Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand of 14-50 Outlet ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was reading through Tesla's "Home Charging Installation" sheet for the NEMA 14-50 outlet. I noticed they specified two brands of "industrial" outlets:

Hubbell part # HBL9450A,
Cooper part #5754N

These list for around $50-90

The Leviton ones available at home improvement stores seem to be around $10.

Can the outlets Tesla suggests be $80 better?

What are people using?

I went with what Home Depot had. About $10. I don't have the car yet (next couple of weeks), but I'm sure it should be adequate. The cheaper ones probably are not meant for heavy duty cycles (many inserts and removals), but I wont be doing that. If it seems to wear out or be "lose" in feel, I may replace or upgrade to a more expensive version. Simple process since I did my own install...

FWIW, if you are thinking of removing and inserting your UMC NEMA 14-50 a lot, maybe do what I did and buy a 2nd NEMA 14-50 adapter from TM. When you need to unplug and take your UMC with you, disconnect at the adapter and leave it plugged into the NEMA 14-50R receptacle. The wear and tear now shifts to the adapter and UMC. Yes, the receptacle is cheap to replace, but maybe the labor and down time will offset the cost of the extra TM adapter. YMMV.

maybe do what I did and buy a 2nd NEMA 14-50 adapter from TM

I would get an HPWC and keep the UMC in the car.

Side note: I also keep a UMC permanently plugged into a 14-50 and have an extra UMC for travel. The extra UMC was bought several years ago when the price difference between UMC and HPWC was large. Now they are virtually the same price in the Tesla store.

View media item 115790Look at my outlet and tell me you want to see this. Spend the extra money. According to Tesla, Hubbel and Cooper outlets are commercial grade and made to withstand the extra heat and repeated use. My melting issue was from a loose contact, but still...had it not already been 100 degrees in my garage, maybe it wouldn't have been an issue.

Not sure the image is pulling up. If not...its melted around one contact.

Last edited: