Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new system and baffled with energy usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn’t a power wall have 13.5 kWh each? If you have 4 that should be 54kwh. How are you empty after discharging only 18kwh?

I don’t necessarily trust the usage in the Tesla app because there are several bugs. At least for my time zone anything after 9pm counts as usage for the next day it said I used 40kwh at 20:01 am but really it was from charging my car.
There was also a bug in how the Neurio reads the energy usage. It was saying my home energy usage was double what it was when I was generating solar. I wonder if you could be having the same issue and or causing your power walls to act funny? Does your power company usage prior to solar show the same thing?

Here is a normal one and one with the usage anomaly. Small spikes are AC big spikes are car charging.

Attachments

• 7B4C3689-7667-4AC2-A9EF-BBA85B3978A2.jpeg
    7B4C3689-7667-4AC2-A9EF-BBA85B3978A2.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 64
  • FE78F9C6-B7DE-4DE1-8A55-94888FAD3383.jpeg
    FE78F9C6-B7DE-4DE1-8A55-94888FAD3383.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 41
Sure, here are some samples. Sunday I was out of town and ac was @ 78 or so. I also think I discharge 4 powerwalls to 30% in a very short time (4 hours or so). Seems very quick to me. This is week 1 so I am playing with it to try and understand
I am in a very similar situation. I also live in Texas (Houston area) and had our panels installed last week (12.24kW system / 3 PWs). Our house as 2 AC units, a pool pump, 3 full-sized refrigerators (plus 2 mini-fridges in the outdoor living), and a Model X.

Our daily power usage ranges from 112 kWh to 155 kWh.

The difference is that our power usage fluctuates from about 1.5kw (without ACs and pumps running) up to about 10kw (with both ACs and pumps running) and peaks at about 16kW when I am charging my car. Between 3pm and 7pm it hardly ever dips below 6kW because at least one of our AC units are running with it being the heat of the day and the kids home from school.

Have you had your ACs services lately? I just had mine serviced last week and one of the units was low on freon. The AC guy said that would definitely make the AC unit run more than it should. That could help a bit if that is the case with you.

I also installed a Sense energy monitor into our breaker box a few days ago and added a dedicated circuit on both of my AC units just to see how much those are pulling right away. It looks like those two units pull about 60kWh total per day for me right now according to Sense.

New update.....Talked to Tesla Energy support. They stated that it seemed that only 2 of the power walls were charging and discharging. Unsure as to why. They were going to "push" a new firmware to the units to see if that solved the problem. They can see all 4 but see only 2 receiving charge and discharging. I had not noticed this. I do see today that the walls received 42.8 KWh from solar while all other days it was half that so maybe they solved part of the mystery. Now to check on the high usage for the house (called AC techs for maintenance checkup). More to come. Thanks for the help.