Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Model Y Battery Died

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. I recently bought a new Tesla Model Y a couple of weeks ago. After 2 weeks of using the car, I received a message telling me to service the car since it was unable to charge. The service department gave me a loaner and told me they had to replace the battery. I had been using a 220 outlet that I had an electrician install at home and another one that is available to everyone at work. Im not sure how experienced the electrician is and I’m a bit concerned that maybe one of these outlets caused the failure. Is it possible that either of these outlets caused the battery to fail or am I just being paranoid? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I don’t know much about electric and I want to make sure that this doesn’t happen again as it could potentially fall on me to replace the battery if it did.

Hi everyone. I recently bought a new Tesla Model Y a couple of weeks ago. After 2 weeks of using the car, I received a message telling me to service the car since it was unable to charge. The service department gave me a loaner and told me they had to replace the battery. I had been using a 220 outlet that I had an electrician install at home and another one that is available to everyone at work. Im not sure how experienced the electrician is and I’m a bit concerned that maybe one of these outlets caused the failure. Is it possible that either of these outlets caused the battery to fail or am I just being paranoid? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I don’t know much about electric and I want to make sure that this doesn’t happen again as it could potentially fall on me to replace the battery if it did.

Welcome to TMC,

I dont think its possible for an electrical outlet to cause a HV battery failure. There are a lot of checks and balances in the car related to charging, and the car will simply refuse to charge if something is amiss. I am over simplifying a bit, but the general concept is, its not possible for your outlet to have caused a HV battery failure.

In manufacturing (unfortunately), there is a certain percentage of things that suffer an early failure, for various reasons. I dont see how it could be the outlet, though.

I don’t see how ramping up production would have any bearing on battery pack quality. Vehicle assembly (panels, door, seals, interior trim, etc ) issues makes sense.
I mean they have to make more battery packs faster in order to match up with the increased rate of cars going down the line…

So by speeding up vehicle assembly they also have to speed up battery assembly in order to have enough batteries to put in the vehicles.

I’m far from being an electrician but I wired my 240v 60amp charger myself. Pretty simple thing to do, just remember to turn the power off. It works or it doesn’t work.

My wife came home from a business trip and asked; “Why is there a Tesla charger in the garage?“

Forgot to tell you, I bought a Tesla while you were on your business Trip. I (we) get it a week from Friday.

My wife came home from a business trip and asked; “Why is there a Tesla charger in the garage?“

Forgot to tell you, I bought a Tesla while you were on your business Trip. I (we) get it a week from Friday.

Since many times its very difficult to see intent in written communications... I marked your post funny for this part :)

Reactions: fholbert
She was okay with the Tesla, but I’m no longer allowed to go to Costco after loading up the cart in the electronics isle.
LMAO...

When I go to Costco with my wife, she just ditches me while I peruse the electronic section, to go about her shopping. I then have to hunt her down in the sea of bodies like im a lost child or something. I usually text her and say "lost husband looking for wife" and she then tells me where she is in the store.

She got tired a long time ago of me messing up her shopping flow, since she is a person who shops with a list and pretty much only gets whats "on the list" and I am the opposite. After 37 years together though, we have all that stuff worked out a long time ago... but I still get left in the electronics isle at costco, lmao.

I guess we'll never know if the percentage of HV battery infant mortality rate is getting higher or not, since we don't have the numbers for any warranty replacements.
I guess I'm a Tesla fanboi, because I'll assume the percentage of failure is the same as before, but more cars are being sold.

Reactions: richyrich
LMAO...

When I go to Costco with my wife, she just ditches me while I peruse the electronic section, to go about her shopping. I then have to hunt her down in the sea of bodies like im a lost child or something. I usually text her and say "lost husband looking for wife" and she then tells me where she is in the store.

She got tired a long time ago of me messing up her shopping flow, since she is a person who shops with a list and pretty much only gets whats "on the list" and I am the opposite. After 37 years together though, we have all that stuff worked out a long time ago... but I still get left in the electronics isle at costco, lmao.
My wife took a different route and just doesn’t invite me to Costco anymore. She frowned on my continuous “do we Really need 18 tubes of tooth paste and 30 boxes of Mac n Cheese??”

Tesla is using many different battery technologies, types and manufacturers in their vehicles. This can pose QA challenges; remember the bad batch supplied and installed into the Chevy Bolts in early 2022. What country did you buy the Tesla/I see Florida, what model? what version? ex USA/Florida, MY, LR. In Canada, you can source a MY RWD with LFPs from China. I have a MYP/Freemont CA with LithIon from Panasonic/Nevada 2170s. I have a M3RWD/Freemont with LFP from China, manuf unknown. You also have the chance of a MY/Texas with 4680s from Teslas own factory. Crazy mixing going on right now.

Reactions: sleepydoc
48 amps is a lot of current and the wires expand and contract with heating and cooling. This can cause the lugs to loosen with use if not torqued to spec.

Yes, there is also the problem that an under-torqued connection will have less than engineered contact area. The same thing happens if over-torqued with the additional possibility or arcing. If the latter, the best practice is to snip off the ends and start fresh.

Correct torque is really, really, really important.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yes, there is also the problem that an under-torqued connection will have less than engineered contact area. The same thing happens if over-torqued with the additional possibility or arcing. If the latter, the best practice is to snip off the ends and start fresh.

Correct torque is really, really, really important.
Thanks for the info. On an HPWC2, what is the correct torque?