Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new model 3 leaking coolant right after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a brand new model 3 LR but after parking it in the garage for one night, there was a huge pool of blue coolant on the ground. Service is saying the rear drive unit coolant hose requires replacement, and how it is likely due to road debris. While I cannot say road debris isn't the cause, it's also highly concerning that a brand new and barely driven vehicle is majorly leaking coolant. Is there anything else you guys can suggest I ask them to check/replace while it's in the shop? Thanks!

...road debris...
It's time to confess whether you drove over road debris like a cement block?

As long as Tesla fix it for free, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: derotam
It's time to confess whether you drove over road debris like a cement block?

As long as Tesla fix it for free, I wouldn't worry about it.

I do wish I could confess to that, because at least I would know what caused the damage :( The reality is that I really wasn't aware of any. It was honestly only 1 night of driving on major streets, I've got to be really lucky for that to happen.

I would check the front and rear aero shields for any damage. I my opinion they provide almost no protection from any road debris. If the shields are not damaged, you most certainly did not cause the coolant line damage.

This morning I asked if there are any external damage, since I would assume road debris would cause that. They have now changed their response to "investigating".

I do wish I could confess to that, because at least I would know what caused the damage :( The reality is that I really wasn't aware of any. It was honestly only 1 night of driving on major streets, I've got to be really lucky for that to happen.

You do know that I was only kidding.

Since it is brand new, I would think it's a quality issue and not from any road debris!

It's a hassle, but Tesla will fix it.

My M3 has about 4500 miles on it and I got notification my coolant is low. Took it to a SC and I was told the powertrain supply and return hoses are leaking coolant. How does that happen on a vehicle less than 6 months old?

As a boat owner I can categorically confirm that if a hose can leak it will leak. But of all things that can go wrong it’s one of the easiest things to fix.
How you top up a Tesla I have no idea 🤷🏼‍♂️🤔

My M3 has about 4500 miles on it and I got notification my coolant is low. Took it to a SC and I was told the powertrain supply and return hoses are leaking coolant. How does that happen on a vehicle less than 6 months old?
Insufficient hose clamp torque or defective hose clamp, 6 months of heat cycling (both through use and weather) and 4500 miles worth of vibration.

It happens. Good that you caught it before it turned into a catastrophe (but the software likely wouldn't have allowed the car to run without coolant.)

Should be no charge to you as it's a warranty job.

Bad assembly, bad components or even vermin. That it took 4500 miles for it to happen suggests it's not necessarily something really obvious that could be picked up before delivery.