Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New X - Charge Port Door Won't Open With Wand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
Ours won't open using the charging cable at all. It opens fine with a manual touch or from the screen though. Manually opening the door would be OK for charging, but having to climb into the car to unlock the port when done charging is a pain. Is this an easy fix?

We had the same issue on delivery day.
They sent a ranger and replaced it in our driveway within one hour!

Sounds like it should be a quick fix anyway, but rangers apparently won't drive 100 miles to our house to fix it. I'll get it fixed when we take the X in to get a couple of paint nicks fixed. Looks like the rear bumper took a few rocks during the trip between the factory and the service center for delivery.

I’m awaiting delivery of my Model X and I didn’t even know the charge port door would open on it’s own! In case anyone else reading this is like me, here’s a demo of 5 ways to open the charge port (on a Model 3 but I guess it’s the same on MX?)

I was told that the receiver is one of the etched lines in the rear window. One of the factory people showed me which one on my S. Probably different on the 3, and probably doesn't matter anyway. It would make more sense to have it in the window than somewhere on the edge of the "rear hatch", it seems to me. And, hey, the window is on the rear hatch, isn't it?

Ours won't open using the charging cable at all. It opens fine with a manual touch or from the screen though. Manually opening the door would be OK for charging, but having to climb into the car to unlock the port when done charging is a pain. Is this an easy fix?

You shouldn't have to climb into the car. Since the car unlocks when you approach, you can push the charging port door to open.

make sure you hold it up above the port. I am told that the receiver is somewhere along the edge the rear hatch. it works for us.

Yep. Sensor is near the C pillar, so point up there when pressing the button.

My issue was that I didn't realize the car had to be unlocked for it to work from the charging cable.

Same here. Any time we pressed the button on the charging handle, the charge port doors on both of our S would open. So we thought the X was broken when we went out in the garage and that didn't work.

I called Tesla and told them it was broken...but they said it's by design. The X charge port door is different than the one on the S. The X has to be unlocked for the charge port door to open in response to the handle.