Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Y Charging and BMS errors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on the Tesla forum but not getting any info so I am posting the issue and history here.

I opened my door to put something in the car and a whole bunch of red errors popped up on the screen and then went away before I could read. I checked the cars message log and this is what I seen.

-CP_a010 Charging equipment communication error Try again or try different equipment

-CP_a006 Unable to charge service is required

-CP_a044 Unable to charge service is required

-BMS_a063 Unable to charge service is required

-BMS_a063 Unable to charge service is required

-CP_a006 Unable to charge service is required

-CP_a044 Unable to charge service is required

-CP_ a046 Charging equipment communication lost check power source and charging equipment

Car has just over 100 miles on it, connected to a Tesla gen 2 wall charger that we have used for our M3 the past 2 years with never an issue. The car recently finished charging, it was at 91% (was set for 90%). As it does when you sit with a charger connected it was drawing from the wall charger no issue like normal. I unplugged the car and took it out seemed ok ran the battery down to 89% came home and plugged in the charger it charged no issue to 90%. So as of now it drives and seems to charge no issue. But concerned as will be taking a long trip and don’t want to get stuck out of town. Not that it should matter but this is only the 3rd time we have charged the car. What concerns me the most is the "service is required".

Since I have a ranger visit for a few minor issues from pickup this Tuesday I just added to the message part about these errors. I asked if they could check the car remote to see if there is something that needs attention or was this just a freak thing. It is the weekend, so I don’t expect a quick reply.

I Google searched the errors and came up with no matches so wanted to post to see if anyone else has seen or had anything like this.

The issue has never happen while charging the car always charges complete no errors only after.

Next day I did the same thing opened the car to put some items in the car and after a few min same bunch of errors popped up but today a new one was at the end.

cp_a058 unable to charge on AC, try DC or supercharger.

Car was plugged in and fully charged, I was just putting in some stuff so you know when the car starts to pull off the charger when you are plugged in and the errors.

Went out for a few came back and decided to top off with my gen 1 UMC and just like it has done with the wall charger it charges no issue to 90%.

Added the new details to the message in the mobile app still have not heard back.

So at this point I have the gen 2 wall charger on the old M3 and the UMC on the MY to see if I still get the error. Only thing is I don't get any errors while charging only after charging and the car has sat for several hours.

I get the feeling there is some issue lurking here hope they can diag remote and get it fixed when the ranger comes out on Tue for the other items.

Ranger came Next day checked everything did not find any issues just said to keep an eye on it.

Tonight same issue car was sleeping, opened door, car wakes up, and as soon as it goes to pull from the charger all the errors pop up. Then if I leave it for a few min errors go away and it works no issue.

This so far only happens when the wakes up from sleeping and then goes to draw from the charger. The car always charges no issue when it actually is charging.

The ranger said the errors did not point him in any direction they were not conclusive of any issue. He said it could even be some odd bug between the MY and the gen 2 wall charger. Something that only happens in this exact scenario.

I am going to swap the M3 charger to the MY and vice versa for a few days and see what happens.

After the ranger left I let the cars fall asleep with the wall charger on the Y where the ranger left it and sure enough as soon as the car woke up all same errors popped up.

Last eve I swapped the chargers around so the Gen 1 UMC is on the Y at 40amps and the Gen 2 wall is on the 3 at 48amps.

Using TeslaFi I let the cars fall asleep a few time and did my same routine open the passengers door and just wait for the car to start to draw off the charger. No issue was noted on either car. I think I will do this for a few days.

Interesting thought I had while sleeping myself. Since I use TeslaFi I have always noted that when I charge with the wall charger it always says "fast_charger_type" = "ACSingleWireCAN" and when I charge with any of my other chargers all UMC's the standard gen 2 at 32amps and the gen 1 at 40amps they say "fast_charger_type" = "Blank" so the entry is empty blank.

So since the wall charger has worked for 2 years on the 3 and still does today I don't think there is an issue with the charger or I would get the same errors on the 3.

