Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Break in without breaking glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the input everyone. I’m going to assume my son didn’t close the trunk completely and I just didn’t notice. I like the idea of turning off BT too, just in case, and I’ll activate the PIN. Hopefully that covers it going forward.

Thanks for the reply GtiMart. I suppose that’s a possibility for gaining access to the cabin but I would think that would set off the alarm? It also doesn’t explain how they got into the glovebox without breaking anything- unless the touch screen is active as soon as the door is opened- even without a key? I’ll have to test that out.

If the car is unlocked and you open the door, it will wake up and show the touch screen, and allow you into the glove box and anything else except for putting it into gear.

I use the PIN to Drive function and glovebox PIN lock. You never know if a zero day flaw appears. Anything can happen with software.
Same here... always PIN to drive.

Oh... and BOLLARDS as well... and cameras... and geofence notifications... and 130db attack sirens... and other 'game-on' assistance available at short notice 🤭😁

Even our Postman has developed a nervous twitch coming to our house now.

Car Jacking is real...

Attachments

• 20210914_133705.jpg
    20210914_133705.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
I’ve been searching for reports of break-ins without a broken window but it seems like that’s the most common method. My M3 was broken into last night, including accessing the glove box, and there are no signs of how they got in and the alarm never went off (sentry mode was not on). Only thing that was missing was the charging adapter.

Is it common, or is there a known hack to get inside the car, and open the glovebox without breaking anything?

Why not steal the charger too? Is that somehow tied to the car?

Thanks. I really just curious as I’m still puzzled about how they got in.model3