Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new M3RWD picked up yesterday. Charging opinion from the forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

theocguy

M3RWD - MSM/BLK/OD:03/22/Picked up 10/31/2022
Feb 11, 2022
Southern CA
Hi there,

Took the delivery on M3RWD with 18” wheels yesterday. It came with 70% SoC and 6 miles in it. I drove home and played around all the settings and now it is sitting at 64%.
I have the wall connector installed and will charge it at home most of the time.

I understand the LFP battery that M3RWD has can be charged to 100% and it is advised by Tesla as well.

Of course, everyone holds his/her own opinions and I respect all.

My question to the M3RWD owners who have LFP that what is your real life charging habit and how do you see your way of charge might affect to the battery life on both negative and positive way?

I read that LFP should be charged at 100% to keep the BMS works accurately. Is it also accurate in the real life experience from the owners as well?

Any feedback and suggestions on minimize the battery degradation would be appreciated.

Also, for the very first time, should I charge it up to 100% to verify the range?

Picked up our M3 SR LFP end of August. 2,300 miles put on car to date. One +700 mile road trip (easy). We use the mobile connector as well with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. When we charge the car (no less than once a week) we charge it to 100%. Then run it down as we use it, so usage varies a good deal. Generally I let the car go to around 60% before I bring it up to 100%. No partial charges at home (on the road is a different story).

Hope this helps. Don't over think your new Tesla. It's designed to be used!

Rich

Wife filling her up in Wickenberg AZ (Kingman trip)
ZuyV8tr.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and theocguy
Hi there,

Took the delivery on M3RWD with 18” wheels yesterday. It came with 70% SoC and 6 miles in it. I drove home and played around all the settings and now it is sitting at 64%.
I have the wall connector installed and will charge it at home most of the time.

I understand the LFP battery that M3RWD has can be charged to 100% and it is advised by Tesla as well.

Of course, everyone holds his/her own opinions and I respect all.

My question to the M3RWD owners who have LFP that what is your real life charging habit and how do you see your way of charge might affect to the battery life on both negative and positive way?

I read that LFP should be charged at 100% to keep the BMS works accurately. Is it also accurate in the real life experience from the owners as well?

Any feedback and suggestions on minimize the battery degradation would be appreciated.

Also, for the very first time, should I charge it up to 100% to verify the range?

The charging opinion of the forum on this battery is mostly in a 42 page (and counting) discussion thread on the topic, which is here:

I would suggest reading through that for opinion, and / or joining in discussion in that thread on the topic.

Reactions: theocguy
The charging opinion of the forum on this battery is mostly in a 42 page (and counting) discussion thread on the topic, which is here:

I would suggest reading through that for opinion, and / or joining in discussion in that thread on the topic.
Will do

Picked up our M3 SR LFP end of August. 2,300 miles put on car to date. One +700 mile road trip (easy). We use the mobile connector as well with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. When we charge the car (no less than once a week) we charge it to 100%. Then run it down as we use it, so usage varies a good deal. Generally I let the car go to around 60% before I bring it up to 100%. No partial charges at home (on the road is a different story).

Hope this helps. Don't over think your new Tesla. It's designed to be used!

Rich

Wife filling her up in Wickenberg AZ (Kingman trip)
ZuyV8tr.jpg
Thanks for your feedback