Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Y with flat tire - my journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wifey found a flat tire when she was leaving the garage yesterday. I pulled the plug kit out of her trunk and had it fixed in about ten minutes, including pulling the screw out of the tread. I've never had trouble with a plug leaking whether there was foam inside or not. If I did, I'd probably put some green slime inside, and bet it would fix it. But we usually only get one flat or less a year.

For those that use a plug kit to self-repair, are you doing the repair with the wheel/tire still mounted on the car? I have a long-ish trip coming and will buy a plug kit but want to ensure that a “repair while still mounted on the car” is viable as I don’t plan on carrying a jack. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

For those that use a plug kit to self-repair, are you doing the repair with the wheel/tire still mounted on the car? I have a long-ish trip coming and will buy a plug kit but want to ensure that a “repair while still mounted on the car” is viable as I don’t plan on carrying a jack. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

I plugged my S front with the wheel on the car. Very easy to turn the steering and get good angle.

I just plugged my 3 rear this past weekend at home with the wheel off the car.

I plugged my S front with the wheel on the car. Very easy to turn the steering and get good angle.

I just plugged my 3 rear this past weekend at home with the wheel off the car.

Thanks. Was thinking (after my original post) that a repair on the front would (should?) be relatively straightforward given the ability to turn the wheel as you’ve suggested. Back tire is likely more of a challenge—but still doable? Thanks again.

MJP.P3D- I'm interested to know HOW you can push a plug into the tire tread while the wheel is still on the car. Pushing at a right angle seems impossible.

Yes—this is the crux of the issue. As @brkaus suggested, a repair on the front should be doable however the rears are definitely more of a challenge given the limited access. So—is it “impossible” as you’ve articulated, or just really difficult? Or, and thus the reason for my original query, has some enterprising TMC member come up with a handy solution (process) that they're willing to share...?

Yes—this is the crux of the issue. As @brkaus suggested, a repair on the front should be doable however the rears are definitely more of a challenge given the limited access. So—is it “impossible” as you’ve articulated, or just really difficult? Or, and thus the reason for my original query, has some enterprising TMC member come up with a handy solution (process) that they're willing to share...?

How about YOU trying this????

After removing the offending nail/screw, place the T-handled plugging tool in the hole, at a 45deg angle to the tire, and have someone roll/drive the car FORWARD very slowly!!!

Let me know how that goes!

How about YOU trying this????

After removing the offending nail/screw, place the T-handled plugging tool in the hole, at a 45deg angle to the tire, and have someone roll/drive the car FORWARD very slowly!!!

Let me know how that goes!

I don’t (currently) have a nail/screw in my tire or I would try it. YOU should chill out (and maybe go take your Meds)!

Reactions: Jungl3 and CO_MY
I thought about the “prop the tool and drive forward” but I think it would likely end up with a busted tool or the plug pushed in too far.

I’m guessing a few blocks of 2x4 built like a ramp might do it? Drive up on them with the offending tire.

XXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

that’s how I deal with a low car and a floor jack.

I believe the ability to inflate a tire and get a tire pressure reading gets you out the vast majority of situations (to an easier repair situation). I've inflated tires with slow leaks many times and have driven them to place where the tires can be repaired. The addition of slime further solves another subset (still haven't used it). In my personal case I'm confident I can talk my significant other through using slime solution but she would be physically be unable to plug a tire. So inflator with optional slime is my minimal road trip configuration. I keep meaning to add tire plug kit since it is small but I never remember at the right time. Of course the caveat here is we travel on main roads so the ultimate backup is get help.

No. That uses a chemical sealant (slime). It won't work well with OEM foam insert tires. Look on Amazon. There are many tire plugging kits and compressors.

Just highlighting that slime doesn't seem like a good option for foam insert tires.

Not all sealants are the same. I used Continental sealant (water base, with my Nissan Leaf), and it worked exactly as described. Remove nail, fill tire to 40psi with sealant, drive 25-30mph to distribute evenly, stopped, looked at the hole, white sealant had come out and had dried up. Drove on the tire for a week (250 miles?), no air leakage. Took the wheel/tire to NTB (close by), they removed the tire, flushed it out with water, inspected TPMS, ALL GOOD, tire lasted another 5 k miles until an accident took it out.

HOWEVER, I've heard only negative things about sealant being used with the foam-lined tires (Tesla OEM Conti). The 5/8" thick foam can prevent the sealant from reaching the hole. In addition, the foam doesn't allow the sealant to distribute evenly, which can create balancing problems.

Hence the problem. I spoke at length with a serious car guy at my local Tesla SC, and he's been trying to find a donut spare for his BMWs for more than a decade. With the Tesla, the ONLY viable solution for driving outside Tesla service range is to carry a spare. (Yes, I know about Magic Spare, but it's almost full-size!)

I'm going to try to find someone who has, or can make, an adapter/spacer that would fit between Tesla hub and Mercedes/VAG wheel. I've located a couple of "young" used Vredestein Space Master spares from Audi or Mercedes. I might buy one and hope it will fit, with a spacer, and clear the caliper and fender opening.

What a royal PIA!!! Shame on the auto industry, eliminating the spare since how long...15, 16 years???

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC