Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model Y sold with poorly repaired rear body panel frame

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This part raises a big red flag for the body shop, IMO. They know that Tesla does this with certainty, because they do it too. Its a common practice.

Why are they acting like it's wrong? I'm not doubting they are reputable, but I'd get a second opinion from a certified shop as they aren't being 100% straight with you.
This is a good point. Collision repair involves bending metal, and that’s not exactly a gentle process.

Reactions: jsight
If true ask the Certified Boy Shop to take pictures of the areas. Lots of pictures. All I see is some over spray on unpainted parts. You will need pictures of the previous repair work. If repair was under a certain amount Tesla doesn't have to disclose that car was repaired
Here is a picture taking during the installation of a tow hitch.
(I found a video of a Model Y with the same color as @fusch Model Y)

When the bumper cover get removed, you can see that some areas are shiny and well painted
and other areas are just lightly colored by a distant spray during the whole painting of the car.

Model Y - Trailer Hitch Installation a.jpg

I had my car rear-ended and the whole rear panel was replaced. I recently removed my bumper cover to install a tow bar hitch.
I noticed that the body shop repainted the whole rear of the car, so the pain was uniform everywhere.
Even some little black plastic grommets were covered with paint.

@fusch the fact that some areas are only lightly painted is a good indication that the paint was the original paint performed during manufacturing.
To save time and cost, Tesla optimizes painting only visible areas, using multiple small sprays and left the other areas only covered with the primer color.

By opposition, a body shop manually paint a car with a single spray and try to make everything uniform to blend with the other parts.
This explain the comments made by the body shop regarding the kind of 'trashy' job done when compare to their own standard.

They may not use sledge hammers but they do use some type of large pry bar or something similar. The rear door hinges on each side of my MS when delivered were missing paint which looked like someone had taken a hammer to them. Personally I never noticed it however the PPF guys pointed it out to me. Showed this to the service centre who quickly responded by telling me this is how they adjust the doors at the factory. They did remove and repaint the hinges after my complaint. For what its worth, my MS was delivered Dec 28 2021 as a 2022 model.

Reactions: jsight