Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New M3.... Towed away today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their service centers are backed up because they don't have parts for cars, and they don't have enough service locations for the number of vehicles they've sold. Something Elon said he would personally fix back in 2018.

No, it's not a good idea to make a new owner feel abandoned. But how many stories do we need to read about Tesla delivering damaged vehicles, and then keeping someone's car for a month or more before Tesla actually gets their head out and does something about it? Here's the problem I see. They're building more factories, but no new service locations? They planned on opening 52 in 2021, and so far none of the new locations listed near me have opened.

They don't have a choice about fixing the car, it's under warranty. But OP still needs to make payments on their loan, register the vehicle, pay taxes, insurance, etc. All while not having a car to drive. And now that it's past the initial 7 day period, there's no chance OP can just return it without issue. Every single owner before 2016 saw this coming, and Tesla didn't do anything to stave it off. My sympathy is with @ttflyer on this, not Tesla.
I would like to see the reviewers (such as Car and Driver) mention this in their reviews. When I was researching Tesla they focused on the driving characteristics and touched on the issues they had while driving (for long term reviews). I expect Tesla to treat C&D better than us plebs but C&D has to know of the service problems others are experiencing and should be making note of it.

How long is that? Days? Weeks? Months? I'm trying to figure out what to expect. There is no communication. They ignore my questions on the app. And the app is all there is. Really not a good company IMO. If I ever get it back, I'll probably sell it and get something else. I don't want to deal with a company that treats customers like this...
My brand new M3P died while driving home from pickup. I linked my thread earlier. It had been in my possession for less than 2 hours/1 hundred miles.

So it went in on 9/22. I am still scheduled to get it back tomorrow. I am hoping everything is great, but am a bit pessimistic.

I did forward my story/concerns to my previous advisor, who then forwarded it to some of her leaders, but never got a reply.

Since the assumption here seems to be that Tesla Service (and quality) is uniquely and always bad, let me just say that this has not been my experience or that of the other people I know who have Teslas. My Model 3 - delivered May 2020 - had no initial flaws and has had nothing go wrong with the car itself since then. I have had two service experiences due to problems caused by other things - punctured tire after I ran over debris on the highway and cracked windscreen due to a rock kicked up by a truck. I used Tesla Service both times, and the fixes were done quickly (next morning for one, within two days for the other) and I was kept informed promptly and courteously of progress via the App. I was given a Tesla Model S loaner for one repair and for the other one I did not need a loaner. I know four other people with Teslas and they have had similar experiences.

I am not saying that others have not had bad experiences. I am just reporting what I personally am aware of.

Reactions: Taxvictim
Since the assumption here seems to be that Tesla Service (and quality) is uniquely and always bad, let me just say that this has not been my experience or that of the other people I know who have Teslas. My Model 3 - delivered May 2020 - had no initial flaws and has had nothing go wrong with the car itself since then. I have had two service experiences due to problems caused by other things - punctured tire after I ran over debris on the highway and cracked windscreen due to a rock kicked up by a truck. I used Tesla Service both times, and the fixes were done quickly (next morning for one, within two days for the other) and I was kept informed promptly and courteously of progress via the App. I was given a Tesla Model S loaner for one repair and for the other one I did not need a loaner. I know four other people with Teslas and they have had similar experiences.

I am not saying that others have not had bad experiences. I am just reporting what I personally am aware of.
My experience with my advisor at the service center has been great. It's everything outside it that has been subpar.

Literally nobody at Tesla (excluding my service guy) gives two shits about a $60k car breaking down the very first day you had it. It's not the fact that it won't be fixed (it will), it's the general indifference regarding the situation.

The only other time I experienced this was with an Alfa Romeo Giulia I owned, and Tesla really shouldn't want to be grouped with those folks.

That's not the impression I have been left with. That said I find it completely unacceptable that a car that has less than 800 miles on it had a failure which the manufacturer cannot provide a means to repair or replace.

Complex manufactured products break sometimes right out of the box. We're also in the middle of a pandemic with supply shortages across all industries. Every car company is dealing with part shortages. My wife's 2019 Jeep Compass needs her infotainment center replaced and we've been waiting 8 weeks for that to come in. Saying it's unacceptable you have to wait for parts just like everyone else in every other industry during a worldwide supply shortage is just not a good look. I understand your situation is incredibly frustrating. Just trying to provide some perspective.

