Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Break Into Tesla Model 3 Trunk in Under 15 Seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Come-on this is not rocket science. How can we excuse a $49K car where you can't "secure" anything in either the trunk or frunk. This is poor design, plan and simple. The competition (Mercedes C-class) only allow the fold down seat to be released from inside the trunk, and cockpit release button is disabled if cars not started.

Tesla should have known about this problem and addressed it on the M3, since it's so common a problem on the MS.
No it's not a deal breaker, but certainly Tesla should have designed a more secure trunk/frunk.

Point is thieves are breaking that quarter panel to access the seat to get a quick look. Great if you don't have anything but the cost of having to replace that small window and time sucks. It's the same for any car but being a "Tesla", there's that image that there might be better goodies than a average car like how we get raped for window tinting and other products.

• Informative
Reactions: drdumont
It's just as easy in just about ANY car that doesn't have window-breaking sensors. You can break the driver side and then pull the trunk latch.
I found out the hard way that if the alarm is set in my Buicks, the trunk release pushbutton on the dash does not work if the alarm is set. Keys fell in the trunk when I left for work. I got the door open, alarm blaring, but no trunk access. So I got a long piece of wood, taped a hook on the end, and through the rear seat ski hatch, I grabbed the emergency release with it. There is now a key secured behind something which takes a screwdriver to access. The barn is securely locked now that the horse has left...

Point is thieves are breaking that quarter panel to access the seat to get a quick look. Great if you don't have anything but the cost of having to replace that small window and time sucks. It's the same for any car but being a "Tesla", there's that image that there might be better goodies than a average car like how we get raped for window tinting and other products.

Now I understand the reasoning for the little window "protector" sold by 3rd party companies. Never thought of that.