Further since I only at least up to this point get the errors on the Y when using a charger that used "fast_charger_type" = "ACSingleWireCAN" I at this point think the Y has an issue only with a charger that uses this protocol.

So this could be an issue with the Y hardware or an bug between the Y and the Gen 2 wall charger.

Since the Y is new and the Gen 2 wall charger was discontinued before the Y came out I wonder how many Y owners are actually using gen 2 wall chargers. Most all of what I see for sale even on ebay is gen 3 so I may be in the minority of gen 2 wall with Y users. So could be some bug between the Y and the gen 2 wall charger.

What is odd is all those error codes several diff ones and not a one points to something.

Seems to always start with a communication error with the charging equip. But since the charger has worked and still does work no issue on the 3 this would indicate no issue with the wall charger.

My biggest concern is clearly several of the errors say "Service is Required" so makes me think serious issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20201117_200918.jpg
    IMG_20201117_200918.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_20201113_221007.jpg
    IMG_20201113_221007.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20201113_221017.jpg
    IMG_20201113_221017.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 201
Congrats on your new Model Y!

Are you still having trouble using the MC only? Your Wall Connector might need a setting changed so it can fully support the Model Y.

You can also try these steps:

Try unplugging the charging connector, power off your Wall Connector, wait 20 seconds, then power it back on.

In your Model Y, put your foot on the brake and press and hold the two center scroll wheel buttons on the left and right side of the steering wheel for 10 seconds. Then, wait for the restart to complete. Try charging again at a lower amperage (perhaps 5 A lower than the maximum supported by your Wall Connector).

This might help you too:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439

If you change a setting, be sure it's fully supported by the circuit wiring and breaker (e.g. if the circuit breaker is 50 A, charge at a maximum of 40 A, or 50 * 0.8, which follows the 80% rule).

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
Ihave a kinda similar issue with my brand new Model Y (VIN 43xxx). Same error messages about being Unable to Charge and to try Supercharging. However this is where it’s weird.

Nissan Leaf L1 charger with J1772 adapter - works fine on my Model 3, errors after 15-20 min on Y - tried two different adapters too with same result
Tesla Mobile Connector - works fine on both Model 3 and Y
Supercharging (tried both a V2 and V3) - works fine on Y

5AEAC2AB-8F5A-4A19-917C-CD53608E34D3.jpeg 8AC8D622-5E1B-4694-9B18-3D7A91070A29.jpeg

Ihave a kinda similar issue with my brand new Model Y (VIN 43xxx). Same error messages about being Unable to Charge and to try Supercharging. However this is where it’s weird.

Nissan Leaf L1 charger with J1772 adapter - works fine on my Model 3, errors after 15-20 min on Y - tried two different adapters too with same result

View attachment 609798 View attachment 609799

This could be a problem with the software on your Model Y. You should report the behavior using the Tesla app, and mention that the J1772 charger works fine on your Model 3. Tesla can check your cars' logs.

This may seem like an unlikely source of your issues but check the tightness of the connection of the + and - cables to the 12V battery. If possible use a voltmeter to get a voltage reading of the 12V battery when the negative battery cable is disconnected from the Model Y. 12V battery issues can unleash all sorts or weird problems in an EV.

Thanks all for your post I have an update.

jcanoe ranger had to power car down to check the HV connections so he disconnected the 12v then when he reconnected he tested it and put the connectors back on the 12v.

So I have been doing some testing.

First this is the only way I have found to reproduce the issue virtually 100% of the time. Let the car fall asleep, open passenger door, car starts to wake up, just as soon as the car goes to draw current from the wall the errors pop up always the same it seems.

Here are the chargers I have.

1. Tesla Gen 2 wall charger on a 60 amp dedicated circuit. This has been verified all settings are correct all connections are tight and has been working on the M3 for 2 years no issue. Further it still does work on the M3 with no issues. Only when I use this charger do I get the errors on the MY.

