Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Y with flat tire - my journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wifey found a flat tire when she was leaving the garage yesterday. I pulled the plug kit out of her trunk and had it fixed in about ten minutes, including pulling the screw out of the tread. I've never had trouble with a plug leaking whether there was foam inside or not. If I did, I'd probably put some green slime inside, and bet it would fix it. But we usually only get one flat or less a year.

I had a flat on my left rear tire one day after taking delivery. There was a screw in the tire. I plugged it myself, ordered Tesla Pucks, and drove it to a Ford dealership and they did the permanent repair using the pucks on the jack points.

I believe the ability to inflate a tire and get a tire pressure reading gets you out the vast majority of situations (to an easier repair situation). I've inflated tires with slow leaks many times and have driven them to place where the tires can be repaired. The addition of slime further solves another subset (still haven't used it). In my personal case I'm confident I can talk my significant other through using slime solution but she would be physically be unable to plug a tire. So inflator with optional slime is my minimal road trip configuration. I keep meaning to add tire plug kit since it is small but I never remember at the right time. Of course the caveat here is we travel on main roads so the ultimate backup is get help.

Reactions: jf64k
NTB and the like are vultures......I had a nail in my tire the first week. The tire places said you need to replace all 4 tires. Wut. I went to my local Texaco hood and they plugged it for free. No issues. I do think the air sensor needs a reset of sorts cause it's a little annoying when the temp drops. The tires on these Y's are the best you can buy.

I believe the ability to inflate a tire and get a tire pressure reading gets you out the vast majority of situations (to an easier repair situation). I've inflated tires with slow leaks many times and have driven them to place where the tires can be repaired. The addition of slime further solves another subset (still haven't used it). In my personal case I'm confident I can talk my significant other through using slime solution but she would be physically be unable to plug a tire. So inflator with optional slime is my minimal road trip configuration. I keep meaning to add tire plug kit since it is small but I never remember at the right time. Of course the caveat here is we travel on main roads so the ultimate backup is get help.

I agree...I have the Tesla inflator/sealant in my wife’s MY, and the inflator/sealant from my former 2017 Bolt + plug kit in my MY. I feel like we are covered for most events. If a tire gets shredded, then roadside will be called.

I had a similar thing happen last month. The car was 2 days old and had less than 100 miles on it. Drywall screw in the right rear tire. The TPM went off when I was backing out of our garage at home. I had ordered pucks and have a floor jack. Unfortunately the MY is so low to the ground the jack & puck wouldn't fit under the car. I had to inflate the bad tire to raise the car, then I was able to pull the tire and take it to a local repair shop for a plug. They did call me and say that 'corporate' doesn't want them to plug foam based tires - he thought there was concern about the chemicals from the plug degrading the foam. That said we was ok with proceeding after I gave permission after understanding 'the risks.' The guy was nice enough to not even charge me for the plug insert. I will of course be back should that tire fail in the future.

Lesson learned...not only doesn't the MY have a tire...but it doesn't have a jack or wheel bolt remover tool! FWIW, my Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid doesn't have a tire...but it does have a jack.

Important to have the pucks in the car at all times - in case you need service in the middle of nowhere. It's going to suck to get a flat on an interstate...likely to be a rest of the day blown kind of situation - as opposed to a 20 minute inconvenience from back in the day when a full sized spare used to live in the car.

Reactions: Kamban
Total BS that "chemicals from the plug degrading the foam."

You probably already know this. The "chemical" used with the plug SHOULD be the same chemical they SHOULD have used when they removed a portion of the sound-deadening foam and then reattached it after plugging the tire.

There's a very specific method to foam lined tire repair. You might want to clarify with your local repair shop exactly what they did to your tire.

Stupid question: what’s a puck (in this context)???

it goes under the bottom of the car when jacking so the battery pack doesn't get damaged

upload_2020-12-6_9-45-59.png

Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQZN1VJ/

Stupid question: what’s a puck (in this context)???

you can’t just use a jack to lift the car without placing a “jack puck” in between the jack and the car frame.

The jack pucks have a little nipple that fits perfectly into certain specified locations on the car frame. You insert the puck nipples into the frame...and then use the jack to push-up on the pucks, instead of directly on the frame.

it goes under the bottom of the car when jacking so the battery pack doesn't get damaged

View attachment 615055

Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQZN1VJ/

you can’t just use a jack to lift the car without placing a “jack puck” in between the jack and the car frame.

The jack pucks have a little nipple that fits perfectly into certain specified locations on the car frame. You insert the puck nipples into the frame...and then use the jack to push-up on the pucks, instead of directly on the frame.

Got it. Thank you for the info!

Total BS that "chemicals from the plug degrading the foam."

You probably already know this. The "chemical" used with the plug SHOULD be the same chemical they SHOULD have used when they removed a portion of the sound-deadening foam and then reattached it after plugging the tire.

There's a very specific method to foam lined tire repair. You might want to clarify with your local repair shop exactly what they did to your tire.

Here’s an article on how to patch a tire with foam in it.
Repairing ContiSilent Tires with Quiet Foam – TechLink