Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new model Y doors wont close due to window glass issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Tesla Model Y 2022 owner here and new to the forum. Found this forum as I was looking frantically about my new model Y doors issue. Hope this post is acceptable on this forum and I can find some advice.

So I just picked up new 2022 Model Y on March 12th evening and the doors at the time of delivery looked and worked fine. I got the car home setup my kid's car seat and took him out for a ride. Doors worked fine all through this time. As I got back home and opened the rear passenger door from outside I heard a screeching sound. I noticed that the window glass did not do that auto roll-down-a-bit to allow door to open. I now cannot close the door. I then tried to open and close all doors and noticed the same thing is happening on front passenger side door too. At the time of pickup, the person who handled my delivery had told me to use the Tesla app to book any service appointments and not call them and so I booked one right away. Unfortunately they are not available until Wednesday so my new car is sitting in the garage with 2 doors that do not shut. I was so excited about this car and seeing this after just one ride is so disappointing. Was not expecting this type of issue on such an expensive car.

I tried to roll down the windows using the buttons on the driver side door and it worked once, out of may attempts, and was able to close all doors and then I tried to test again and the window glass got stuck again. I am worried if I and any one riding in my car have to carefully watch of the door window glass is aligned and rolled down properly before opening and closing the doors every time. That is so painful and if someone just closes the door behind them like on a normal car and the window had not rolled down as it should then the glass or the door trim would be damaged.

I am now debating if I even made the right decision to buy this car. Was looking up return policy and I am not yet sure if I can return this car. Anyone else seen this issue? Even if they fix this on Wednesday I wonder if this issue would come back given its intermittent nature in the last one day. I will always be paranoid about opening and closing doors on this car now, so unfortunate . Appreciate any help from other owners that have had this issue.

Here are a few images of the problem:

BED5415D-6F9F-452B-A2F2-DE150FF44D8B_1_105_c.jpeg

See how the window glass is all the way up and so pressing into the door frame close to the pillar? Because of that the door wont close. I cannot roll the windows using the buttons either.

But then somehow during multiple tries I was able to roll down the windows using the buttons on the driver side door. I then closed the doors, rolled up the windows and then tried to open and close the doors and ran into the same problem - glass is not properly aligned, wont roll down automatically, wont roll down with buttons either. You can see this in the image below, the glass and frame are not aligned at all now. This is happening on both doors on the passenger side. The driver side doors seem to work fine at the moment.

DA966D04-727C-4DF9-8ECF-709ACA791F0B_1_105_c.jpeg

I haven't seen/heard of this... is the service center far away? I'd just call and drive it there w/o appointment (if somewhat nearby). My only other suggestion (temporarily) if the buttons aren't working on the inside of the car is to use the app and try "vent" for the windows. My only other thought it to make 100% sure that you are using the correct button to open the doors (on top of the handle) and not the "emergency exit" button lower down.

Thanks a lot for the replies.
@MY1stEV - Thanks for the manual link, I will go through that, if not fix my self I will at least have the knowledge.
@PatlinCT I went back to the car and checked and I am sure I am hitting the right button, but no luck still. Thanks for the reply.
@Mcbra!n Thank you. You reply gives me some hope that Tech will be able to fix my car issue also permanently

I booked a service appointment and also just had a phone conversation with Tesla service center. They sent me instructions to re-calibrate the windows. They are scheduled to come take a look on Wednesday Mar - 16th so I am planning to just wait on this. Worried about having to do this on a new car and if I try it my self I might get it to work for now but I will always have it on my mind when opening and closing doors. I decided to let the technician come in and take a look and hopefully assure me of a permanent fix. So sitting tight until March 16th for Tech to arrive.