Complex manufactured products break sometimes right out of the box. We're also in the middle of a pandemic with supply shortages across all industries. Every car company is dealing with part shortages. My wife's 2019 Jeep Compass needs her infotainment center replaced and we've been waiting 8 weeks for that to come in. Saying it's unacceptable you have to wait for parts just like everyone else in every other industry during a worldwide supply shortage is just not a good look. I understand your situation is incredibly frustrating. Just trying to provide some perspective.
If they can source parts to build a new vehicles then they should pull inventory for a new build and use it to fix a customers two month old car. Or give him a loaner Tesla. Or exchange it with a new one.

We're not talking about a piece of door trim that doesn't disrupt the operation of the vehicle. His (this isn't my situation) car is completely unusable and it doesn't even have 800 miles on the clock (my comment isn't wrt the car breaking down, that happens. It's with how they're handling it).

I don't want to hear about shortages because of COIVD. COVID has been around for over 18 months, time for it to stop being an excuse.

If they can source parts to build a new vehicles then they should pull inventory for a new build and use it to fix a customers two month old car. Or give him a loaner Tesla. Or exchange it with a new one.

We're not talking about a piece of door trim that doesn't disrupt the operation of the vehicle. His (this isn't my situation) car is completely unusable and it doesn't even have 800 miles on the clock (my comment isn't wrt the car breaking down, that happens. It's with how they're handling it).

I don't want to hear about shortages because of COIVD. COVID has been around for over 18 months, time for it to stop being an excuse.
You can put your fingers in your ears and say “la la la la la” all you want. We’ll have supply shortages for at least another year. Almost every for profit company will prioritize supply going to new sales over supplying repairs. It’s sad and I wish it wasn’t the case but that’s how almost all companies work. Especially if they’re a publicly traded company beholden to investors that value short sighted gains. We’re dealing with this exact situation with Jeep waiting on a new infotainment center for 8 weeks.

Last edited:
You can put your fingers in your ears and say “la la la la la” all you want. We’ll have supply shortages for at least another year. Almost every for profit company will prioritize supply going to new sales over supplying repairs. It’s sad and I wish it wasn’t the case but that’s how almost all companies work. Especially if they’re a publicly traded company beholden to investors that value short sighted gains. We’re dealing with this exact situation with Jeep waiting on a new infotainment center for 8 weeks.
That's exactly why I said Tesla's behavior is unacceptable. They have the means to fix it, they just won't prioritize it because they already have his money. Maybe they'll try and get more from him by suing him for posting about his issue here.

Reactions: Macb00kemdanno
Just wanted to give another update:

They are now telling me that they have the new drive unit and are installing this afternoon and tomorrow! They said they would deliver the car back to me (200 miles away) when it is complete. Hopefully that will be this weekend or early next week.

So if I get the car back unharmed after < 2 weeks, I am perfectly happy with that and can go back to being a Tesla fanboy. Cars break and new cars break more then old cars. It's no fun but stuff happens. My complaint was the lack of communication.... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... We have it, it's broke, parts are backordered... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... We have the part, it will be fixed tomorrow. If they told me that 10 days ago, I would have had zero issues. If they even told me they would "probably" have the part in 10 days, I would have understood the uncertainty. What I got was: We don't have the part. We have no idea if or when we will ever have the part. Next customer please.... And of course all through text on the app. I have yet to speak to a single person about any of this...

Don't be discouraged! Tesla has shipped hundreds of thousands of these vehicles, there are bound to be a few that experience issues (and I've read a few posts like yours in the past). That said, please don't feel like this will make your car a "lemon". They'll likely replace a motor or inverter or something, it'll be a quick repair, and you'll never have a problem again.

I had a 7 hour drive home from the delivery center when I picked my M3 up... middle of winter. The PT sensors failed midway home and we no longer had heat. The rest of the drive was *freezing*... thank God for heated seats or we would've been in trouble. The service center replaced the sensors and all has been well ever since. All will work out in the end.
Respect!!!

Yup, decent if not good company but piss poor communication.

My hope is the right to repair and third party options will become available in short order and, with that, the services centers will get some relief for teething issues with new deliveries. That may help a little with that side of their communication issues but, if they don’t focus more of their Silicon Valley IT skills on improving 2-way and proactive communication (why don’t they have a team creating an AI to cull bug reports and download them every time cars connect?), Tesla will not survive to be an auto (or solar) player once the pendulum swings to mass EV adoption.

Glad the actual work is getting done and you’ll be back on the road soon!

