Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

*Brand New* Powerwall 2 Founder Series and Gateway 2 and Accessories For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Energy is very much in business, but the product innovation slowed. Tesla is mostly focussed on manufacturing innovations now. So I started SPAN allowing homeowners to not just generate and store energy, but also be able to monitor and control energy.

Wow, SPAN looks like an incredible product. If I could bother you for a few moments, sorry to hijack this post if PM's would be better, feel free to shoot me one.

We have a 10kW PV system in Memphis, TN. Our utility provider, MLGW, does not use bidirectional meters for grid-tied PV systems. We sell everything we produce on an outgoing meter and we purchase everything we use on the same incoming meter we've always had.

When we had the PV system installed, we chose a Solar Edge inverter that could have a battery backup installed at some point, I think its called Store Edge. Our installer said because there is no bidirectional meter, a critical loads panel would have to be installed. At that time, 2017, we decided to wait on the battery and critical loads panel. I wonder if replacing our panel with a SPAN panel could eliminate the need for a critical loads panel if we opted for one with an auto-disconnect feature built in.

Thank you for your time.

@chadconway Wow this is the a great thread. Now for the regrets. I transported the battery on its side :( the guy transported didnt know what he was doing, it scratched the cover but all else looks intact. It has been sitting 2 months now, and power switch was left on by mistake too. It doesnt light up when i tried to put to on mode it is also just leaning against the wall right now. Guys i have questions like

1) If i have the GW can i use your method to test its not bricked yet? just doing it as this angle will it have any issues? Is this 12V DC? any online adapater that i can use for this?
  1. If they were indeed at high SOC, you do indeed have more time. Make sure the On/Off switch stays off. One thing you can do to check, is to attach a 4 wire cable between the gateway and the Powerwall both have a 4 pin connector. Then connect 12V to the two pin Jump port in the gateway. This should allow the gateway to boot and talk to the Powerwall. Then you can log into the WiFi access point that the gateway broadcasts to look at the SOC. Might have to toggle the On/Off switch to wake up the Powerwall.
2) so to charge it I need to get electrician in I guess? or anyway to keep a slight charge on to not let it die? till the fitters get here in 2 months ( Yes UK gone mental with SOLAR everyone is going after it and no installers :((
IMG-20220310-WA0011.jpeg

Last edited:
There is some Seriously good info in here, that I would LOVE to live in the "Tesla Energy" subforum as there is some amazing technical information in this thread that may be lost in a for sale thread.

I would suggest that perhaps it might be appropriate to at a minimum ask the mod for this subforum to see if we could copy some of these responses into another thread in the tesla energy subforum, especially if @chadconway was willing to continue the conversation in the tesla energy subforum.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Thread bump. I posted previously about my Founder's PW2 that had been sitting for 20 months in my basement waiting for my solar to be installed along with a new Powerwall+.

That day has finally arrived, and they just turned on and provisioned my Founder's powerwall. I was worried that the PW battery would be too low or dead from sitting unused and uncharged for so long.

The remaining charge on the Founder's Powerwall: 94%!

Nobody here could believe it. The lead electrician was sure they'd have to call a service team out to jump-start it, but it doesn't need it at all.

Here's a work-in-progress photo:

1653058197006.png

I wish Tesla sold the Powerwalls either directly or thru a distributer. I self installed mine and for me it was fairly easy. I did hire an electrician for the planning and install but we worked side by side shoulder to shoulder. I had the Powerwall mounted and the main breaker panel cleaned out with all wires labeled when he showed up. In 8 hours we installed the main panel, gateway 1, solar production meter, solar production subpanel and Powerwall. Took a little time to commission it with Tesla. I have added 3 more Powerwalls to the system for a total of 4. BTW the Gateway 1 manual is ok the Gateway 2 excellent.

So you called Tesla and asked them to add your power wall to your account? Other than the delay that you get with Tesla ALWAYS they just did your bidding, didn't require a payment or any nonsense?
My install was a replacement upgrade to a grid tie battery back Outback system. I already had the net metering agreement with the utility which is the usual hold up. I just had to work with Tesla and my electrician who Tesla considers a third party installer. It all worked out and the system works great.

So No One has installed a PowerWell themselves w/o Tesla telling them to **** off?

Ive installed my own and it’s Actually it’s pretty straight forward and you don’t even need to call Tesla in order to commission it. I’ve also helped several local people commission theirs and set them up after they were installed by their electrician to plans.

Reactions: cr0ntab
Ive installed my own and it’s Actually it’s pretty straight forward and you don’t even need to call Tesla in order to commission it. I’ve also helped several local people commission theirs and set them up after they were installed by their electrician to plans.
To this point the only "complicated" part is if you need to remove your meter/have the utility power shut down in order to install the Gateway. Everything else is easy if you have done any sort of residential electrical work.

I'm not one willing to remove a 200AMP service live.

Do you need to call Tesla in order to get it to show up in the App? Do they help you if you bought the unit used on Craigslist or do they require an authorized installer communicate with them to get it working as it should? Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.