Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*Brand New* Powerwall 2 Founder Series and Gateway 2 and Accessories For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Selling my brand new Founder Series Red Tesla Powerwall 2 including Gateway 2 and all accessories in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Everything is brand new and sitting on the pallet it was delivered to me on. Serious inquiry only.

Asking price $8,500.

Local pick up or buyer arranged freight. It is on a shipping pallet and ready to ship.

image.jpeg

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

As a caution to anyone looking to buy a Powerwall that has been sitting since 2020, It may be bricked. Not saying for sure, but there is a possibility. I was one of the people who designed the Powerwall. It’s not meant to sit on a shelf for more than a year. The battery management system draws a small amount of power from the battery continuously. See page 4 of this doc, "The maximum acceptable storage duration (without measures to maintain function) is 12 months" http://azmag.gov/Portals/0/Document...ion_Storage_1-2.pdf?ver=2018-02-22-161041-780

As a caution to anyone looking to buy a Powerwall that has been sitting since 2020, It may be bricked. Not saying for sure, but there is a possibility. I was one of the people who designed the Powerwall. It’s not meant to sit on a shelf for more than a year. The battery management system draws a small amount of power from the battery continuously. See page 4 of this doc, "The maximum acceptable storage duration (without measures to maintain function) is 12 months" http://azmag.gov/Portals/0/Document...ion_Storage_1-2.pdf?ver=2018-02-22-161041-780
Thank you! - will definitely keep this in mind.

I guess the PW2 I've had in my basement for 15 months falls into this category? Is there anything I can do?

The Tesla Energy crew said they might have to "jump start" it if it's that low.
Wouldn't it have a 'complete shutdown' mode when the batteries get that low so it's not bricked?

I had purchased a battery from someone that had it sitting for 18 months, it was completely bricked and no recoverable. We added it to our current setup and Tesla tried to get it online to “jump start” it as the tech said. They were ultimately able to read data from the battery, but it was completely unrocoverable and was not covered by the warranty.

I was able to get a good deal from the seller as I had mentioned that the battery may be bricked and was able to work a good deal.

In short, there is risk, I can’t say how much risk as I have a sample of one, but I did encounter a bricked and unrecoverable Powerwall 2.

A few questions..

Assuming my PW2 was at or near 100% SOC when it was removed from my previous house and now stored in my new house awaiting installation, how long do you think it will last disconnected? In the document you referenced, it mentions a 12-month shelf life when starting with 25% SOC (SOE?).

Also, the document says the PW2 should be stored flat on it's back (face up). I didn't know this, and my PW2 has been sitting on it's side for the last 18 months. Is that seriously detrimental?

And if it's bricked (won't know until it's installed).. what does one do with a bricked PW2? It's the signed, founders red edition, too. It took quite an effort to move it into the basement.. I can't imagine how I'll move it back up the stairs if I have to sell, transport, or dispose of it.

Is there any way to trickle charge it with 120v until it's installed?

I had purchased a battery from someone that had it sitting for 18 months, it was completely bricked and no recoverable. We added it to our current setup and Tesla tried to get it online to “jump start” it as the tech said. They were ultimately able to read data from the battery, but it was completely unrocoverable and was not covered by the warranty.

I was able to get a good deal from the seller as I had mentioned that the battery may be bricked and was able to work a good deal.

In short, there is risk, I can’t say how much risk as I have a sample of one, but I did encounter a bricked and unrecoverable Powerwall 2.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience. That sucks, but thank you for sharing the story with others, so we don't make the same mistake.

In the end, what happened with the bricked Powewall you had purchased?

Reactions: buckets0fun
At work we have some data loggers that operate on lithium batteries. They are charged from alkaline batteries. Sometimes the alkaline will burn all the way down so it can not chare the lithium. Then the lithium get discharged below it's happy range. The charge protection circuit sees too low of a voltage on the lithium and prevents the lithium from being charged (bricked). When that happens we boot strap it by briefly connecting a battery parallel to the lithium. Just long enough for the charge circuit to start. I would think that same method would work on a powerwall that is bricked.

#323!!! You still work for them or did they go out of business?:D

1.)Assuming my PW2 was at or near 100% SOC when it was removed from my previous house and now stored in my new house awaiting installation, how long do you think it will last disconnected?
2.)Also, the document says the PW2 should be stored flat on it's back (face up). I didn't know this, and my PW2 has been sitting on it's side for the last 18 months. Is that seriously detrimental?
3.) And if it's bricked (won't know until it's installed).. what does one do with a bricked PW2?
4.) Is there any way to trickle charge it with 120v until it's installed?
Trying to answer all the questions:
  1. If they were indeed at high SOC, you do indeed have more time. Make sure the On/Off switch stays off. One thing you can do to check, is to attach a 4 wire cable between the gateway and the Powerwall both have a 4 pin connector. Then connect 12V to the two pin Jump port in the gateway. This should allow the gateway to boot and talk to the Powerwall. Then you can log into the WiFi access point that the gateway broadcasts to look at the SOC. Might have to toggle the On/Off switch to wake up the Powerwall.
  2. Shipping on its back is important, static standing on its feet is ok.
  3. If you Bricked Powerwall, best is to call Tesla and ask about recycling
  4. No, but you can wire it up and charge it. Wire from a 30A breaker to the gateway, then wire from the Gateway to the Powerwall. If doing 2 Powerwalls use a 60A breaker. 3, use a 90A, etc. 30A per Powerwall). Log into your app and set the backup reserve to 100%. If it was previously installed with solar, you might have to login to the installer wizard or have Tesla delete the solar config otherwise it won't charge from the grid. As an alternative, if you are electrically savvy, you could fake solar production/exporting energy by putting the CTs backwards so it thinks its charging from solar.
At work we have some data loggers that operate on lithium batteries. They are charged from alkaline batteries. Sometimes the alkaline will burn all the way down so it can not chare the lithium. Then the lithium get discharged below it's happy range. The charge protection circuit sees too low of a voltage on the lithium and prevents the lithium from being charged (bricked). When that happens we boot strap it by briefly connecting a battery parallel to the lithium. Just long enough for the charge circuit to start. I would think that same method would work on a powerwall that is bricked.
This is not the case for Powerwall. Powerwall doesn't have any sacrificial battery. It pulls control power(12V) from a DC-DC off the main Lithium battery. Further, there is no way to directly connect to the pack. The Powerwall terminals are AC. There is a built in DC-AC inverter. The only way to get to the pack is to open the sealed enclosure which involves draining the coolant. This should only be done at Tesla as it is dangerous and near impossible to get back together correctly. And most likely, it is too late anyway.

#323!!! You still work for them or did they go out of business?:D
Tesla Energy is very much in business, but the product innovation slowed. Tesla is mostly focussed on manufacturing innovations now. So I started SPAN allowing homeowners to not just generate and store energy, but also be able to monitor and control energy.

Last edited:

Wow, did not know this, great information.