Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Y with flat tire - my journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is scaring me a little as well. In 10+ years of driving (yes, I’m relatively young), all I’ve ever had was one screw in a tire. Am I extremely lucky, or are Ys/Tesla more prone to flats? I am planning on going on a 1,000 mile road trip in a couple of months (granted, all in California, so I should be able to get help from Tesla), but I’m starting to wonder if I should make some purchases before leaving. All I have is a battery operated inflator device.

I just got a flat on my MY last week. Was just about to drive off until before it told me I had a flat and then I could hear the tire hissing. It was a screw right in the middle of the tire. I pulled it out and plugged it with a kit from Amazon and then inflated the tire back up. It's been holding air steadily ever since. This was my first flat in probably the last 10 years. Hopefully these tires aren't going to be magnets for screws!

I just got a flat on my MY last week. Was just about to drive off until before it told me I had a flat and then I could hear the tire hissing. It was a screw right in the middle of the tire. I pulled it out and plugged it with a kit from Amazon and then inflated the tire back up. It's been holding air steadily ever since. This was my first flat in probably the last 10 years. Hopefully these tires aren't going to be magnets for screws!
I assume you're joking???? Some people aren't...

Well, having a spare and tools ready to go sure paid off. Got a flat the other day. It’s unrepairable. Need to wait up to 2 weeks for the exact tire replacement to arrive at the tire shop. I certainly got screwed… looks like a machine screw.

2C83DE43-5793-4128-B25C-1C57962F022E.jpeg

What are everyone's thoughts here....

I had a scheduled Service Center appt. yesterday to replace a curb rashed wheel noticed at delivery. On the way to the Service Center I received a very low tire pressure warning in the tire of the wheel being replaced. At the Service Center I told them of the low pressure and they said they would verify the tire was ok.

On an aside, upon replacing the wheel, the hubcap is now completely scratched up all over. I showed the receptionist and he took 15 min, but came back out with a brand new hub cap. Annoying, but they made it right.

Driving home the pressure was fine. A day later, so this morning, I have another low tire pressure warning. So I inspect the tire. And lo and behold, a puncture!

I just made a mobile service appt but it's not for another 2 weeks. I mention in the notes that I would have gladly paid to have it repaired while the tire was already off the wheel. Do you think Tesla will fix out of goodwill since they gave me the car back with a puncture and didn't properly inspect it? I guess I should have visually inspected it myself yesterday, but I thought the "professionals" would take care of it if needed.

Any suggestions with negotiating with Tesla Service? Should I just go to a local shop for a patch if Tesla won't fix for free or reduced rate?

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
What are everyone's thoughts here....

I had a scheduled Service Center appt. yesterday to replace a curb rashed wheel noticed at delivery. On the way to the Service Center I received a very low tire pressure warning in the tire of the wheel being replaced. At the Service Center I told them of the low pressure and they said they would verify the tire was ok.

On an aside, upon replacing the wheel, the hubcap is now completely scratched up all over. I showed the receptionist and he took 15 min, but came back out with a brand new hub cap. Annoying, but they made it right.

Driving home the pressure was fine. A day later, so this morning, I have another low tire pressure warning. So I inspect the tire. And lo and behold, a puncture!

I just made a mobile service appt but it's not for another 2 weeks. I mention in the notes that I would have gladly paid to have it repaired while the tire was already off the wheel. Do you think Tesla will fix out of goodwill since they gave me the car back with a puncture and didn't properly inspect it? I guess I should have visually inspected it myself yesterday, but I thought the "professionals" would take care of it if needed.

Any suggestions with negotiating with Tesla Service? Should I just go to a local shop for a patch if Tesla won't fix for free or reduced rate?
Just get it patched. NBD.

Just get it patched. NBD.
Yeah, I'm planning to go to my shop around the corning on Friday morning if I don't hear back from Tesla. Then I'll just cancel the mobile service.

Just annoying they didn't address it when they already had the tire off the wheel. I feel like I have to do everyone's job nowadays. I could have inspected at drop off and said "hey look, make sure you fix this."

And I will also have to tell the shop to make sure not to scratch up the hubcaps. Not sure why it was all messed up, but it's like I have to say something about every detail to ensure a job gets done the right way from the start. At least he gave me a new one.

sgalla04: Good choice. I'm 67, and have learned the hard way when to trust someone with my car, roof, dishwasher, plumbing. I've "fired" several doctors in my lifetime.
I've called off several "experts" when they...just...didn't...speak...the...right...language.

Yeah, I'm planning to go to my shop around the corning on Friday morning if I don't hear back from Tesla. Then I'll just cancel the mobile service.

Just annoying they didn't address it when they already had the tire off the wheel. I feel like I have to do everyone's job nowadays. I could have inspected at drop off and said "hey look, make sure you fix this."

And I will also have to tell the shop to make sure not to scratch up the hubcaps. Not sure why it was all messed up, but it's like I have to say something about every detail to ensure a job gets done the right way from the start. At least he gave me a new one.
Well, you should just remove the wheel covers anyway, naked Geminis (or actually, Apollos) are the best..... :cool: