Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breaking customer promises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its reasonable that if am told that I get unlimited supercharging when I am buying the car, AND I am told it will carry over if I buy a new car, it will actually happen. I think it is unreasonable to think that customer would have to change cars within say 6 months or a year after just buying a new car because that promise might be withdrawn.
That’d be my thinking too.

Unless you specified it one way or another, you are bound legally.

To clarify, as I tried before: For me this isn't about free stuff. At all.
It is about what it meant to me when I bought my original Tesla. It was special for me. It stands for the choice I made at that time to take a risk with a new company that was pro environment and pro customer, an amazing breath of fresh air compared to any other, and pay a premium to never use gas again. During the process, and after I received the car, I was informed that this special feature would carry over if I would buy any new car.

Now that I am taking Telsa up on that, just 2 years after I bought this car, I am super disappointed how Tesla silently, without any note sent to me, one-sided changed the text in MY account of MY car, and just broke that promise. I am just disappointed in a company that I held in such a high esteem. It's like, wow, so this is how you thank me for spreading the word, getting 4 people to buy a Telsa, and for me upgrading to a newer model after only two years.

I am not expecting a special treatment or a discount, or extra goodies, for being a loyal customer. I am simply asking that was was promised when I bought my car. Seems reasonable and the very minimum to expect from a decent customer service perspective.

And regarding helping with the Tesla expansion, well I think that's what I am doing by buying another car.
EXACTLY.

The way I see it, we (I) don’t want any special treatment.
Just be honest and treat your customers the way they should be treated.

That’d be my thinking too.

So are you saying that because Tesla is offering a car for a specific price on their site today, without any associated date, that they have to allow you to buy the car for that price anytime ever in the future and that they can never change the price?

Interested if you think that should be for your lifetime?
That is not up to me to decide. If Tesla wants to limit it to condition xyz, Tesla should make that clear in their text. If Tesla still wants to break that promise (made by Musk in interviews, made by salesperson when I shopped for a Tesla, and made in writing in my account) then Tesla should have the courtesy to inform their customers. None of that happened. Instead, silently, without evena single notice to me, the text was silently changed, and not only that, I came to see that text recently, with an expiration date of almost one year ago!

they don't have my best interest in mind.
Well, my bad, I was indeed so naive to think Tesla actually DID have their customers best interest in mind. Especially loyal and early adapters. These are the customers that helped Tesla grow and convinced everyone to buy a Tesla.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
One observation:

A Tesla value is that they treat their customer the same. Unlike other car companies/dealers -No 'one off' discounts or special deals. You could buy 10 Model S's at the same time and you will pay the same price per car as the guy buying 1. Tesla does groups customer for special deals like reservation holders, previous owners - but no "one offs" for individual customers. Some people like this, I don't as I tend to be able to negotiate good deals.

What the OP wants would be accommodated (in some form) by most car dealers given the circumstances of two high price cars bought with in 2 years and looking for an incentive of small value. They might not give actually supercharger but they would come up with something to make him happy if at all possible.

But Tesla does not do 'one off's' if they do it for the OP or they do it for everyone. Sticking to their value cost the a car sale, but at least they are being consistent.

• Disagree
That is not up to me to decide. If Tesla wants to limit it to condition xyz, Tesla should make that clear in their text. If Tesla still wants to break that promise (made by Musk in interviews, made by salesperson when I shopped for a Tesla, and made in writing in my account) then Tesla should have the courtesy to inform their customers. None of that happened. Instead, silently, without evena single notice to me, the text was silently changed, and not only that, I came to see that text recently, with an expiration date of almost one year ago!

Well, my bad, I was indeed so naive to think Tesla actually DID have their customers best interest in mind. Especially loyal and early adapters. These are the customers that helped Tesla grow and convinced everyone to buy a Tesla.