Thanks a lot for the replies.
@MY1stEV - Thanks for the manual link, I will go through that, if not fix my self I will at least have the knowledge.
@PatlinCT I went back to the car and checked and I am sure I am hitting the right button, but no luck still. Thanks for the reply.
@Mcbra!n Thank you. You reply gives me some hope that Tech will be able to fix my car issue also permanently

I booked a service appointment and also just had a phone conversation with Tesla service center. They sent me instructions to re-calibrate the windows. They are scheduled to come take a look on Wednesday Mar - 16th so I am planning to just wait on this. Worried about having to do this on a new car and if I try it my self I might get it to work for now but I will always have it on my mind when opening and closing doors. I decided to let the technician come in and take a look and hopefully assure me of a permanent fix. So sitting tight until March 16th for Tech to arrive.
Did you try the soft reset as suggested?

@Ralbright Thanks for the reply (did not see your suggestion earlier). Will try it after work this evening. Even if it fixes it the idea that it might malfunction again and someone closing the door might cause damage to door frame will keep bothering me. I will try this later today but will continue my communication with the service tech too.

@RicH Thanks for the reply. Yes contacted Tesla service center. Hoping for a quick and permanent fix soon.

Reactions: Ralbright
This is a known issue and I had the same problem. Something to do with the light that's installed on the back door that shorts the circuit. I had a remote service visit and the tech new exactly what was wrong right away. Took 2 minutes to replace the light and it was fixed. Would just keep the back doors closed until your service visit.

Reactions: Y_tho
...if I can return this car...
No not anymore. Once you drive it off the delivery center, it's yours. You'll have to claim Lemon Law to return it.

It used to be 7 days with no question asked in 2019 for a very short time:

...Anyone else seen this issue?
It is mostly likely a calibration error, software-related, so it should easily be re-calibrated by following the instructions.

...I will always be paranoid about opening and closing doors on this car now, so unfortunate...
Don't panic. It's an easy fix. Until it is fixed, I would lower the glasses down first before opening the doors to make sure the glasses won't damage the trim or even break on their own.

Again, it's a software company so don't panic and good luck!

This is a known issue and I had the same problem. Something to do with the light that's installed on the back door that shorts the circuit. I had a remote service visit and the tech new exactly what was wrong right away. Took 2 minutes to replace the light and it was fixed. Would just keep the back doors closed until your service visit.
My bet is that THIS is likely the issue, if the puddle lights go bad on the bottom of the doors, the windows will no longer close correctly. Since you car is new, you can have service replace the offending light, but if they are taking some time, it might be worth just doing it yourself. Easy to check , open the doors and see which (if any) puddle light is not working.

Reactions: Y_tho
My bet is that THIS is likely the issue, if the puddle lights go bad on the bottom of the doors, the windows will no longer close correctly. Since you car is new, you can have service replace the offending light, but if they are taking some time, it might be worth just doing it yourself. Easy to check , open the doors and see which (if any) puddle light is not working.
Not that this is definitely the OP's problem, but I had the same issue, where the window stopped opening/closing correctly. It was indeed related to the little light at the bottom of the door. The time to fix it was mostly to the time it took the tech to walk back to the mobile service vehicle to grab the replacement part.

The car has been sitting at the service center since Mar 15 and it is expected to be there until March 23rd. I was not expecting it to take that long, probably they were not expecting it either as Uber credits they gave me seem to have expired. I guess it is what it is and I just have to wait. While dropping off the car, I asked the person at the service center desk how a car would be delivered and have this type of computer problem right after one ride and he gave me several minutes of "stuff happens, this is what warranty is for and he is confident they will fix it". Just hopping they know what they are talking about and it was not some bs to shoo me off and can really fix this for good. I am trying to not worry about this but its hard to get it off my mind that car would need to be at service center for more than a week after a single ride. What type of quality checks did it go through if any? Hoping next week will be different, hoping to put this behind and start enjoying the ride like I was expecting to do when I decided to by a Tesla...

