Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Break light come on: During TACC/Autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Do you know if when the MX goes into regen braking that the brake lights come on? I notice the break lights shows-up on the visualization dashboard when I actually physically hit the break, but I don't see it comes ON at the dashboard during the MX slow down during the TACC/Autopilot. Checking as it could be a potential safety issue.

The visualization is an accurate representation of what is happening.

The brake lights do come on for regen at high enough levels whether manual or on TACC, and will come on for brakes immediately in both manual and TACC.

There are actually specific government rules about how much regen must occur before the brake lights come on, and how much the brake lights must come on for - which Tesla of course complies with.

Thank you for the responses. How much regen (slowdown) is required for the break lights to come on. The reason I'm concerned is yesterday while I was on the highway, a few other cars behind my MX kept honking when the car slowed down and I didn't notice the break lights to the visualization dashboard.

Thank you for the responses. How much regen (slowdown) is required for the break lights to come on. The reason I'm concerned is yesterday while I was on the highway, a few other cars behind my MX kept honking when the car slowed down and I didn't notice the break lights to the visualization dashboard.

The U.S. regulations are rather vague on the subject as I recall, and a little time with the Google didn't change my mind on that.

Here's the EU regulation, which I believe U.S. cars meet despite not needing to:

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R13hr2e.pdf

On page 22 there's a comprehensive list of when the brake lights should and shouldn't come on.

For regenerative braking, it says they shall not be illuminated at deceleration below .7 m/s^2, may be lit between that and 1.3 m/s^2, and must be lit above that.

Reactions: jboy210
Hi, Do you know if when the MX goes into regen braking that the brake lights come on? I notice the break lights shows-up on the visualization dashboard when I actually physically hit the break, but I don't see it comes ON at the dashboard during the MX slow down during the TACC/Autopilot. Checking as it could be a potential safety issue.
From the Model X Manual:

Note: When Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is actively slowing down Model X to maintain the selected distance from the vehicle ahead, brake lights turn on to alert other road users that you are slowing down. You may notice slight movement of the brake pedal. However, when Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is accelerating Model X, the accelerator pedal does not move.

I used to use the image in the dash display to tell when the brake lights were on. But the updated image is mostly too small to actually see the lights in it. Even with the old display I could only really see the center light. With the new one I can't see any of them. Oddly there is a very faint "reflection" of the brake lights on the roadway, but that is too faint to see clearly and quickly.

I want to know if the lights come on when slowing down. Regardless of the rules about when they should be on, I care whether the guy riding my bumper knows my car is regenning. I know they don't come on all the time, so I use the display to know in the cases when someone is riding my bumper.

I want to know if the lights come on when slowing down. Regardless of the rules about when they should be on, I care whether the guy riding my bumper knows my car is regenning. I know they don't come on all the time, so I use the display to know in the cases when someone is riding my bumper.
Exactly.. that is my concern too!

I used to use the image in the dash display to tell when the brake lights were on. But the updated image is mostly too small to actually see the lights in it. Even with the old display I could only really see the center light. With the new one I can't see any of them. Oddly there is a very faint "reflection" of the brake lights on the roadway, but that is too faint to see clearly and quickly.

Strange complaint. When someone is riding my butt and I am driving an ICE car I stab the brakes with my left foot while pressing the gas with my right. Great fun! They can go ....

Strange complaint. When someone is riding my butt and I am driving an ICE car I stab the brakes with my left foot while pressing the gas with my right. Great fun! They can go ....

I prefer not to provoke anyone. I've had wackos come after me more than once for simply slowing down a bit. One guy actually pulled right in front of me and hit his brakes.

The only thing I have in my favor is that I can prevent them from ever passing me in this car by using the gas pedal. Well, the accelerator pedal...