Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breakers for Tesla wall connector installed in Condo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All!

I’m new to this forum and just have one queation:

I’m living in Toronto and planning to install a Tesla wall connector to my condo parking lot. The electrician suggest me to upgrade breaker from 40A to 60A because “As per ESA if an equipment has multiple feature options, they should be installed to the maximum capacity in order to pass ESA”. The wire also needs to be upgrade so will cost more $$.

Has anyone have similar experience? I have the RWD Model 3 so 32A is maximum. Should the connector must be installed to the maximum capacity?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hello All!

I’m new to this forum and just have one queation:

I’m living in Toronto and planning to install a Tesla wall connector to my condo parking lot. The electrician suggest me to upgrade breaker from 40A to 60A because “As per ESA if an equipment has multiple feature options, they should be installed to the maximum capacity in order to pass ESA”. The wire also needs to be upgrade so will cost more $$.

Has anyone have similar experience? I have the RWD Model 3 so 32A is maximum. Should the connector must be installed to the maximum capacity?
I would agree. My situation is a bit different. I had a SunCountry Highway L2 25 amp, running off a 30 amp breaker. My choice to go to a Tesla Wall Connector, was purely out of vanity. The cost to got from 30 to 60 amps would've required a wire gauge upgrade which I felt not needed. the 30 or even 40 amp breaker is more than sufficient for me as I let mine charge to a 70% SoC. The programming is ridiculously simple and Tesla support was on my call with me.
Key point:
  • Do you have a guest network WiFi available in your garage?
  • If yes, it will be really easier
  • If not, you will need to use your phone as an access point to update the WC
  • The config of the WC is through a web page on your phone and really simple. The electrician had zero clue or knowledge how to do that needed up just doing the setup
  • Make sure that they also install a cutoff switch near the WC as the breaker is usually in an electrical room/panel.

DM me and I can call you if you wish.

I would ask Soul Surfer about this, I believe that he went through the same thing

@Soul Surfer
Thanks for that

@Soul Surfer

Great thanks! The upgrade of wire and breaker will cost about $400 so it’s still reasonable. I’m thinking of Tesla connector because it has build in lock on VINs and will be good for underground parking (I work all day with car outside and there’s over 20 EVs in building) just want to make sure if the upgrade is necessary and reasonable and, if ESA really have that requirement.

Make sure that they install some sort of cut-off to the circuit as there is no physical on/off or plug to pull out.

IMG_0994.jpeg