Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model Y P needs a battery replacement.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call last week from Tesla to bring my car in ASAP.
Dropped off today to find out I’ll need a total battery replacement. Apparently my vin qualifies for a recall due to delaminating battery cells.

Should take about two weeks I was told.

Sucks.
And they gave me this old and dirty model S as a loaner.

Attachments

• D9195CF3-1D88-45F1-B59F-B6E78537AE51.jpeg
    D9195CF3-1D88-45F1-B59F-B6E78537AE51.jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 2,198
  • BAB76C4D-36EE-4CCD-B63C-57095699D261.jpeg
    BAB76C4D-36EE-4CCD-B63C-57095699D261.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 403
  • 0D4639B0-B626-4F39-B53A-4827040D788B.jpeg
    0D4639B0-B626-4F39-B53A-4827040D788B.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 400
I guess I’m used to my BMW dealer giving me brand new loaners.

I’m disappointed that my brand new car has issues already.
Welcome to the world of Tesla ownership. We are all basically early adopters. You've been spoiled by the F80 and Cayman! =P

This was my car a couple of weeks into ownership as well.

See this thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/hmm-interesting-service-situation….239727/#post-5906674

ca50a4cc-3931-4433-9a08-ae56dafb7c88-jpeg.707346

I also have a '22 MYP and got a vague voicemail yesterday evening asking me to schedule a service appointment for a battery replacement. I called a local Tesla SC but they had no record of anything. Just a few minutes ago I received an e-mail confirming a service appointment for late December and a text message stating the following:

Hello, this is ***** from Tesla Service. We've recently become aware of a concern that may impact your battery range and ability to charge your vehicle. Unfortunately, we were not able to reach you over the phone. To get out and in front of the concern, we have scheduled you for a complimentary service appointment to address it. We will provide you a loaner vehicle for length of this repair. If this day and time does not work for you, please use your Tesla mobile app to change the date and time, thank you.

Car seems to drive fine, although I did hear some odd hissing noises (similar to an air brake) yesterday while parked on the side of the road. 307x VIN and <400 miles on the car.

Reactions: NHK X
I also have a '22 MYP and got a vague voicemail yesterday evening asking me to schedule a service appointment for a battery replacement. I called a local Tesla SC but they had no record of anything. Just a few minutes ago I received an e-mail confirming a service appointment for late December and a text message stating the following:

Car seems to drive fine, although I did hear some odd hissing noises (similar to an air brake) yesterday while parked on the side of the road. 307x VIN and <400 miles on the car.
Looks like we are in the same boat.
I wonder if it’s a recall Tesla is trying to keep under wraps.
My SA specifically said “battery cell delamination” which Sounds serious.

My previous car was a 2013 Kia Optima SXL. It had the turbo 4 cylinder. Kia had a recall for their motors for shavings in crank case. All 2011 to 2014 were covered. Mine went out at 109k. Motor locked up while driving. All covered under warranty. Didnt pay a penny. Everyone i know who had this motor had theirs replaced as well. These things happen.

Guessing there is a new battery issue they found out about. Glad they are taking care of it quickly.

Welcome to the world of Tesla ownership. We are all basically early adopters. You've been spoiled by the F80 and Cayman! =P

This was my car a couple of weeks into ownership as well.

See this thread: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/hmm-interesting-service-situation….239727/#post-5906674
In fairness to Tesla, they probably got a bad batch of batteries from LG but by the time they had enough data to identify and diagnose the issuel cars were already built and shipped. It's not just a Tesla thing, it can and does happen with all auto makers (well, except for it being batteries.)

Tesla did the right thing, and honestly, that seems like a pretty nice loaner to me! (I'm sure Tesla is prioritizing new cars to fill orders rather than supplying the dealers with loaners which is exactly what they should be doing.)

In fairness to Tesla, they probably got a bad batch of batteries from LG but by the time they had enough data to identify and diagnose the issuel cars were already built and shipped. It's not just a Tesla thing, it can and does happen with all auto makers (well, except for it being batteries.)

Tesla did the right thing, and honestly, that seems like a pretty nice loaner to me! (I'm sure Tesla is prioritizing new cars to fill orders rather than supplying the dealers with loaners which is exactly what they should be doing.)
Im not even mad at Tesla anymore. I love the car so much and what the brand represents, I can never go back to a gas powered car or another brand.

I guess I’m used to my BMW dealer giving me brand new loaners.
It probably boils down to availability. Tesla is churning out cars as fast as they can to customers. I'm guessing they don't have spares right now for loaners. In about 3-4 years, I suspect they'll provide each service centre with many loaners.
I’m disappointed that my brand new car has issues already.
Totally agree with you here.. I would be exactly the same.

Reactions: Happy Hippo