Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model S quality issues take months to resolve

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service center people are genuinely caring and attentive but I think I'm with you on this, the quality of the supply chain (both in terms of timing and quality of parts supplied - if even the right part is supplied) is worrying. There could be ways around it, but since Tesla controls the whole system and keeps it closed, they create a problem for themselves...

Since they have been staffing up a ton over the last several months, I'm guessing they have too many greenhorns without sufficient training. There's a chance things will be better in a few months but before they start Model 3 assembly.

So, isn't that the discontinued color? If so, your replacement may not offer that option no matter how loudly you yell. Good luck

Since they have been staffing up a ton over the last several months, I'm guessing they have too many greenhorns without sufficient training. There's a chance things will be better in a few months but before they start Model 3 assembly.

So, isn't that the discontinued color? If so, your replacement may not offer that option no matter how loudly you yell. Good luck

It is the discontinued color, but I don't think we're going to get to the stage of replacing this car. I think I'm happy with what I got now, we just need to buff out the new hood (as ridiculous as that sounds) and I'll be finally a happy Tesla owners. I hope I don't have to deal with an SC for a long time though. Not a good experience in general..

I've had similar experiences over the last month at the Sunnyvale service center. I'm wondering if this is more of a problem with this location... We have a Model S 90D, purchased on 10/1/16 (inventory).

We had multiple cosmetic issues as well - misaligned bumper, doors/trim, panels, small scratch on door jamb, dash rattle, vibration in steering while driving at high speed, etc. Not only did they have the car for 24 days (including holidays/weekends), but they still haven't fixed everything.

The first time we picked up the car, one of the wheels had a large (3mm) chip and a couple of small marks on the front bumper from bottoming it out. I picked the car up at night, and didn't notice until I got home and looked in the light. My next appointment was in 5 days. When I brought it to their attention, the response was "well, the car isn't exactly new with 5k miles...). Except, it wasn't there when I dropped it off, and only drove ~40 miles since then. They reluctantly agreed to fix it after showing time/date stamped photos, and insisting this didn't happen with me.

Due to the damage after the first time, I emailed them asking to not drive the car off the lot (and that I'm available at any time if a test drive is needed to evaluate anything). They drove it ~40 miles anyway (really, 40 miles to evaluate the steering!?!?!)This time at pickup, I noticed that they bottomed out VERY badly along the entire underside, all the way to the back! Fortunately I got down on my hands and knees to evaluate this before leaving the lot. Their response "well, it's bound to happen eventually". We have the air suspension, and with appropriate caution, there is NO reason why this car will ever be bottomed out! Their attitude to how the cars are treated is very concerning. We also had the piece under the glovebox hanging down (not clipped in), as well as the shelf under the screen not installed properly. Clearly the staff here doesn't have the meticulous attention to detail that so many Tesla owners require.

They have ordered the parts to replace the plastic underbelly... I'm hesitant to leave the car with them again

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 145
  • scrape.jpg
    scrape.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 133
  • shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 137
I've had similar experiences over the last month at the Sunnyvale service center. I'm wondering if this is more of a problem with this location... We have a Model S 90D, purchased on 10/1/16 (inventory).

We had multiple cosmetic issues as well - misaligned bumper, doors/trim, panels, small scratch on door jamb, dash rattle, vibration in steering while driving at high speed, etc. Not only did they have the car for 24 days (including holidays/weekends), but they still haven't fixed everything.

The first time we picked up the car, one of the wheels had a large (3mm) chip and a couple of small marks on the front bumper from bottoming it out. I picked the car up at night, and didn't notice until I got home and looked in the light. My next appointment was in 5 days. When I brought it to their attention, the response was "well, the car isn't exactly new with 5k miles...). Except, it wasn't there when I dropped it off, and only drove ~40 miles since then. They reluctantly agreed to fix it after showing time/date stamped photos, and insisting this didn't happen with me.

Due to the damage after the first time, I emailed them asking to not drive the car off the lot (and that I'm available at any time if a test drive is needed to evaluate anything). They drove it ~40 miles anyway (really, 40 miles to evaluate the steering!?!?!)This time at pickup, I noticed that they bottomed out VERY badly along the entire underside, all the way to the back! Fortunately I got down on my hands and knees to evaluate this before leaving the lot. Their response "well, it's bound to happen eventually". We have the air suspension, and with appropriate caution, there is NO reason why this car will ever be bottomed out! Their attitude to how the cars are treated is very concerning. We also had the piece under the glovebox hanging down (not clipped in), as well as the shelf under the screen not installed properly. Clearly the staff here doesn't have the meticulous attention to detail that so many Tesla owners require.

They have ordered the parts to replace the plastic underbelly... I'm hesitant to leave the car with them again
Damn!

FWIW, despite some of the concerns and real issues you see here, Tesla does actually deliver quality cars far more often than it doesn't. It's just here, you are going to see all the bad with very little of the good.

I wouldn't give up just yet...

Jeff

Agreed. Tesla has delivered something like 100,000 cars to date. Although I honestly feel badly for those who have cars they are not happy with, it represents an extraordinarily small percentage of cars delivered and I expect in line with any other premium manufacturer.

Agreed. Tesla has delivered something like 100,000 cars to date. Although I honestly feel badly for those who have cars they are not happy with, it represents an extraordinarily small percentage of cars delivered and I expect in line with any other premium manufacturer.
I have had very few issues. Hopefully the car magazines such as Consumer Reports will start moving them up the reliability ranks now that the Model X has resolved most of their issues.

Ok the point being it has been a lot of cars!

I don't like being distrustful but I see a number of new members who post complaints about cars and then seem to disappear once a discussion is started. I wonder if some of them really own Tesla's or are just poop disturbing.

Reactions: anonim1979
really own Tesla's or are just poop disturbing.
Poop disturbing? :)
Many of the complaints often come from someone with no msg. or very few messages to the forum. Some have taken abuse for good reason. (Don't own a Tesla) Others maybe were not quite articulate enough. Either way
#93Snerruc is correct. I have been on many forums, research cars before purchasing etc............ If my only source was that forum I would probably be riding bikes :)

Reactions: brkaus and CarlK
I just got my MS90D in December 2016. It has several little things that I want the SC to take a look. The closest SC is the one in Sunnyvale, so it concerns me that ppl are having a bad experience there.

My car has a misaligned hood, front doors are hard to close, Side mirrors don't fold/unfold, the central screen is not well fitted in the console.

BTW, What is the best way to schedule a service visit? Is there a way to do it via the MyTesla site?