Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Break in... no Sentry video :-(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my Model S got broken into a few days ago and annoyingly, I have no video to show for it. I'm on version 2019.16.3.2 which I had set up to automatically turn on Sentry Mode when parked, but apparently, my USB stick was full so nothing got recorded. I have no idea if the horn turned on or if loud music played. Nothing was taken... because there really wasn't anything to take. The car was parked in a busy, well-lit area in downtown Oakland between 5 and 8 pm, so it didn't seem that risky.

I had been seeing Sentry events for the past couple of weeks since upgrading on June 4th, but after checking a few times it seemed like this was being triggered by cars or people moving nearby. The 30GB USB stick was nowhere near full, so I thought it was flushing old videos as new ones were added - but I'm now not sure if that was true (anyone know for sure?) I was surprised there was no message or warning that the stick was full.

Clearly, a warning that the memory stick is full would be highly desirable! I also hope that someday I will be able to review the video on the main display and not have to wait until I get home, remove the memory stick and put it into a computer.

Should I get a larger memory stick? How do events get saved or deleted? Does anyone know the logic? Also, it seems like the video from the right side camera is often corrupted or empty. Do I have a bad camera? I'm gonna have that checked when I have my local (Berkeley) Tesla shop replace the glass later this week.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions!

Broken Tesla Window.JPG

If you removed the drive since the event, you may still have recordings in the Recent folder. That's the 60 min buffer... even when the drive is full, I think the 60 min buffer still will circulate and record in 1 min interval. The event has to happened within the 1 hour before you unplugged the drive.... and you have not plugged it back into your car since.

This is another case of Tesla trying (badly) to do something that's already been done. Get real dashcams installed, by real dashcam makers.
Tesla is the jack of all trades, master of none.

Sorry but that's a crappy way to look at a feature Tesla added, for free no less, to help attempt to deter all the break ins to cars particularly in the Bay area with lots of tech workers with electronics stash in their trunks while parked (Teslas or not, they are all there for the picking). The cars weren't designed for this but since the camera were there they came up with the software. Will be much better when additional cameras can be put in use but I suspect right now we are limited by the equipment in the cars. Despite that there is plenty of evidence online of Sentry Mode diverting a break in with the lights/horn/music/screen warning, capturing the video of and faces of those commiting the crime (some police forces have had successful charges filed). Plus there's TeslaCam recording accidents happening. Not perfect by any means, upgrades continue to happen, but I'd say most people find it a valuable addition. Goes without saying however that people need to read the manual on how to operate it so they know what it can do and it's limitations.

And BTW our MS had a high end 2-channel Blackvue recording in parking mode back in 2017 when our car was broken into. Guy either didn't see the dashcam when he approached from the rear and broke the small triangular window or simply didn't care because they do this crime with little recrimination as the police won't investigate/pursue (we took footage to them and were basically told it would just sit there). After hitting our car our perp sauntered over to a few other cars and busted out the entire rear window of an SUV he wanted to get to their storage area.

When it comes down to it no car is immune to this even if you have a "real dashcam". Sounds from your comments you just don't like Tesla. They are way ahead of other EV manufacturers though.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me, but if you enable data sharing Tesla also keeps a copy of the video uploaded over LTE for 72 hours. They thought about it, since otherwise you'd be SOL if someone took the USB stick. The presence of a back-up copy was mentioned in the note displayed when clicking “i” next to the Sentry Mode entry.

Break in Saturday morning. Asked for a copy on Monday using mail to my Service Center, received it on Tuesday.