Both parties are responsible when entering into a contact. You assumed that the offer was for lifetime, but it was not stated in anything you posted. If you want a company to honour something in perpetuity then it would be wise it have it in writing.

Public companies do have their costumer best interest in mind when it benefits them but creating Shareholder value is number one.

• Disagree
I don’t see anything stating you get free supercharging on any S and X purchase forever.

Me too. I also think it's unreasonable to interpret any offer as to continue indefinitely. That makes no sense and is just wishful thinking, at least in my view.

Under what law? Contract law requires (1) offer (2) acceptance, and (3) consideration. Without all three, it is not legally binding. Tesla withdrew the offer before it was available for acceptance and no law requires withdrawal of offers to be made known, or they are deemed to be open for acceptance. That would turn fundamental principles of contract law on its head and fill the courts with claims of people jumping on offers from years ago.

So are you saying that because Tesla is offering a car for a specific price on their site today, without any associated date, that they have to allow you to buy the car for that price anytime ever in the future and that they can never change the price?

Did I say that?

Seems to me you did too but I guess we misunderstood given your reply that you didn't say what we thought you said.

I think the OP not buying over this is like cutting off the nose to spite the face. I don't see it as the answer. Even if you convince another 100 people not to buy, it won't show on Tesla's financials. So hurting yourself and others by not buying a Tesla is not the answer. But I do admire your integrity even though in my view it is misguided, and only hurts you.

For those who are defending Tesla, what is your understanding of that timeline? If you were in OP's shoes, would you think that the free supercharging would be applied to the new car if purchased within 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? or????
The free supercharging would be applied for any new S and X purchased while that message is in his account. That's how I read it. You can interpret the statement multiple ways, but I think the OP was being slightly naive with his interpretation.

Hi Unpilot,
Just saw your note come in while i was still working on my pc. No way that I would ever go back to an ICE :)
I just wont upgrade my current Tesla AP1 75D to a newer model. I will keep it for as long as I can, I just wont be able to enjoy the newer autopilot or FSD. And who knows, some years from today I buy another EV. Just not from Tesla, they spoiled the experience for me. I guess I kept Tesla to higher standards. Had it happened with any other brand I would not have been surprised or disappointed, but just expected it. Tesla felt more like a community than a brand. But so far I didnt hear any follow up anymore from the Tesla employees I worked with from the moment the store manager canceled my order and said he would just refund me. I guess I was too naive that Tesla would still come around...

By the way, I see you are in IL as well. Where are you based?
I live down south of Chicago about 2 hours. I am based as a pilot in Atlanta.
I get your frustration and in one sense the communication issue is a ongoing problem with Tesla.

However I would not let what IMHO is a relatively small issue derail me from buying the best EV on the planet.
I see you currently own one and really with minimal care it will probably last you forever...so glad your still in the family:D

Ah, could have figured with our alias you'd be a pilot :) True this is still the best EV available right now.

Thanks for the supportive comments.
As other also mentioned, I may have been naive. Had it been any other car company I would have been very guarded when I would get a promise like that verbally and in my account, but I didn't realize I couldn't trust Telsa either. At the same time, would there be anyone when getting this promise, and seeing this note in their account, who would decide a week after getting the car, gee, let me buy a 2nd Tesla quickly, before they change their promise. Tesla was for me more than just a car brand, and I expected a little more honesty and customer loyalty. I guess that is my main disappointment. Lesson learned, I do know now.

Reactions: Tam
Unfortunately I have a very disappointing experience about a broken Tesla promise I feel I should share.
I cannot believe I am saying this, as I was always such a HUGE fan of Tesla, and have convinced several friends to buy a Tesla as well, but with this attitude the company lost my trust and just completely dropped me as a customer!

When I bought my first Tesla in 2016, I would get unlimited supercharging if I ever decided to purchase a new car.
That was displayed in writing in my Tesla account. I have a screenshot, but cannot attach that here.

