Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Break Into Tesla Model 3 Trunk in Under 15 Seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
As advance as the Model 3 is...it is fairly easy to break-into the trunk.

Most modern cars only place the seat release in the trunk or have locking mechanisms. Since Tesla's don't have any glass-breakage sensors or motion alarms...we are going to see breakins like these happen.

It is possible that Tesla has sensors that detects folded seats and can allow the software to sound an alarm...or use the interior camera to detect motion while the car is locked...but as of right now...they aren't any security features to prevent this from happening.

Already have seen that happen to Model S

The S is a hatchback and thieves (especially in the bay area) already learned that it lacks window breakage alarms. That is one of the drawbacks associated with hatchbacks but most people wouldn't expect the same to exist in a conventional trunk.

That's the same with just every car that has foldable seat....

My previous Honda, Acura, and Cadillac only allowed for one to fold the seat from the inside of the trunk or had a locking mechanism (with a key) in the interior. The Tesla doesn't have any locking mechanism.

Reactions: cwerdna
Thieves don’t know that the trunk is empty until they see it for themselves ;)

Or they watch you open your trunk when you leave....and they can see everything you have inside.

Happened to me before in SF, I opened my trunk to get my camera out of my camera bag. My laptop bag and backpack was taken but the thieves didn’t take the camera bag (which still contained my GoPro). The windows were super tinted and it was at night so they must have had someone watching

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Most modern cars have an electronic release that only operates when the ignition is on
And, some cars (like my 02 Nissan Maxima) had a mechanical thing you moved over in the trunk to prevent opening via the electrically operated lever and the key fob. It also lets you lock the rear seat backs w/a key. I just confirmed this all in the manual.

The '12 Altima I posted a video from also has a cancel switch in the locking glovebox to disable the trunk lid release switch + some other things.

Video at
explains this.

Last edited:
On the MS, replacing the small door window is much more than just a piece of glass. A fairly expensive repair, from what I've heard. Hopefully the M3 is not so bad.

I have alarm stickers on that window and the rear seats folded down most of the time. Two benefits of doing the latter on the MS:
1. The miscreants can see that there's nothing of value in the trunk (at least most of the time) and
2. Rear view visibility is much improved with the center head rest not blocking my line of sight through the rear view mirror.

Most modern cars have an electronic release that only operates when the ignition is on

Be careful with a “most” statement. Your correct for BMW.

Honda/Acura trunk buttons work with the car off. Sure, can be disabled in the glove box, but who does that?

Another pet peeve of mine. Smash a window of a Honda/Acura sitting in someone’s drive and use the homelink button to open the garage.

Meh. This is so common. Here's a randomly selected video of a Lincoln MKZ being accessible in 15 seconds...

Problem with the locking ones if that the thief will attempt it anyway, in case it was left unlocked.

Best solution I have had was a 3 door saloon where the seat catches were inside the boot. It was a bit of a PITA but it worked.

As advance as the Model 3 is...it is fairly easy to break-into the trunk.

Most modern cars only place the seat release in the trunk or have locking mechanisms. Since Tesla's don't have any glass-breakage sensors or motion alarms...we are going to see breakins like these happen.

It is possible that Tesla has sensors that detects folded seats and can allow the software to sound an alarm...or use the interior camera to detect motion while the car is locked...but as of right now...they aren't any security features to prevent this from happening.

I am pretty sure that Elon tweeted this week asking what improvements can be made to the car. Why dont you ask him to ADD a electronic actuator? Not a cheap or quick fix but can be done for the new model S refresh or next years model 3

Breaking news, breaking a container allows access to its contents, more at 5.
Best post ever!

Also, the same applies to every car I've owned with fold down seats. On the plus side, like my Prius, sticking stuff in the storage space under the floor may provide a smidge more security just because it's a pain to get in there.

Bonus points for having a lot of useless crap in your trunk to make everything harder for everyone, including yourself!