My complaint was the lack of communication.... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... We have it, it's broke, parts are backordered... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... Nothing... We have the part, it will be fixed tomorrow.

This is the crux of the single most valid and most egregious complaint about Tesla the company. In actuality, they make damn good cars, do pretty good service, and 99 times out of 100 will eventually make things right. But they won't talk to you. You're not a customer, you're a service ticket.

This is the crux of the single most valid and most egregious complaint about Tesla the company. In actuality, they make damn good cars, do pretty good service, and 99 times out of 100 will eventually make things right. But they won't talk to you. You're not a customer, you're a service ticket.
I’ve driven different models of Lexus for the past 15 years. Prior to my purchase of the model 3 for myself and the y for my wife, I spent time researching tesla. We have always been satisfied with Lexus service, and from reading the various posts on this forum as well as other sources, I understood the business plan Tesla set forth with regard to selling and servicing We are still awaiting the delivery of the y and I’ve only had the 3 lr for a few days. But our experience thus far has been great. My sa responded promptly to all e mails and delivery day was a breeze. . We arrived at 2pm, looked the car over, bought the acceleration boost, and was on the road at 2:20. I’m 67, and everyday I experience what is slowly replacing what was once considered the norm in customer satisfaction..response was once a phone call, a detailed explanation, and an attempt to satisfy. ... Tesla is not the only company to make one feel like a service ticket. fact of the matter as I see it, the same can be said for most companies these days..times they are a changing. And as they change I figure I can either keep my expectations the same and be pissed off, or change them to meet the changes we are going thru in most facets of our life... embrace the positive. I hope I don’t have any issues with my car but if I do I will be proactive and do what I can to get the result I want. kinda like life Right? .. give it your best and deal with the bullshit knowing you have done your very best. .. that’s really all any of us can do........2cents from a old guy.

I was amazed at the speed at which the Tampa Tesla service center replaced a drive unit in a car that happened to be there when I was there a couple years ago. There’s a glass partition between the waiting area and the shop. One minute it seemed, the motor was dropped out, and I swear they had the new one in about 30 minutes later! Never seen that in a ICE car.

I’ve driven different models of Lexus for the past 15 years. Prior to my purchase of the model 3 for myself and the y for my wife, I spent time researching tesla. We have always been satisfied with Lexus service, and from reading the various posts on this forum as well as other sources, I understood the business plan Tesla set forth with regard to selling and servicing We are still awaiting the delivery of the y and I’ve only had the 3 lr for a few days. But our experience thus far has been great. My sa responded promptly to all e mails and delivery day was a breeze. . We arrived at 2pm, looked the car over, bought the acceleration boost, and was on the road at 2:20. I’m 67, and everyday I experience what is slowly replacing what was once considered the norm in customer satisfaction..response was once a phone call, a detailed explanation, and an attempt to satisfy. ... Tesla is not the only company to make one feel like a service ticket. fact of the matter as I see it, the same can be said for most companies these days..times they are a changing. And as they change I figure I can either keep my expectations the same and be pissed off, or change them to meet the changes we are going thru in most facets of our life... embrace the positive. I hope I don’t have any issues with my car but if I do I will be proactive and do what I can to get the result I want. kinda like life Right? .. give it your best and deal with the bullshit knowing you have done your very best. .. that’s really all any of us can do........2cents from a old guy.
IOW lower your expectations. Prior to purchasing my Tesla I had an X5 and a Volt. Both BMW and Chevy treated me well when I had to service the vehicles. BMW provided a loaner vehicle no matter how long (or short) the service was to take. Chevy provided a loaner vehicle if the service was to exceed a work day. Both companies provided me with an explanation of the issue (if I inquired) and what was involved with replacing them. Every service advisor I spoke with was friendly and more than willing to provide guidance and assistance with my issue.

Does this mean all dealers provide this level of service? No, I've read about bad experiences some have had with dealer service. However other manufacturer dealerships tend to be independently owned whereas the Tesla service centers are all owned and operated by Tesla which means Tesla has complete control of how they handle the experience. Especially with the way they offer service.

Do I dislike Tesla? Certainly not, the car is fantastic and puts a smile on my face each time I drive it. I'll be going in for a service appointment two weeks from today (to check on wind noise at freeway speeds) so I'll get to experience it first hand. However I feel leaving a new owner without any idea when he can expect to get his brand new car fixed is unacceptable. A little communication goes a long way and, from what I can tell, Tesla is lacking in that area.

Reactions: David3 and hatch