Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Model Y for $39,630 plus tax for California.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$54,630 - $7,500 Clean Vehicle Rebate - $7,500 Federal Tax Credit = $39,630 plus tax, title, and license. Could somebody give some thoughts or insight on this?

Summary of February 28, 2023 updates:

Applications must be submitted within 90 calendar days of purchase or lease to be eligible for a rebate. Previously this was stated as 3 months.

In addition to the standard CVRP rebate, consumers with household income less than or equal to 400 percent of the federal poverty level are eligible for an increased rebate amount of $5,500 (previously $2,500) for BEVs and PHEVs, and $3,000 (previously $2,500) for FCEVs. This amounts to:

$7,500 for fuel cell electric vehicles (previously $7,000)
$7,500 for battery-electric vehicles (previously $4,500)
$6,500 for plug-in hybrid vehicles (previously $3,500)

$54,630 - $7,500 Clean Vehicle Rebate - $7,500 Federal Tax Credit = $39,630 plus tax, title, and license. Could somebody give some thoughts or insight on this?

CVRP have not updated their documentation since the Telsa price drop.

> Based on CVRP vehicle eligibility requirements, any Tesla Model 3 or Model Y that was ordered on or after March 16, 2022, is not eligible for a CVRP rebate.

- Can I apply for a rebate for my Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model Y? | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

But I assume the following still apply and they will update their documentation soon?

> CVRP-eligible Cars (per EPA Vehicle Class) have a maximum manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $45,000*.

> CVRP-eligible SUVs, trucks, and vans (per EPA Vehicle Class) have a maximum manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $60,000.

Model 3 RWD ($43,990) and Model Y LR 7-seater ($56,990) are the only Telsa vehicle that falls under these MSRP prices, potentially the Model Y 5-seater could qualify CVRP if California classifies SUV differently than the IRS, that would be strange though.

> ...by offering rebates from $1,000 to $7,000 for the purchase or lease of new, eligible zero-emission vehicles

I would guess the rebate (if any) would be at the lower end of this range.

Income limit still applies.
Prior to February 24,2022
  • $150,000 for single filers
  • $204,000 for head-of-household
  • $300,000 for joint filers
On/after February 24, 2022
  • $135,000 for single filers
  • $175,000 for head-of-household
  • $200,000 for joint filers

> Based on CVRP vehicle eligibility requirements, any Tesla Model 3 or Model Y that was ordered on or after March 16, 2022, is not eligible for a CVRP rebate.

- Can I apply for a rebate for my Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model Y? | Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

But I assume the following still apply and they will update their documentation soon?

> CVRP-eligible Cars (per EPA Vehicle Class) have a maximum manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) of $45,000*.

> CVRP-eligible SUVs, trucks, and vans (per EPA Vehicle Class) have a maximum manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $60,000.

Model 3 RWD ($43,990) and Model Y LR 7-seater ($56,990) are the only Telsa vehicle that falls under these MSRP prices, potentially the Model Y 5-seater could qualify CVRP if California classifies SUV differently than the IRS, that would be strange though.

> ...by offering rebates from $1,000 to $7,000 for the purchase or lease of new, eligible zero-emission vehicles

if you're income is that low that qualifies you for the $7500 CVRP rebate, will you be paying enough taxes to fully take advantage of the fed rebate and CVRP?

So a family of four would need to make at least ~$70k to have enough federal tax liability to get the full $7500 credit but less than $111,000 to qualify for the full $7500 low-income California rebate.

Assuming the Model Y is re-added to the eligibility list at some point.

Pretty small eligibility window.

Reactions: ord3r

State of California and Feds aren’t in sync often. If you take a look at the eligibility list, the CVRP website lists the 2023 Mach-E as eligible and that vehicle only has 5 seats and has a starting MSRP of 46k. Basically the same vehicle as model Y size wise. If one is classified as an suv, they both should be.

Reactions: house9