2. Tesla UMC that came with the MY with the NEMA 14-50 adaptor plugged into a seperate NEMA 14-50 plug on a 50 amp dedicated circuit. So far using this UMC I have never got any charging errors.

3. Tesla Gen 1 UMC (40 amp model) purchased a while back new with the NEMA 14-50 adaptor plugged into a seperate NEMA 14-50 plug on a 50 amp dedicated circuit. So far using this UMC I have never got any charging errors.

In summary"

All chargers work with no errors on the M3 at all ever.

All UMC chargers work on the MY without any errors.

Only the Tesla gen 2 wall charger has the errors and only on the MY.

Remember that in TeslaFi only the wall charger shows up as "fast_charger_type" = "ACSingleWireCAN" all others show up as "fast_charger_type" = "Blank" so the entry is empty blank.

Now I see reedog117 post so based on that and my testing I am starting to think there is some kind of bug with the model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

View attachment 609798 View attachment 609799

Your issue is very interesting since you are having a very similar issue with one of the same errors that I have. Also you have a charger that works no issue on your M3 but gives error on the MY. But I can complete my charge where you cannot.

Seems we both start out with the communication error but where yours stops there mien goes farther into service is required and BMS errors. This is what concerns me BMS and service is required not maybe but clear that service is required. Issue is Tesla has no idea at this point what is causing the errors and the ranger says they don't really tell him anything helpful.

What software do you you have I have
2020.44.10.1 955dc1d on the M3
and
2020.44.10.1 955dc1d on the MY
So for me both have the same version only diff is the hardware (the car).

I don't have any experience with the Gen2 Wall Connector. My Long Range Dual Motor Model Y has software release 2020.44.10.1

Recently I have been attempting to use some public Level 2 charging stations (Chargepoint equipment, Semaconnect Network). The issue I have been having is about half of the charging stations enable me to charge my Model Y while the identical station in the next space either never starts charging (displays a message that the station is waiting for the vehicle) or will start charging and then indicates that charging has been completed when only ~3 minutes have elapsed. It is probably unrelated to your Gen2 Wall Connector issue but thought I would note this here.

I don't have any experience with the Gen2 Wall Connector. My Long Range Dual Motor Model Y has software release 2020.44.10.1

Recently I have been attempting to use some public Level 2 charging stations (Chargepoint equipment, Semaconnect Network). The issue I have been having is about half of the charging stations enable me to charge my Model Y while the identical station in the next space either never starts charging (displays a message that the station is waiting for the vehicle) or will start charging and then indicates that charging has been completed when only ~3 minutes have elapsed. It is probably unrelated to your Gen2 Wall Connector issue but thought I would note this here.

I have only had the Y for less than 2 weeks so I haven't had much chance to use any public stations. In the M3 that I have had over 2 years I have changed in many places on many networks never an issue. I will give some public stations a try ones that I know I had no issues in the past with the M3.

Your issue seems to be more centered around communication issues if the charger is saying waiting for vehicle and also you seem to have it before and during charging. But I guess mine is at the start too since it only happens when the car wakes up and begins to draw current. But so far I can charge start to finish but again just got the car so not a lot of data yet.

Our issue could somehow be related just manifesting differently since we have different charging equipment. The one thing we have in common is the Tesla UMC never causes an issue.

So switched back to the gen 2 wall charger and errors already but now it did it on its own.

According to TeslaFi the car was sleeping it woke up on its own and went to draw current and I seen the errors logged latter when I came back to the car.

My concern is the errors clearly say service is required but Tesla has no idea.

IMG_20201120_205218.jpg

Truly fishing now for a possible cause but there is a chassis ground that has been known to corrode. Since the vehicle is new it could be that the ground strap is not securely fastened. This would be easy for a Tesla service technician to check.

Truly fishing now for a possible cause but there is a chassis ground that has been known to corrode. Since the vehicle is new it could be that the ground strap is not securely fastened. This would be easy for a Tesla service technician to check.

