Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Model 3 squeaking -HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says, my 2022 Model 3 Performance is squeaking. It’s extremely embarrassing, and frustrating for a car that cost me nearly 70k to be making noise like this. It happens on bumpy roads, it will squeak over bumpy, uneven road surface at all speeds. At low speeds or pulling into an incline, like my driveway, the suspension will creak. What‘s killing me though is that Tesla mobile service came to my house and REPLACED THE UPPER CONTROL ARMS!!!

If the control arms were just replaced, what could it be? the sound is coming from the same location as the upper control arm ball joint. I had my wife push the car side to side and I can hear what sounds like the upper ball joint creaking. Is it possible Tesla replaced mine with defective parts?

I love everything about this car, but I’m so defeated. It’s the most expensive car I’ve purchased for myself. And I waited so long for it. In less than 2 months of owning it, Tesla has been out to change a fog light that didnt work, replace control arms, and it’s gotta go in for service yet again.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
Maybe it is not the upper control arms. I had the squeek problem, was not the upper control arms. Turned out it was some hinges that were rubbing in the back seat. The SC did the work, they found it and wrapped it with tape or insulation and the sound is gone.

OP
I see you live in Westchester, so your appt with the SC is in White Plains.
The first time a traveling tech could not hear it, so when I went to make service appt the second time, it was called into the White Plains service center on 119. I think they do a good job, it took some detective work to figure it out. They called me and told me it was not the upper control arm and asked more questions and did figure it out. It is a nuisance to bring in a new car, but I think they will figure it out.

Maybe it is not the upper control arms. I had the squeek problem, was not the upper control arms. Turned out it was some hinges that were rubbing in the back seat. The SC did the work, they found it and wrapped it with tape or insulation and the sound is gone.
It’s definitely not coming from the back seat as I can hear creaking from the front upper control arm area when my wife moves the car. We’ll see when I bring the car in.

OP
I see you live in Westchester, so your appt with the SC is in White Plains.
The first time a traveling tech could not hear it, so when I went to make service appt the second time, it was called into the White Plains service center on 119. I think they do a good job, it took some detective work to figure it out. They called me and told me it was not the upper control arm and asked more questions and did figure it out. It is a nuisance to bring in a new car, but I think they will figure it out.
That’s where my appointment is. The issue is the on site tech already replaced the upper control arms. How could it be the upper control arms again, so soon, within 5 miles of being replaced, already making noises. I’m hoping they find the problem. If they don’t and I continue dealing with the squeak, I’m gonna just sell the car. I can live with a rattle inside here and there, or some minor defects that the car may have, but loud squeaking when driving by is horrible and a big no for me. its Just annoying and embarrassing to have a brand new car that I talk about all the time, having so many issues when literally having only 900 miles on it. What can I expect when it has 9000?

I watched the tech install two brand new upper control arms in my driveway.
That's impressive all by itself. I guess the remote service capacity is more extensive than I would've imagined.
As to squeaks/creaks, the problem is almost always that unless you can reproduce the noise while the service tech is standing there you'll both just be guessing at the cause. It's probably caused by something completely innocuous, although still thoroughly irritating, I'm sure. I have two constant squeaks coming from somewhere in the back of the car that I can't pinpoint and it's driving me crazy.

As the title says, my 2022 Model 3 Performance is squeaking. It’s extremely embarrassing, and frustrating for a car that cost me nearly 70k to be making noise like this. It happens on bumpy roads, it will squeak over bumpy, uneven road surface at all speeds. At low speeds or pulling into an incline, like my driveway, the suspension will creak. What‘s killing me though is that Tesla mobile service came to my house and REPLACED THE UPPER CONTROL ARMS!!!

If the control arms were just replaced, what could it be? the sound is coming from the same location as the upper control arm ball joint. I had my wife push the car side to side and I can hear what sounds like the upper ball joint creaking. Is it possible Tesla replaced mine with defective parts?

I love everything about this car, but I’m so defeated. It’s the most expensive car I’ve purchased for myself. And I waited so long for it. In less than 2 months of owning it, Tesla has been out to change a fog light that didnt work, replace control arms, and it’s gotta go in for service yet again.

When did you start experiencing this issue? You heard any weird things when you picked up the car? Hopefully it can get resolved quickly so you can enjoy it.

That's impressive all by itself. I guess the remote service capacity is more extensive than I would've imagined.
As to squeaks/creaks, the problem is almost always that unless you can reproduce the noise while the service tech is standing there you'll both just be guessing at the cause. It's probably caused by something completely innocuous, although still thoroughly irritating, I'm sure. I have two constant squeaks coming from somewhere in the back of the car that I can't pinpoint and it's driving me crazy.
I have a slight noice that varies coming from the area between the driver and rear seat. Its not unbearable by any means but it is there. Music does the trick. When its a brand new car it does impact one mentally to a good degree.

That’s where my appointment is. The issue is the on site tech already replaced the upper control arms. How could it be the upper control arms again, so soon, within 5 miles of being replaced, already making noises. I’m hoping they find the problem. If they don’t and I continue dealing with the squeak, I’m gonna just sell the car. I can live with a rattle inside here and there, or some minor defects that the car may have, but loud squeaking when driving by is horrible and a big no for me. its Just annoying and embarrassing to have a brand new car that I talk about all the time, having so many issues when literally having only 900 miles on it. What can I expect when it has 9000?
Did you have your appt with the SC? What were the results?

Don't get too excited, they told me any suspension work requires a full shop visit and can't be done with mobile service - not sure how they got that done, but it aint happening in LA.

HELP! LOL

I've also got the squeaky front suspension and when turning. Reported in March, Tesla Nottingham had a look (first available appt 9th May!!). They said the part is on order, to be fitted on 20th June !! Really disappointing service. I'd drive anywhere to collect the part if another dealership had it, but apparently not. Any solutions ? (M3P) Nottingham. UK

I've also got the squeaky front suspension and when turning. Reported in March, Tesla Nottingham had a look (first available appt 9th May!!). They said the part is on order, to be fitted on 20th June !! Really disappointing service. I'd drive anywhere to collect the part if another dealership had it, but apparently not. Any solutions ? (M3P) Nottingham. UK
Since your appt is a few weeks away, perhaps you could ask them to send a mobile tech visit who can lubricate the joints as a band aid in the mean time.