Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Y! Must have accessories ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

It’s my first post and i’m cheesing harder than a kid in a candy store. I know this has probably been discussed before but im just dipping my toes in the proverbial forum water, so to speak.

I’ve seen some discussions on floor mats on the forum, but a lot of people mention random Amazon no name brands that are super cheap. I was initially going to buy the stock all weather mats from Tesla. But has anyone had any luck with the WeatherTech models? They’re slightly cheaper (I think around $180 versus over 200 for the Tesla ones).

also, any other must haves for the Y?

thanks all and super happy to be here. Haven’t even gotten the car yet. Im in New York and they said mid to end September. I ordered it like a month ago!

Welcome to the TMC Model Y forum. You have plenty of time to research accessories for the Model Y.

Figure out where, how you will charge the Tesla Model Y.

You won't need to purchase carpeted floor mats as these come with the Model Y. The floor liners are popular for winter and for general ease of cleanup.

What part of NYS?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the TMC Model Y forum. You have plenty of time to research accessories for the Model Y.

Figure out where, how you will charge the Tesla Model Y.

You won't need to purchase carpeted floor mats as these come with the Model Y. The floor liners are popular for winter and for general ease of cleanup.

What part of NYS?
Hey J. Thanks for the reply. I’m just outside of NYC. I’m not sure if I wrote it in the post; I was referring to the choices of those “all season” mats people speak about…. Whether it be the ones from Tesla or weathertech which is a reputable company. With two little monsters to make messes that’s the first thing on my mind! Lol.

and since you mention it I know there are so many options to charge. I was gonna go with the charger from Tesla although my buddy who has an X said a 240v outlet also works just fine. Hoping to find everyone’s opinion.

Upvote 0
Hey J. Thanks for the reply. I’m just outside of NYC. I’m not sure if I wrote it in the post; I was referring to the choices of those “all season” mats people speak about…. Whether it be the ones from Tesla or weathertech which is a reputable company. With two little monsters to make messes that’s the first thing on my mind! Lol.

and since you mention it I know there are so many options to charge. I was gonna go with the charger from Tesla although my buddy who has an X said a 240v outlet also works just fine. Hoping to find everyone’s opinion.
There are many choices for floor liners for the 5 seat model Y, not sure if there are any floor liners yet for the 3rd row in the 7 seat Model Y. Which Model Y configuration have your ordered? Long Range Model Y or Performance Model Y. What wheel size did you specify?

The Tesla floor liners are made by WeatherTech. This has been confirmed as the WeatherTech name is molded into the underside of the liner. Some Tesla owners object to the Weathertech logo on the WeatherTech floor liners. You can ignore the logo, remove it or buy a different floor liner. I purchased Tesmanian floor liners, some other Tesmanian accessories for my Model Y.

Upvote 0
There are many choices for floor liners for the 5 seat model Y, not sure if there are any floor liners yet for the 3rd row in the 7 seat Model Y. Which Model Y configuration have your ordered? Long Range Model Y or Performance Model Y. What wheel size did you specify?

The Tesla floor liners are made by WeatherTech. This has been confirmed as the WeatherTech name is molded into the underside of the liner. Some Tesla owners object to the Weathertech logo on the WeatherTech floor liners. You can ignore the logo, remove it or buy a different floor liner. I purchased Tesmanian floor liners, some other Tesmanian accessories for my Model Y.
My apologies ! I have ordered the 5 seat, long range model y (wife would kill me if I got the performance). I upgraded to the 20” wheels - another forum post broke it down nicely and I went with the bigger wheels.

by the way that’s awesome to know. I didn’t know the Tesla floor liners are actually made by weathertech. That’s awesome. The OEM ones from other car brands tend to stink. I’ll also have to check out Tesmanian!

Only bummer of this whole thing was I missed out on a bigger rebate incentive - I would have had to have taken delivery by the end of June. But I’m still super stoked about the car!

Upvote 0
The 3D Maxpider (that's the way it is spelled) are very popular. Some don't like the logo on the 3D floor liners. LDCRS came out with floor liners with the identical look to the 3D floor liners but without the logo. To each his own.

Don't even begin to research mud flaps for the Model Y. That rabbit hole is so deep you may never get out.

Upvote 0
The 3D Maxpider (that's the way it is spelled) are very popular. Some don't like the logo on the 3D floor liners. LDCRS came out with floor liners with the identical look to the 3D floor liners but without the logo. To each his own.

Don't even begin to research mud flaps for the Model Y. That rabbit hole is so deep you may never get out.
Do I dare 😂. By the way. Does the Y have capability to accept one of those privacy screens when you open the hatch?

Upvote 0
Do I dare 😂. By the way. Does the Y have capability to accept one of those privacy screens when you open the hatch?
There are now a number of retractable cargo covers available for the Model Y. See RPM Tesla, BASENOR (on Amazon.) Tesmanian now sells a retractable cargo cover (the Tesmanian mounting brackets appear to be a different design from the other retractable covers.) Also on eBay. I recently installed the BASENOR cargo cover in my Model Y.

If you want a hard package shelf then this would meet your needs: TESLASTUFF

Upvote 0
Must have:

Protection for the area of the rear doors just in front of the wheels. This is not just an extreme weather thing. This area gets pounded by road debris because of the shape of the body. Every model Y owner would benefit from some protection here.

You have two choices: (1) get mud flaps and rear Paint Protective Film from Tesla and be done with it or (2) read through the posts on 3rd party flaps and PPF choose one to your liking.

BTW, Tesla is installing the PPF for some people who live further north. Not sure if NYS makes the cut, but check.

I went with option 1. Easy install. Really glad I did it, I can see why it’s important every time I wash the car.

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
Upvote 0
Must have:

Protection for the area of the rear doors just in front of the wheels. This is not just an extreme weather thing. This area gets pounded by road debris because of the shape of the body. Every model Y owner would benefit from some protection here.

You have two choices: (1) get mud flaps and rear Paint Protective Film from Tesla and be done with it or (2) read through the posts on 3rd party flaps and PPF choose one to your liking.

BTW, Tesla is installing the PPF for some people who live further north. Not sure if NYS makes the cut, but check.

I went with option 1. Easy install. Really glad I did it, I can see why it’s important every time I wash the car.

If only they are in stock!

Upvote 0
Is this the one Tesla sells on its website? Not to mention a little bummed I have to come out of pocket another couple hundred for the ability to open my garage door. On a near 70k car
I just bought the cheap one from Amazon and it works great.

Also, I thought the same thing about the garage door opener but I used double sided tape to attach my garage door remote to the back of the bottom of the control screen. It's hidden and perfect. I can take pics if you're interested in seeing it.

Upvote 0
Reactions: J235711
Upvote 0