Where is this located do you know? I could check it.

The ranger pulled apart the inside of the charge port and checked all the connections but none looked like a ground.

Where is this located do you know? I could check it.

The ranger pulled apart the inside of the charge port and checked all the connections but none looked like a ground.
Based on where the ground lug is located on the Model 3, I believe that the chassis ground lug on the Model Y could also be located on the passenger side of the frame underneath the front storage bin (the storage bin would have to be removed.)

I just received similar errors on my 2020 MY this morning. It has ~3100 miles on it.
I charge at home on a NEMA 14-50 on a 60 amp dedicated circuit and just experienced this for the first time last night.

I'm on 2020.44.10.1 955dc1d.

Charging started at 2:17am with battery at 147mi.
Charging interrupted at 4:06am with battery at 205mi.

1. 4:06am BMS_a063 Unable to charge, disconnect and retry
2. 4:06am CP_a044 Unable to charge, service is required
3. 4:06am BMS_a174 Unable to charge, disconnect and retry

I have a mobile technician coming by mid next week and will update this thread if I find anything, or if I'm able to repro the issue.

I just received similar errors on my 2020 MY this morning. It has ~3100 miles on it.
I charge at home on a NEMA 14-50 on a 60 amp dedicated circuit and just experienced this for the first time last night.

I'm on 2020.44.10.1 955dc1d.

Charging started at 2:17am with battery at 147mi.
Charging interrupted at 4:06am with battery at 205mi.

1. 4:06am BMS_a063 Unable to charge, disconnect and retry
2. 4:06am CP_a044 Unable to charge, service is required
3. 4:06am BMS_a174 Unable to charge, disconnect and retry

I have a mobile technician coming by mid next week and will update this thread if I find anything, or if I'm able to repro the issue.

You have the exact same errors I have mostly, I don't think I ever had the 174 but this is starting to look like a bug.

pureflamez what charger are you using are you using?

I’m using the gen 2 wall charger that came with the car. No recent changes in charging habits whatsoever, aside from starting to charge it up to 80% instead of the usual 90%.

So far I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue. The car charges outside, and it’s been dry with temperatures in the upper 50s overnight. So I’m hoping this is just a bug.

I’m using the gen 2 wall charger that came with the car. No recent changes in charging habits whatsoever, aside from starting to charge it up to 80% instead of the usual 90%.

So far I haven’t been able to reproduce the issue. The car charges outside, and it’s been dry with temperatures in the upper 50s overnight. So I’m hoping this is just a bug.

For me I only get the errors on the Gen 2 wall charger, the gen 2 UMC was always good. But I have noticed in the past few days the errors are less frequent. At first all I had to do was open the door and wait for the charger to start to draw current and they would pop up no issue. Now it is not happening every time like it was in the past. I took a look at that ground but it was snug.

OK so no errors Sat, Sun, or today so far.

But post on the Tesla forums about similar issue so something software related is lurking I suspect.

As for me I am still keeping an eye on it and making notes to see what happens.

But if several ppl are having issues maybe at least I hope Tesla sees the error logs and it looking into it.

IMG_20201126_082849.jpg
IMG_20201126_082900.jpg
Looks like the issue has awoke with a new twist.

Unlike in the past I woke up to change the charge limit from 90 to 100 for a trip. Car woke up on the app no issue, set the limit to 100, app starts reporting charging errors, issues charging, charging stopped. So I use the app and select start charging and it does and proceeds to charge to 100 without any more errors.

Snap shots of the errors attached.

Problem is still here and I now see other post both 3 and Y on the Tesla forums so something is an issue now with both cars and different chargers.

I forget now; have you tried logging out of your Tesla account on the phone, logging back into the account.

If you delete the Tesla app from the phone, then reinstall the app I believe you would need to use one of the key cards that you received when the Tesla was delivered to re-authenticate your phone.