Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breaker for NEMA 14-30 socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Finally got my first EV. So satisfied except the charging speed at home..
We keep forgetting plugging in right after the ride and at night realize it was not charging. Then it is not charged when I need it in the morning..

So I am thinking to add 14-30 socket in my detached garage which is supplied by double pole 40A CB from the house circuit board.
I guess it will help even if I start charging before bed time.

First question is if NEMA 14-30 with 30A breaker would be good for my garage?
There is a double pole 40A CB in the house main panel to the garage sub-panel.
In the garage sub-panel there are already two 15A breakers for lights and the garage door and wall sockets..
I think 14-30 with 30A CB would be OK but just wanted to get some advice from others.

And the second is whether 14-30 requires GFCI CB.. 14-50 seems like need a GFCI but not sure about 14-30.. or GFCI requirement is for all EV charging regardless of CB size?

Thanks guys

Reactions: fascenda
Correct. The purpose of the breaker is to protect the wiring and fixtures, nothing more. So deliberately undersizing the breaker in an effort to eliminate nuisance trips would simply cause more nuisance trips. Albeit perhaps in a more convenient location.

All that's needed is to set the charger limit once and verify with the bootup lights:
1676144350711.png

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Upvote 0