Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new MY first time on highway the under body plastic came off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simply enough if they attach the tray the other way around, it won't easily come off., even they use bad materials.

It isn't hard to understand that when people install tiles on the roof, they do something like this

1666561270526.png

so the water won't go in. If you see someone installs tiles the reverse way, you would call him idiot. Unfortunately, this is what tesla did.

They should definitely change the way to install the tray.

Difficult to see from the photo, but this looks like the panel has been pulled away from the bolt securing it leaving some of the panel around the bolt?

1666561681288 copy.png

If so, that's 100% caused by the car running over something which ripped it off. It may have happened pre-delivery and just got worse as you were driving it. Inspect the underside of the car properly and look for signs of something scraping. A better photo with the camera/phone pointing up directly where the edge of the tray is would help.

Last edited:
Probably they forgot a few plastic clips at the factory. I don’t think it iss the design flaw since mine is enduring highway speed all the time (90-100+ mph)
It's secured by bolts, not clips and with the early Model 3s some were left off/loose from the factory, but more recently they added thread lock compound to the bolts and it's not as much of an issue now.

Difficult to see from the photo, but this looks like the panel has been pulled away from the bolt securing it leaving some of the panel around the bolt?

View attachment 866993

If so, that's 100% caused by the car running over something which ripped it off. It may have happened pre-delivery and just got worse as you were driving it. Inspect the underside of the car properly and look for signs of something scraping. A better photo with the camera/phone pointing up directly where the edge of the tray is would help.
Nope. It's just wind force. it is easy to figure it out.

1. This is a brand new car never drove on highway, I was driving like a grandma, really careful about it, and pay extreme attention to the road conditions. (Put yourself in the same situation, would you NOT pay attention to the roads when you drive a brand new car with less than 30 kilometer?)

2. I drove on well paved roads, not on some random roads with gravels. (You may not aware of this, but this is reality, here almost all roads are well paved).

3. If it was caused by hitting an object, why there were no marks on the plastic shield? I definitely did NOT hit any object.

1. This is a brand new car never drove on highway, I was driving like a grandma, really careful about it, and pay extreme attention to the road conditions. (Put yourself in the same situation, would you NOT pay attention to the roads when you drive a brand new car with less than 30 kilometer?)

2. I drove on well paved roads, not on some random roads with gravels. (You may not aware of this, but this is reality, here almost all roads are well paved).

3. If it was caused by hitting an object, why there were no marks on the plastic shield? I definitely did NOT hit any object.
It doesn't come out of the factory on a pillow you realise? It's been driven to get to the delivery point. Do you know the exact route it took to get from the factory to you? Damage can and does occur during the transportation process.

Here's an example of a Tesla which has 'never been driven on a highway':

1666620029335.png

You haven't shown us the entirety of the plastic shields and where they are bolted to the car. Come up with some better photos and we can have a more detailed discussion about it, but I can assure you it wasn't caused by 'wind force'.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: _tb_ and Pianewman

1. This is a brand new car never drove on highway, I was driving like a grandma,
I guess all grandmas don't have any car related issues?
Tesla just forgot to put the bolt/fasteners or didn't tighten them all the way. Not the design flaw. How do I know? I drive as if I just stole it from grandma, but no issue.

Reactions: Pianewman
It doesn't come out of the factory on a pillow you realise? It's been driven to get to the delivery point. Do you know the exact route it took to get from the factory to you? Damage can and does occur during the transportation process.

Here's an example of a Tesla which has 'never been driven on a highway':

View attachment 867000

You haven't shown us the entirety of the plastic shields and where they are bolted to the car. Come up with some better photos and we can have a more detailed discussion about it, but I can assure you it wasn't caused by 'wind force'.
You cannot assure anything, you did not drive it, you did not see it.

• Funny
Reactions: Dangerous Fish
To summarize what several have stated, with experience to back up their comments.

1) Mounting hardware was probably missing or not tightened properly. After a brief amount of driving, the panel broke loose.
2) There is a possibility the panel was damaged, with hardware compromised, while in transit.
3) There is no design flaw. There are several hundred thousand Model Ys on the road, and very few have reported issues with the aero panel, which are made of very sturdy plastic.

Sorry for the belligerence in this thread. The OP's questions have been answered very clearly.

ThatMike: Was it damaged/torn in any way, or was it delivered to you w/o the hardware intact? Very curious here.
They did not say anything, just fixed it free of charge.

When I picked up the car, I looked at the bottom, I remember I saw a couple bolts/snaps stick out look like tightened, (don't remember if there were gaps, or maybe small gaps), I thought that was OK. After they fixed it, I looked again, all bolts are flush, they do not stick out, I also checked other cars in parking lot, all look like the fixed one, no bolts sticking out.

What I should have done is, when I picked up the car, I should have compared the bottom with other cars, unfortunately it was a raining day. I knew Tesla has bad QC, but thought they have been making cars for more than a decade they should have good QC by now.

As for people thought this was caused by any road object, clearly it wasn't, they would not fix it free of charge if they saw any evidence of object damage.

Thanks

Glad it was only a mounting hardware issue, and the panel wasn't damaged. I agree with you, QC should have picked this up, it's easily visible when it isn't right.
Hope your black-screen issue is resolved, as well.