Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new owner. Puzzled by Autopilot FSD Speed Limit Offset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All! New MYLR owner here. I'm trying to understand the autopilot in this beautiful beast, but the speed offset is getting me. Before I get started, here's my specs:

• 2022 MYLR FSD (requested beta, but not approved yet)
  • Set autopilot speed offset to +5 mph
It is my understanding after reading the manual soooooo many times that if I'm driving on a 65 mph interstate, it should go to 70 mph. If the speed changes to 70, autopilot should go up to 75. If the speed limit goes down to 60, it should go down to 65 mph, etc. That is not at all what's happening. I turned it on while going like 73 in a 70 zone. It set it to 73 MAX, and did not adjust my speed ... ever ... until I either manually adjusted it or it exited the freeway.

What am I doing wrong?

Offset takes place once a speed limit change happens. If you engage AP at a certain speed, that's the speed (like a cruise control). On my Model X, I can pull back and hold on the AP stalk and it will reset my max speed to my offset, not sure if there is a similar movement for the non AP-stalked vehicles.

Also, just making sure.. you have the offset tuned on and set to 5mph?

Offset takes place once a speed limit change happens. If you engage AP at a certain speed, that's the speed (like a cruise control). On my Model X, I can pull back and hold on the AP stalk and it will reset my max speed to my offset, not sure if there is a similar movement for the non AP-stalked vehicles.

Also, just making sure.. you have the offset tuned on and set to 5mph?
Hi DSolie. Thanks for the explanation and yes I have it turned on and set to 5 mph. So if I get on the Interstate and set AP at 75 in a 70 zone, 75 is my set speed. Then if the speed limit changes to 65, it will adjust down to 70 for me? I'm about to head out to play again. :)

One thing that frequently gets people is that they set make changes to their Easy Entry profile and not the profile they are using while driving.

If you have it set to +5 and the speed limit sign on the screen say x, when you engage it should display (x+5) to the left of the speed limit with MAX.

One thing that frequently gets people is that they set make changes to their Easy Entry profile and not the profile they are using while driving.

If you have it set to +5 and the speed limit sign on the screen say x, when you engage it should display (x+5) to the left of the speed limit with MAX.
So I went out driving for a few more hours and it's just not clear to me what the intent of the offset is. I got it to 75 and hit AP. It said "75 MAX" as you said it would. However when the speed limit reduced to 55, it stayed at 75. So I had to manually turn it down to 60. Thought it would do this automatically? Then when the speed limit went back up to 70, I had to manually crank it back up to 75 because it continued to cruise at 60.

I thought that a +5 offset from the speed limit would be simply that. No matter what the current speed limit is, the car will do +5 of that posted speed limit. I seem to have completely misunderstood that feature.

From the info you provided It seems you forgot to press "speed limit" for Set Speed. Hope this works

1666664567325.png

So I went out driving for a few more hours and it's just not clear to me what the intent of the offset is. I got it to 75 and hit AP. It said "75 MAX" as you said it would. However when the speed limit reduced to 55, it stayed at 75. So I had to manually turn it down to 60. Thought it would do this automatically? Then when the speed limit went back up to 70, I had to manually crank it back up to 75 because it continued to cruise at 60.

I thought that a +5 offset from the speed limit would be simply that. No matter what the current speed limit is, the car will do +5 of that posted speed limit. I seem to have completely misunderstood that feature.
when your on an interstate highway it rarely, if ever reduces the speed even if you encounter a lower speed limit (with the exception of interchanges). where you'll notice it changing down is off the highway on local roads, there it enforces speed limits much more strictly.

Reactions: bedoig
when your on an interstate highway it rarely, if ever reduces the speed even if you encounter a lower speed limit (with the exception of interchanges). where you'll notice it changing down is off the highway on local roads, there it enforces speed limits much more strictly.
Got it, thanks. You're right, that's almost exactly what I've been experiencing. Yeah just trying to learn what it is and isn't supposed to be doing. Having a ball trying to figure it all out. Hoping to get into the beta soon. These things are fun!