or if they will get the part to get the car fixed. They will not take it back and give me a new one... They have no Tesla loaners to offer.

Basically, I'm screwed. Obviously, buying this car has been a huge mistake. I guess at some point I have to lemon law it or sue Tesla? I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. And all Tesla will tell me is that they don't have the part (and don't seem to care since they have my money). I'm starting to feel like Tesla is a terrible company. I had no idea they would treat customers like this...

Mine has been in service since the day I picked it up. In my case they are saying it was just a bad hv battery pack, which I hope truly is the case. The new hv battery arrived yesterday and today my car finally connected on the app again and is showing in service mode. Completion date is set for Friday by 3:30pm.

I did escalate a complaint through my original SA who then forwarded it two to other leaders, but they never responded.

My hope is that when I get it back there are no issues/concerns, it works great, and I can pretend my initial experience never happened.

Mine has been in service since the day I picked it up. In my case they are saying it was just a bad hv battery pack, which I hope truly is the case. The new hv battery arrived yesterday and today my car finally connected on the app again and is showing in service mode. Completion date is set for Friday by 3:30pm.

I did escalate a complaint through my original SA who then forwarded it two to other leaders, but they never responded.

My hope is that when I get it back there are no issues/concerns, it works great, and I can pretend my initial experience never happened.
How long is that? Days? Weeks? Months? I'm trying to figure out what to expect. There is no communication. They ignore my questions on the app. And the app is all there is. Really not a good company IMO. If I ever get it back, I'll probably sell it and get something else. I don't want to deal with a company that treats customers like this...

Progress! They have finally started to communicate with me (after 3 days). The car has been looked at and needs a new rear drive unit. They offered a rental but it would be a standard chevy POS type rental and I have no interest in that (but that's my choice). We'll see how long it takes now...
Mine is currently in for a few fit and finish issues. The local SC contracts with Enterprise and I was about to be issued a Toyota Highlander as a rental. Just then a customer rolls up to pick up his car in a 2022 BMW 740i. I ask if that's available, and she switches my rental to the BMW. Softens the blow of being without my car, but holy hell is that a big wallowing barge compared to my M3P!

Reactions: JohnnyMa
Wouldn't it make sense that they're also behind at their service centers? I don't think it's a good idea to make someone who's just bought a new car feel like they made a really bad decision. The truth is... they *will* fix this vehicle, and it'll be a great ride for a very long time. Patience may be necessary.

Their service centers are backed up because they don't have parts for cars, and they don't have enough service locations for the number of vehicles they've sold. Something Elon said he would personally fix back in 2018.

No, it's not a good idea to make a new owner feel abandoned. But how many stories do we need to read about Tesla delivering damaged vehicles, and then keeping someone's car for a month or more before Tesla actually gets their head out and does something about it? Here's the problem I see. They're building more factories, but no new service locations? They planned on opening 52 in 2021, and so far none of the new locations listed near me have opened.

They don't have a choice about fixing the car, it's under warranty. But OP still needs to make payments on their loan, register the vehicle, pay taxes, insurance, etc. All while not having a car to drive. And now that it's past the initial 7 day period, there's no chance OP can just return it without issue. Every single owner before 2016 saw this coming, and Tesla didn't do anything to stave it off. My sympathy is with @ttflyer on this, not Tesla.