With that in mind I ordered a new Tesla last week, in time to benefit the Tax credit.
I just found out that Tesla no longer offered the supercharging carry-over since 10/19, and without any notification to the customer withdrew that promise and changed the content in my online account about this matter.

The store manager spoke to his managers, and they told him they will not honor the promise that was written in my account. Since I would never have chosen to upgrade to a new car if this would mean losing free supercharging, the manager started to refund my down payment.

In other words, Tesla rather breaks a customer promise, instead of selling me a new car.
This is the company that I have been advocating for the last two years to everyone...
I understand if certain changes must be made, but it is NOT cool to break a promise to a customer.

Even a request to talk to higher management to make things right, seems to get nowhere....

Any ideas how I could get Tesla ot honor that was displayed in my account?
BTW, when I ordered my new car, I checked my account and noticed the original text was still there, but now with the addition of "if ordered before January 2018 " Huh? Why even leave that text in there then...

Considering how often Elon lies on twitter and how he like to bend the truth its not surprising at all for Tesla to do this.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanks for your responses.
And yes, I get it that some say its overrated and that I can afford to pay for this when I can afford a new Tesla. I am already investing in the company by buying a car again after only two years.
It's about the principle. Tesla made a promise in clear writing in my account. It's not cool to suddenly withdraw a promise

Tesla has a tendency to "forget about" and then violate its promises. It's one of the things I really seriously dislike about the company. If you'd like, you can sue them and force them to comply.

I NEVER thought I'd say this, and for some of you here who been watching me post for years and have seen how many times I have been called a fanboy, but I really hope traditional automakers get their act together on EVs quickly so I never have to buy another Tesla again... That's honestly how I feel right now.
I actually agree, except that I'm pretty sure the traditional automakers will NEVER get their act together, so I'm waiting for the Chinese imports.

Tesla has had years to get this *sugar* straightened out and they've only gotten worse. They are a PITA to deal with and violate express and implied contracts with customers routinely -- more out of total grotesque incompetence than out of ill will, but it has the same result for the customers.

For those who are defending Tesla, what is your understanding of that timeline? If you were in OP's shoes, would you think that the free supercharging would be applied to the new car if purchased within 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? or????

I would assume that the free supercharging would apply to the next new Tesla which the owner bought, whenever they bought it. But not to a *third* car. That's the natural interpretation.

However, if you've been with Tesla long enough, you should know that its terms and prices can change at any time without notification.

The only way you can lock in the price and its terms is to buy it.

Sure, get it while you can. AND, may I add, it sometimes goes the other direction. Sometimes you buy it, and then 2 weeks later the price goes down or new/important hardware starts shipping (e.g., facelift, AP 2.5 hardware).

Legally, anything on the website that is not also in your purchase agreement is not an obligation.

Ethically, I think a lot of this is wrong and Tesla needs to really look at their approach, before they tick off too many customers.

They have to stop announcing programs as if they are forever when they are not. And, since they drop new pricing/equipment anytime vs new model year, they need to find a way to compensate owners who "just missed the boat" on new equipment or a price cut. The conventional auto model does this with incentives that begin halfway through the model year. Tesla needs to find a new model.

for the record, i agree with the OP. it's a principle thing. and the company simply does not treat their customers right.

and even though i own their stock and their cars, honestly i hope they go down the drain and end up bankrupt. that way a real car company can buy whatever scraps are left and run it like a real car company should be run.

for the record, i agree with the OP. it's a principle thing. and the company simply does not treat their customers right.

and even though i own their stock and their cars, honestly i hope they go down the drain and end up bankrupt. that way a real car company can buy whatever scraps are left and run it like a real car company should be run.
Could not disagree more! Yes there are some issues to sort out, but no entrenched car company could or would have the product and delivery model innovation and outside the box thinking. Really, full BEV commitment, self driving commitment, direct sales model, continuous product improvement model, mobile service... the list of great innovations is long. Just some kinks to work out.