Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Y with flat tire - my journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading all these stories kinda worries me :(

I’ve been driving my current Jeep for the last 10 years and haven’t had to consider curbs, potholes or blowouts. Only plugs for a couple screws.

But from what I read, I’m second guessing having only the Tesla tire repair kit. The frequency of tire problems seems relatively higher than what I’m used to, especially if I have the 21’’ performance Wheels. Having a spare tire and Jack might be needed for my travels. My closest SC is at 2 hours drive from me. :eek: (And knowing that they won’t help for winter aftermarket wheels)

I have a model 3 performance (2020) and got a nail in one of my Michelin Pilots... took it to Discount Tire in Lexington SC. They repaired it and it was all done efficiently. The foam in mounted inside the WHEEL NOT the tire....they never touched the foam. Never heard of "foam tire" anyway.

I have a model 3 performance (2020) and got a nail in one of my Michelin Pilots... took it to Discount Tire in Lexington SC. They repaired it and it was all done efficiently. The foam in mounted inside the WHEEL NOT the tire....they never touched the foam. Never heard of "foam tire" anyway.

That's not correct. The acoustical foam is a band/ring of 1/2-5/8" foam that is glued to the tire, underneath the tread portion of the casing.

If DT did the repair correctly, they cut out a portion of the foam around the puncture, fixed the puncture, and then re-glued the foam to the casing of the tire.

Reactions: mswlogo and brkaus
I saw the Michelin Pilot casing..rubber, no foam. Only foam was on the rims inside, between the lips of the wheel rims... DT plugged the hole with a rubber-sealing based plug. That was 8000 miles ago, and is carrying nitrogen successfully (in all tires)... no leaks no tire foam anywhere..

And air is 70% nitrogen anyway.
A long time ago, my father was getting flats regularly and while in the hospital asked me to get his Goodyears changed out to Michelins. I do not know the reason but after the tires were replaced, no more flat tires. So the tire does seem to make a difference. Apparently some are more flat prone than others.
Guys - Buy a "Modern Spare" you'll rest/drive easier.

First posting to this forum. I'm a relatively new Y owner with 6800 miles. Going on a 1000+ mile road trip and am feeling enough paranoia to want to be more prepared than having nothing. My neighbor who has a Y and a 3 has a pump with Slime. I read on another forum that Slime might not be advised. Any thoughts/opinions?

You will want to bring along a 12V powered tire inflator (the Tesla one would be ok, can be used with or without the sealant.) A set of tire plugs and a tire plug insertion tool would be good to bring too.

If you get a screw or similar small object stuck in your tire you may be able to drive the vehicle by pumping up the tire using the inflator. Then drive to where you can have the tire repaired or replaced as needed.

The only spare tire for the Tesla Model Y, at this time, is Modern Spare.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
They have a layer of foam glued to the inside of the tire to quiet them some. It is very easy and common to just remove an area of the foam where the hole is/patch is to be placed.

On a side note, I would get a plug kit with a compressor and do a field plug and fill and take it for repair at your convenience. I find nails and screws in my tires all the time, they just don't always make the tire go flat unless I pull it out.

EXACTLY.

Had a flat a couple months ago. 10 minute inconvenience. Didn’t even have to take the wheel off because it was in front. I keep a jack too in case I need to remove the tire. Plugging a rear tire on the car can be hard. Especially if really cold out.

SLIME ECO is a water-based sealant. I used Continental's sealant 2 years ago, also water-based, w/o any issues. I actually tested its usefulness, close to home. I found a screw in a tire, carefully followed Conti's directions (Nissan Leaf) and it performed exactly as advertised.

The seal lasted 10 days before I decided to have it properly patched/plugged. NTB removed the tire completely from the wheel, flushed it out with water (including the TPMS sensor), plug/patched the tire, reassembled.
The TPMS sensor was not damaged. Tire then lasted another 5k until is was damaged in an accident.

I carry the Tesla inflator/sealant (I don't know if it's water based?), AND a set of plugs. IF I can't plug the tire on the side of the road, I'd use the sealant as a last resort.

Roadtrip? Blowout? Roadside better be close enough to help out. Better to have a spare (Modern Spare)

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new LR w inductions. I have a battery powered inflation kit that I plan on keeping in the car that may be good to temporarily fix a slow leak so I can get back home, etc. I feel like a good idea is to keep an inflated full size spare, perhaps on a cheap steel rim in my garage, this way if I ever get a complete blow out and arent too far from home, I can friend/family bring the spare to me for a quick swap.

SLIME ECO is a water-based sealant. I used Continental's sealant 2 years ago, also water-based, w/o any issues. I actually tested its usefulness, close to home. I found a screw in a tire, carefully followed Conti's directions (Nissan Leaf) and it performed exactly as advertised.

The seal lasted 10 days before I decided to have it properly patched/plugged. NTB removed the tire completely from the wheel, flushed it out with water (including the TPMS sensor), plug/patched the tire, reassembled.
The TPMS sensor was not damaged. Tire then lasted another 5k until is was damaged in an accident.

I carry the Tesla inflator/sealant (I don't know if it's water based?), AND a set of plugs. IF I can't plug the tire on the side of the road, I'd use the sealant as a last resort.

Roadtrip? Blowout? Roadside better be close enough to help out. Better to have a spare (Modern Spare)

Good luck using a sealant with the foam lined tires. Both in sealing the puncture and salvaging the tire.
I don't care if Tesla sells a sealant, it's going to be a lot harder to get seal. And you will ruin the tire.

I keep a can of sealant in my car for my winter tires that are not foam lined in the event I can't plug it. I wouldn't even think of trying it on the foam lined ones.

Reactions: mark95476