Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Model S Broken AC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Picked up a brand new 100D on Saturday - AC started blowing only hot air this morning. SC rep told me he has identified the problem and ordered a replacement part, but can't tell me when it'll be fixed because he's out of the part and the regional SC is also out of the part. I have to drop off my brand new car tomorrow.

I realize things happen, but am I wrong to be really upset that I've had the car all of 3 days and now I have to give it up for an undetermined amount of time? Is there anything I should think to ask or know when I drop it off tomorrow? Thanks.

Hey everyone,

Picked up a brand new 100D on Saturday - AC started blowing only hot air this morning. SC rep told me he has identified the problem and ordered a replacement part, but can't tell me when it'll be fixed because he's out of the part and the regional SC is also out of the part. I have to drop off my brand new car tomorrow.

I realize things happen, but am I wrong to be really upset that I've had the car all of 3 days and now I have to give it up for an undetermined amount of time? Is there anything I should think to ask or know when I drop it off tomorrow? Thanks.

Probably just another Fremont employee getting high off the Freon. ;)

You absolutely have a right to be upset, it is totally unacceptable quality control in my opinion. This is part of the dark side of Tesla ownership, where basic quality control has not been implemented on a super expensive car.

I'd agree though, as much as it sucks, best to "roll with the punches" and not lose sleep over this. However, keep this in mind when anyone asks you if they should consider buying a Tesla. Things have to change at Tesla from leadership down.

Reactions: croman
It's not clear to me that better QA would have solved this particular issue. Sounds like the AC potentially stopped working on day three? Regardless, definitely sucks for this to happen OP, but whenever I have a failure nearly out of the box with a product/system, I'm always reminded of bathtub curves from my earlier days. Bathtub curve - Wikipedia

Hopefully Tesla service will treat you as well as they have treated me and get you back up and running quickly.

Why can't you keep the car and have them call you when the part comes in?
Probably because the AC isn't blowing..? I can only imagine how hot it gets in the car even when the operator is moving with all the windows down. I'd also be livid if I spent $100K on a vehicle only to have something like that happen. I'm also surprised that Tesla didn't offer you a similar vehicle as a loaner until your part comes in and the vehicle is fixed.

Reactions: oktane
Happened to me last year, although it broke on my first road trip... I drove directly to a nearby SC who did not have the part, however they ordered it to be shipped to my home SC and gave me a loaner car to drive. At first they even offered to have my car trailered home when the repair was done but I preferred to drive my new car home with the windows down :rolleyes:. When I got back from my trip the ac unit was replaced took about 2 days... Supposedly mine was an internal short.

Probably because the AC isn't blowing..? I can only imagine how hot it gets in the car even when the operator is moving with all the windows down. I'd also be livid if I spent $100K on a vehicle only to have something like that happen. I'm also surprised that Tesla didn't offer you a similar vehicle as a loaner until your part comes in and the vehicle is fixed.
I'd rather it be sitting in my garage than God-knows-wherever Tesla will park it. Plus, I'm in Houston, it's July, and I still don't use AC all the time for short trips.
But yeah, I'd be livid, too, and they really should have given out a loaner, no question about it.

Is that why my AC doesn't get as cool as most cars? I was tempted to bring it into a SC but figured an electric compressor may not be as powerful as on an ICE car.

On my ICE cars, it doesn't matter if it's 120F outside the AC is ice cold.

On Tesla, the AC is cold but takes time to cool the cabin, and any fan setting over 9 is not that cold.

Is that why my AC doesn't get as cool as most cars? I was tempted to bring it into a SC but figured an electric compressor may not be as powerful as on an ICE car.

On my ICE cars, it doesn't matter if it's 120F outside the AC is ice cold.

On Tesla, the AC is cold but takes time to cool the cabin, and any fan setting over 9 is not that cold.
I created a thread about this and was ultimately informed by other owners that you just need to set the temperature inside the cabin to a setting that's comfortable for you. Previously I had to have the AC set at 76F in my ICE vehicle, but I have to have it at 72F minimum in my MS. Even then, I find myself still getting quite warm at random times on my drives.

• Informative
@oktane - make sure you aren't in range mode. Otherwise my AC is super cool if I want it to be. I keep it mainly at 71F.

OP has every right to be upset. This isn't uncommon. The reason that Tesla is out of this part (likely the "chiller") is because many (I've read at least 10 new owners) have had this exact problem. Someone at the factory isn't installing the chiller properly and its resulting in failed AC for new owners.

AC Blowing Hot Air | Tesla

Air Conditioner Blows Hot Air | Tesla

Check your AC

ETC...

• Helpful
On this topic, I had something interesting happen on two trips this last weekend(1 2 hour trip and another 5 hour one): once, on each trip, in ~100F weather, the AC suddenly started blowing warm air. I fiddled with the controls to no avail and then, after about 1 minute or so, it kicked back to cold air again. It only happened once on each trip, and the AC was perfectly fine aside from that.

Is there some kind of emergency feature using the AC exclusively to cool the battery in high heat or something?

My MX 60D have the AC problem since June last month also, It come on or off on it own mind, I had original booked the appointment with SC on Jun 23 after I talk to SC with 2 hours windows. SC call me later and re book the appointment to July 4th. I was told that due to remote diagnostic, they needs 8 hours to do the repair and test.
Loaner car is nice, SC is courteous, but at the end of day, I pick up the car and still without the AC. Since SC need to order the part. I am really concern the future service when Tesla expect to ramp the volume with M3, Even today I am still waiting for 2nd row PS chair replacement due to defect in leather when I took delivered, since Dec. '16

It's not clear to me that better QA would have solved this particular issue. Sounds like the AC potentially stopped working on day three? Regardless, definitely sucks for this to happen OP, but whenever I have a failure nearly out of the box with a product/system, I'm always reminded of bathtub curves from my earlier days. Bathtub curve - Wikipedia
I few years ago, we got a fancy new induction range to replace the gas range that one of my counter-surfing Ridgebacks figured out how to turn on (but not how to turn it back off).

The night the range was delivered, we started making a nice meal and within 15 minutes, there was a LOUD POP and it totally went dead. I called and they brought a new one out in a day or so to replace it. A week later, we were using the second range and it had a similar issue but only half the burners went out and the oven continued to work. We got that one replaced too and it's been fine for the past 5 years. Funny how things work out like that sometimes. Instead of getting upset, I found it funny. :)

• Funny
Reactions: skitown
@oktane - make sure you aren't in range mode. Otherwise my AC is super cool if I want it to be. I keep it mainly at 71F.

OP has every right to be upset. This isn't uncommon. The reason that Tesla is out of this part (likely the "chiller") is because many (I've read at least 10 new owners) have had this exact problem. Someone at the factory isn't installing the chiller properly and its resulting in failed AC for new owners.

AC Blowing Hot Air | Tesla

Air Conditioner Blows Hot Air | Tesla

Check your AC

ETC...

Interesting. Sounds like a bad trend.
Coincidentally, I had a service appointment last week (suspension issue) and ended up chatting with another customer. He had a brand new Model X he had picked up on Monday, July 3. Here it was only 2 days later and his AC was not working. He was most unhappy! I left before he did so I do not know how the story ended, but he told me Tesla was going to repair it that day if they could or give him a loaner if they could not. Next day I drove past the service center and his car was still there, poor bugger.

My A/C also stopped working in the first week of ownership. I have a March '17 build. I have seen this issue in other threads so I do not think these are one-offs. There is a weak part associated with the A/C in newer Telsas IMO.

My SC had me bring it in and they had it fixed within a few days.