TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Brand new Tesla has a weird sound (video included)!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by IMBigg, Mar 9, 2014.

1. IMBigg

IMBigg Member

#1 IMBigg, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
    Got my car about two days ago. Just today I noticed a weird sound coming from the front of the car while backing up. You can hear it in the video below. It's kind of a grinding vibrating sound. Has anyone had this experience? If so, what was the cause? Thanks.

[video]http://s567.photobucket.com/user/flipangle_photos/media/WeirdNoise.mp4.html[/video]

2. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I believe that's the air suspension compressor, probably adding air because of settling while the car was parked. Alternately, it could be the power steering or brake system compressor. They're all located under the frunk. Nothing to be concerned about.

3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Confirming Todd's response ... sounds like the air suspension compressor ... normal. Unless you notice your car settling wrong (as in front end low, rear high, etc).

4. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Ha, my car makes that sound everytime I start it up in the morning. I call it the fridge sound. And fyi my car does not have air suspension.

5. Wattson

Wattson Member

#5 Wattson, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    I also do not have the air suspension and my car makes the exact same noise when it switches from "Car off" to ready to drive. I believe it is the brake compressor, correction: vacuum pump.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Actually, I believe it is a vacuum pump.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

I hope you will all take my word on this, however, that IS the Vacuum pump for the brake booster (What gives your vehicle powered brakes).

If you want to confirm. With the car in park. Just press the brake pedal in rapid succession 10 or so times, and the vacuum pump kicks in, you will hear the sound. ICE vehicles do not usually use a Vacuum pump, as they use the natural vacuum of the internal combustion engine to power the brake booster. EV's do not have that, thus, need a special vacuum pump for the booster. This is not the Air Shocks. If it is the compressor for the air shocks, then they would be defective and leaking, and once parked, the car would lower to it's lowest possible height on the air shock pouch that was damaged.
    The vacuum pump usually cannot be heard while driving due to the road noise covering up the sound. At extremely low speeds or at a stand still, it can be heard, and especially when in a garage where the noise can echo.
    Now, just imagine all the noises a ICE car makes if it didn't have the engine to mask the sounds ;)

Cheers!

8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

My Prius made this same noise and it did not have air suspension.

9. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Cool, learned my new thing for the day. I'd always assumed it was the air suspension, but this makes much more sense. Especially since changing my air suspension setting never made a noise remotely like this.

10. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

That is the same exact noise my Smart ED makes!

its the abs, or that vacuum pump. My dads Volt makes a noise as well.

11. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Also, as a new MS owner, you will hear all kinds of sounds you've never heard from another car.

You may even be in the garage and hear clicks and fan noises .... all perfectly normal :smile:

12. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

The Prius uses an insulated tank to retain some warmed coolant for the ICE. When you press on the brake pedal before powering up it injects some of that coolant back into the system to get the engine ready.

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yes, it's the brake vacuum pump; Tesla Service confirmed this as well. I do get surprised looks from folks sometimes in parking lots when they hear the groaning sound.

I've never heard any LEAF make that sound though.

14. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

The leaf's pump most likely is not as big. The leaf doesn't have the MASSIVE calipers and disks the Model S uses ;)

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

That was true until Toyota ditched the coolant thermos w/Gen 3 (2010+ model year).

Gen 2 (04-09) Priuses have at least two distinct noises: the coolant heat storage (CHS) pump noise and some brake accumulator pump noise. The latter you can hear when braking and can repro if you pump the brakes repeatedly. It should be repro even at a standstill (while pumping brakes) and I believe even w/the car turned off. Gen 3 Prius still has the latter sound.

(There are others such as the evap emissions check that is a light whirring/fan-like sound about 5 hours after shutdown.)

16. StevePro

StevePro Member

Sounds like the engine starting up. Clearly, there's way an electric car could be so great without an internal combustion engine. ;-)

17. IMBigg

IMBigg Member

Thanks, everyone! Your responses have been very reassuring!

18. rainman50

rainman50 Member

How long and when do they run, are the vacuum pumps on, about 4 seconds as in the video or intermittently on?

19. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

They run intermittently As Needed. So they can go a long time without running if you are not pressing the brake. Only when the vacuum level drops below a certain point will it kick in.

20. donahuerw

donahuerw Member

I have the same problem but with a squeak at the end. I think I am going to call the service center to have them check out the squeak part. I feel like the Vacuum pump for the brake booster is normal but the loud squeak at the end shouldn't be there? Any one else have this problem?