The car has been sitting at the service center since Mar 15 and it is expected to be there until March 23rd. I was not expecting it to take that long, probably they were not expecting it either as Uber credits they gave me seem to have expired. I guess it is what it is and I just have to wait. While dropping off the car, I asked the person at the service center desk how a car would be delivered and have this type of computer problem right after one ride and he gave me several minutes of "stuff happens, this is what warranty is for and he is confident they will fix it". Just hopping they know what they are talking about and it was not some bs to shoo me off and can really fix this for good. I am trying to not worry about this but its hard to get it off my mind that car would need to be at service center for more than a week after a single ride. What type of quality checks did it go through if any? Hoping next week will be different, hoping to put this behind and start enjoying the ride like I was expecting to do when I decided to by a Tesla...

Having to take a new car in to fix minor issues is common, no matter who the manufacturer is. Try not to worry about it, they’ll fix it. As far as the Uber credits, give them a call. They should be able to give you some more.

Reactions: Pianewman
@ragamy2022 I've had the same issue for months in the same location. I've tried the reset/calibration procedure which resolves it for a few days until it happens again. The first mobile service guy changed out the door puddle LED which I had as aftermarket. I ran the OEM light for a few months and am still having the same issue. I've actually got a service center appointment for tomorrow (3/21) where they will take a look at it.
20220126_195350.jpg

Yeah in my experience Tesla service has been really bad. I’ve had to leave my vehicle at the SC two separate times for a week each time. The thing about the app and sentry mode is that, unless your vehicle is in service mode, it’s pretty easy to keep track of what’s happening. Both times my vehicle sat unmoved in a parking spot behind the SC for 3 business days before anyone touched it. The 2nd appointment was especially frustrating because they knew exactly what needed to be done; it was a follow up to the first appointment after which a part needed to be ordered. Once they began work, it took only one shift to complete the repairs, and my car was ready the next day. I know everyone is really busy, but my issue was not a safety problem that had to be urgently repaired. I scheduled service several weeks in advance and expected them to plan their work as well. Tesla is a tremendous technology innovator run by engineers; it appears they never got around to finding operators to actually run the business.
Your profile says you’re in North Georgia I’m guessing it’s a bit of a haul for you to get to a serviced center?

Reactions: Maric and alexcue
@loan-potato Thank you for positive words. I am still hopeful that they will fix it

@tienngo1012 I feel your pain. May be your issue is also a computer issue like they said mine was. Hoping you will have a better luck than me.

@Geech72I believe in my case too they were waiting on the part. Part seems to have arrived on Monday (Mar-21) and I was told my car was ready for pickup by that evening. I am not really in north GA, north suburb of ATL. So drive to Tesla Service center is not too bad.

But any way my bad experience with brand new Tesla does not seem to be over yet. I went to the service center today and as soon as I sat in the car and tried to turn on the AC, there was an error message on the screen that said " Climate keeper unavailable due to system fault". I had requested them to do a full checkup when thy asked me to pickup my car and they assured it was done. But that does not seem to be the case. The front desk tech told me right away as I was showing him the problem and asked how they missed this, that the car hard to sit idle for a night for this issue to be detected, if they knew that I do not know why they did not run it through that test before telling me to pick it up. But anyway I did not get my car and they told me they will look into it and I had to leave it there.

While I was there another unhappy customer at the center was talking about his car issues. I spoke to him and got to know he also had a new Tesla (not sure of the model) and it just shutdown completely and he had to get it towed to the service center. After 4 weeks he was asked to pick it up, which he did and then the same thing happened again, so he is back at the service center. Scary stuff!

• Informative
Reactions: Maric
Your last item is probably the heat pump issue that everyone's been having, at least around here. It happens when it happens, they can't "check it for you". Frustrating when it's not the first issue, but at least you know that many people are having the same (known by now) issue.

NOTE: IF you sit at a dealer, you will constantly hear of people having issues, that's what we go there for. There's virtually no maintenance to do on these cars, you won't get someone who's only there "to change the oil" and everything is good. Apart from the heatpump problem, I don't believe these cars frequently have issues.

Reactions: ragamy2022